Basic questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic questions
Thumbs Down 
Hi guys, I've got a couple of basic questions, I've kind of checked the guides but there's a couple of really simple things I'm trying to clarify, sorry.

I've just checked my coolant level and it seems to be a bit low, apart from I can't really be sure, I can't really see the liquid against the side of the expansion tank, so I'm thinking I should top up, though I've not done this before. What type of anti-freeze should I use? In the guides I know it says 'standard Peugeot blue', though I've never changed/topped it before, so I don't know what is already in there.

Secondly, how can I see my washer fluid level? Both of my handbooks explain how to top them up but not how to check them, I just see a tube going into presumably a tank. Where is the gauge?

Cheers guys
Thanks given by:
no gauge for the washer tank. I use a wooden dowel dipstick. not sure about the antifreeze, most are pretty much the same.
you can get little syringe thingys for checking the mix strength fro most motor accessory shops
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by: Pughawk
Thanks, I'll make my own dipstick then. If (as some people seem to say) most antifreeze is the same, I might just get a bottle of this from the shop down the road unless consensus says otherwise - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carplan-Bluesta...B00499DFBY
Thanks given by:
For my 1.6 TU Petrol engine I personally use red antifreeze, primarily "Ready Mixed 50/50 Triple QX Red" frankly because I can source it easily and it's cheap.

I did some reading into the difference between each coolant and for my 2001  Phase 3 it suggested: Ethylene glycol based Antifreeze (Red), incorporating Organic Acid Technology (OAT). Upto -36 C upon dilution.

See if you can shine a light down your radiator cap, I'm guessing it's probably going to be pretty murky though. Red antifreeze looks a lot like rusty water when you can't see much. Lol. If you can, try obtaining a sample of the coolant before topping it up. It's important to establish what's best for YOUR car first, what's good for my 1.6 might be slightly different for your 1.4. Always best to research.

If you wanted to completely change the coolant you could throw in some water to top it off to obtain a sample (you'd be flushing it later anyway). However if you are literally just topping up with antifreeze, it would make deciding on what color slightly more difficult. Ideally you wont want to mix antifreeze colors.

Edit: 

If you do shine a light down the radiator cap, you might be able to use the ridges on the inside as a rough gauge. Hope this helps.

Thanks given by: Pughawk
Incredibly helpful, thanks so much
Thanks given by: