076 injector advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
076 injector advice
Because (at least) one of my injectors is making a lot of noise, the engine is making the "ticking" sound up to about 3000 RPM and I'm getting rubbish MPG I'm looking to replace my injectors with a good set of 076 injectors.
However, I don't really know what to look out for when shopping for a good replacement set.

I've found these on ebay and I'd like to have some opinions about them before buying anyhting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-CITRO...SwfTVapql6
Listed as untested but guaranteed to work because it was a replacement set. Don't really know what to think of it though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Peuge...SwisVZsTz9
These look good. Nice and clean and come with 3 months warranty.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Picas...SwbAZaln1U
These don't really look as good as the other ones and the price is much higher. Might just be looks thought.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks given by:
I just put a set of reconditioned 076’s in mine don’t tick and I know there new.

Personally any sale made off eBay will be sold as seen so your taking a punt as to wether or not they’ve done the mileage the seller says they have, personally if you have the budget I’d just put a set of recon ones in they weren’t that expensive from memory. Or just take a chance on some low mileage 076’s off eBay.
[Image: ForumSignature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It's not just mileage, it's how they've been stored after removal and what fuel they've been run on.

I bought a 'good low mileage' set from ebay a few years ago, they didn't tick but caused a drop in power and worse economy than the originals so I put them back and just put up with the noise.
Thanks given by:
Recon injectors all the way for me, made a huge difference to my project car. Costs are pretty high, so I'd only do it if you're sure you'll be keeping the car for a fair few miles.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
How much difference do you think a set of refurbished injectors would make on a 100k mile engine? Do you think you'd even notice it?
Thanks given by:
I put some in a 120k car and gained a significant amount of mpg, can't remember figures as it was years ago now. Definitely worth it though, plus the noise went and it idled smoother.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
when does one know they need replacing?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(25-03-2018, 05:52 PM)Poodle Wrote: I put some in a 120k car and gained a significant amount of mpg, can't remember figures as it was years ago now. Definitely worth it though, plus the noise went and it idled smoother.

Sounds interesting, was there anything wrong with the original injectors?
Thanks given by:
They were ticking loudly and had high leak-off rates.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I've taken the gamble and ordered one of the sets off ebay and also ordered a set of fire seals from a local parts store. I'll install them when they arrive and I'll post an update about the results.

Obviously recon injectors are better but I don't have the budget for that right now as my turbo is also leaking oil like mad and there is some front suspension stuff I need to work out Sad
Thanks given by:
Do you think a good set of nozzles will help reduce smoke at all?
Thanks given by:
On final question before taking stuff apart.
The Haynes manual says to replace the high-pressure fuel pipes but I also see people reusing the old ones.
What would you guys advise? Use the old ones or get some new piping from Peugeot?
Thanks given by:
Old ones are fine. Just make sure you line them up before tightening them up.

Only think to really replace are the copper seals.
Thanks given by:
Thanks, I'll make sure to line them up properly.
Already got myself a fresh set of fire seals so that's sorted.
Thanks given by:
I've replaced them today and the ticking/rattle is pretty much gone. Only when accelerating at WOT it is slightly noticeable.
Then engine seems to run smoother overall, so job done. I'll keep the old ones around for a little while and when I feel like it I'll take them apart to see what's going on (I'm curious by nature Tongue)
Thanks again for the info.
Thanks given by:
Good to hear it worked out well! Big Grin

Best technique for tightening up and re-using old fuel pipes that I have found always works for me.

1) Place the pipes in position gently and get them lined up and seated as best as you can
2) Hand tighten both the ends gently.
3) Wiggle the pipe slightly so it seats even better
4) Keep hand tightening as far as you possibly can and repeating that procedure until the pipe barely moves when you try and wiggle it.
5) Nip down the ends to a decent tightness.

I have had a garage re-seat a pipe before on my other car. It was pi***ng diesel out all over the top of the engine. I took it apart again fearing they would have damaged the pipe and managed to get it to re-seat and seal fully with that technique above Smile
Thanks given by:
Nice explanation, that's exactly how I do mine.
Thanks given by: