Pulling to the left

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulling to the left
Hi all,

So my car is pulling to the left when I let go of the wheel.

When I go the DS3 I noticed it wasn't driving very well so I investigated the front end especially because the front springs had been replace and I thought something must not have been aligned or put back correctly.

I found the top mounts were not aligned so I adjusted them and tracked the car with a trackace tool Link

It's a great piece of kit and it's paid for itself with the amount I've used it but it takes a couple of attempts as it aligns the drivers side wheel to the passenger so you'll have the steering wheel on the piss the first time but you can dial that out when you do a trail run.

Anyway, the tracking is set correctly and when you hold the wheel straight the car goes straight but as soon as you let go the car wants to go to the left.

The tyre pressures are correct, the front two tyres are around the same tread but a little low and are the same make and model of tyre.

Could it be a characteristic of the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 when they are down on tread?

I think I'll try swapping the front two over and see if that helps or send the car the other way.

What are you thoughts on this?

The rear springs had been replaced by a different garage so could they have done something wrong there to make this happen?
Thanks given by:
Have you made sure the tie rods aren’t bent? Also make sure there is no play in the joint itself.

Also make sure the top mounts are correct in terms of chassis fitment as if there out ever so slightly out it can cause this issue (I know you’ve checked fitment but have you made sure the top mount rotation is correct?)
[Image: ForumSignature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hi James,

This is how I rotated the top mounts to the correct position.

For some reason they don't have pins like the 306 and the garage the previous owner had taken it to hadn't installed them correctly.

I suppose I could double check they hadn't moved out off alignment again. [Image: ac21850c4297c4657b4d9386a7ec8df8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Double check that and get back to me

I assume the tracking equipment your using is reliable?
Thanks given by:
Yes mate, they are very reliable and accurate.
Thanks given by:
I don't see how the trackace can be that accurate tbh, I looked into it myself but decided against it. Needs to be checked against the rears as well, don't think there's any rear toe adjustment on the DS3 but could still have a bent stub for example.
Thanks given by:
I can understand the trackace systems theory but as stated would need checking against the rear setup.

Personally if nothing is visibly bent or the fitment if the top mounts is out I’d take it to have wheel alignment to see if it is 100% correct
Thanks given by:
I'll have a check of the rear toe and check out the rear beam bushes to.
Thanks given by:
before you start buying things, just try swapping the front wheels left to right....

if the tyres have been pulling to the left, they will have coned and will carry on wearing that way--pulling to one side.

if you swap them over they will cancel each other out (they will still wear out)but the pull may disappear.
Thanks given by: