Sudden Notchy Gear Changes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sudden Notchy Gear Changes
Evening All,

Today I noticed that suddenly the gears were a lot more notchy than I am used to. On the way to work this morning I drove through a fairly deep flood across the road. Do you think it could have got in the gearbox and now would need an oil change? Is it able to get in there? 

Seems really coincidental if that's not the cause..

Any ideas? 

Thanks,
Jack
Thanks given by:
The oiled part of the gearbox is sealed as far as im aware apart from a breather but thats ontop of the gearbox so i doubt anything has got in! See what happens over the next few days?
Thanks given by:
Try greasing the ball joints on the gear linkages. If that doesn't work I'd be changing the box oil as a precaution.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
So over the next day and a half it has gone back to normal! These cars are strange! I will probably do the gear oil soon anyway just as a general refresh of it.
I will also look at greasing the joint linkages as well Smile

Cheers guys Smile
Thanks given by:
Also worth putting a bit of lube on the rubber ball that the metal sleeve thing sits on above the steering rack while you've got the grease out.
Thanks given by:
haha I will have a look for the metal sleeve thing as well Smile Cheers Big Grin

What is the recommended gear oil for these cars again? I have forgot and only seem to find a lot of people arguing when I google it! haha. I believe it was shell of some sort? 85w90 or something?
Thanks given by:
Just get it from peugeot, isn't any more expensive than anywhere else. Total 9000 quartz or something like that. I'm sure welshpug can correct me. Big Grin
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
75w80, or the new stuff is straight 75w, definitely get it from peugeot unless there's a Motaquip factors locally that does total.

make sure it is not EP oil.

it may be the clutch self adjuster as that is on the lowest point of the cable, if that got full of water and mud then it could have altered the bite point.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Nice one guys cheers Smile

The issue has gone away and hasn't returned yet so I am guessing it was somehow related to the flood :/ Either way it seems much better so all is good now Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intermittent sudden Power lost Peugeot306Modz 18 3,595 04-03-2015, 06:30 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  Help with sudden non starter please NOW RUNNING!!! titch 42 7,943 10-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Last Post: powerandtorque
  Sudden non start hdi af1 25 3,673 31-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Last Post: af1