Should it stay or should it go?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should it stay or should it go?
'Sup,

My trusty 306 has just been in for its MOT, and came out with no advisories other than a slightly loose bumper, but... the head gasket is gone. There's some oil in the water etc, though I've not noticed any overheating myself, temperature gauge hasn't been going beyond normal or anything, and the oil hasn't been milky, so I'm of the opinion that, as of now it's not 'that bad'. I can drive it, but the mecahnic of course has said 'the less miles the better'. I need to do a 100 mile round trip this weekend and I'm pretty confident it will survive as I think it's probably been gone a few weeks and I've been driving a lot not noticing a problem. Anyway, I've got about a week to decide whether to get it fixed or whether to get a new car. There's a bit of a problem with the idle control valve I personally think as well, which hopefully wouldn't be too much of a fix with the gasket. But my predicament is.... I've no idea what to do, and am wondering what you guys would do?

I really love this car, it's my first car and it's been so reliable; I've done about 40,000 miles in the past 3 years on him, with fairly heavy loads etc. I've had some stuff done, a new coil pack, a new windscreen motor arm, but mostly just wearables - clutch, tyres. The clutch has only done about 20k! The engine is getting on a bit, but given that it went through the MOT so smoothly, I'm thinking that perhaps forking out the £300 or so to get the head gasket done may be the right thing to do. But it's done 152k miles now, that's a lot, but people said it was a lot 30k ago. Having purchased it for £500 and spent about £800 on it since, it's been a brilliant car, and may continue to be so for another year? I can scout a good car for £600 odd quid now, but the clutch may go the next day, anything can happen, so is it better 'the devil you know'? Because of the mileage and space I require I've been looking at bigger things, but being 24, have to be careful about insurance premiums going through the roof. Ideally, I'd love a 306 estate but I've spent the past couple of days glued to screen and there just doesn't seem to be that much out there right now.

If I had the time / contacts, I'd source another 1.4 engine and get that put in, all would be well! But I don't.

What would you do?

Cheers,
Harry.
Thanks given by:
Welcome.

Sounds like a trusty car! Always worth spending money on keeping a car going that you know runs well than buying something completely new with no real ides on how it has been treated etc.

I would say buy a 306 HDI or stick a low mileage HDI lump in your current 306 if it was me and I was on a budget.
Thanks given by:
If you’re handy I expect a tu hg to be as easy as they come.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
yeh i scrapped my 1.4 with 70k because of the hg but the other weekend some mates did one and it was super easy! If its going in the bin might as well give it a go! I would get it fixed. Its not as major as you think especially on a TU!
Thanks given by:
Head gasket on a 1.4 TU is a piece of piss, last time I swapped my head over it took me about an hour and most of that was draining oil/water and setting tappets.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
better the devil you know in my book (everytime)
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Guys, thanks, you've made up my mind for me; I'll keep him going. I've been searching for other cars all week and there's just nothing as suitable out there. Ideally I'd love a 306 estate but there's just not much around at the moment it seems. I will try and explore the option of a new engine, my Mum actually suggested that, and see if someone could fit it, but either way, if I can get through the next week, I'll just fork out the few hundred on the head gasket, and he'll probably be good for another year. I've got to drive him a couple hundred miles this week but I have confidence in him, I'll borrow my sisters diesel 306 next week and then report back once the job is done.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Thanks given by:
1.4 8v TU is the easiest engine ever to do a hg on, you dont often need to skim it, bolts are re-usable if within spec.

I would buy a gasket, oil and coolant and get cracking, if the belt is unknown buy a kit and a water pump and you'll have many years more life in it yet.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
As said get that head off!! it would be silly to change engines based on a HG alone, especially TU!

Where are you located?
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm between Bristol and Devon at any given time.

I've got it booked in for next Monday to have the gasket and idle control valve done, might get the belt done as well. In the meantime I'll be borrowing another 306 which is cool, diesel! Not sure of specifics yet.
Thanks given by:
Belt will have to come off when head is removed so deffo get a new one put on there at the same time. If you don't have a record of tensioner, water pump etc being done in the last couple of years then sensible to replace all of those too. I expect a kit is pretty cheap for the 1.4.

Assuming bottom end is in decent condition you should get plenty more miles out of the engine.
Thanks given by:
All sorted and going strong again Smile
Thanks given by:
Very good to hear it lives another day. Did you sort it yourself in the end?
Thanks given by:
Good to hear Big Grin nicely done!
Thanks given by:
(14-05-2018, 05:39 PM)Mighty306 Wrote: Very good to hear it lives another day. Did you sort it yourself in the end?

I wish I could have done such a job by myself! Seems to be alright anyway, done another few k in it since, nearly on 160k now!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  places to stay near thorpe park? kernow_joe 8 2,623 18-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Last Post: 4WayDiablo
  Stay Strong Scott 5 1,862 04-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Last Post: mark_airey