The Pugs coming back on the road! :D

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pugs coming back on the road! :D
Well after spending 13 months driving my Alfa 159 the clutch has decided to slip. I can't tell whether I can justify spending £850 minimum for a clutch replacement just yet.

That means the pug is coming back on the road Rofl  Can't wait to get back in it. I have missed the nippy characteristics and the ridiculous MPG that's possible in them!

Anyways. It's going for an MOT on Saturday!

I am thinking of things I should check and do as it's been pretty much sat for 12 months. I has been moved around etc. But it will be getting a pampering the first week or two to make sure it's in top shape.

For the MOT I am thinking

- Lights
- Brakes
- Steering
- Tires

Anything else you can think of that might catch me out? Don't want to end up with it failing!! haha.

Cheers!
Thanks given by:
I've just came back as well although in another 306 but basically the same spec, I think you've covered the basics, my old car failed on one of the brakes binding from being sat for 6+ months, it's good to be back
Thanks given by: JTaylor2005
Good to hear of a 306 coming back to life.  Looking at your previous threads you know your stuff so I'm probably stating the obvious for you here.  Common failures though seem to be for:

> Sticking rear brake load compensator.  Give the actuator arm a good squirt with penetrating oil and wiggle it back & forth
> Air bag light staying on (commonly connectors below seats)

An easy one to miss is a blown number plate bulb.  There should be 2 illuminating the rear number plate.
Cheers guys. It fired up first time today which is a good sign! Will have a look at the brake compensator. I never even thought about that!
Thanks given by:
There is no compensator valve on the HDI models.

You might want to check the wipers, The rubber fell apart when I left the 206 standing a couple of years back.
Thanks given by:
Oh! How come that's not a thing on the HDI's? What is it actually for? Is it when you have weight in the back?
And good shout! I have until 11:30 tomorrow to assess these things and get replacements if I need them! haha
Thanks given by:
HDis use the abs instead.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

(02-02-2018, 09:37 PM)Poodle Wrote: HDis use the abs instead.

That's very sensible!
Thanks given by:
(02-02-2018, 09:15 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Oh! How come that's not a thing on the HDI's? What is it actually for? Is it when you have weight in the back?
And good shout! I have until 11:30 tomorrow to assess these things and get replacements if I need them! haha

Well, we both learned something by the looks of it.  Sorry for the mis-information initially.

Yea, on earlier rear disc models the load compensator opens up a valve when there is extra weight in the back of the car.  That allows increased hydraulic pressure to the rear calipers.  I guess the HDi's don't have the spagetti of pipes associated with it, which is good. 

Fingers crossed for a pass!
Thanks given by:
The pugs not coming back on the road because it failed the MOT....

- Rust on front subframe mount
- Rear right brake binding (This has been an issue for a while and one that I had totally forgot about)

Anyone know anyone with a rear right caliper laying around that fancies earning some money Sunday fitting it and repairing some rust around the midlands area?
Thanks given by:
Been out in the rain the last 2 hours. Bit of a learning curve as I have never really touched brakes before. Managed to get the old pads out, moved the caliper round on the sliders and it seems to move perfectly fine. Put some new pads in and copper greased it all up. Back together and straight away the first time I put the brake on it seems to stick again! Hopefully it will just free off with use? Is this something anyone else has had issues with?

I will do the other side pads tomorrow hopefully as well! A lot easier than I expected!!
Thanks given by:
crud on the piston?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
On the rears the handbrake mechanism can jam up.

As a bodge and quick fix you could spray wd40 under the rubber boot but it's best to strip down and rebuild the caliper or buy a refurbished unit.
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys! I have more time today so I am going to go and spend some time looking at it.
The handbrake part seems okay because it sticks and binds when the brake pedal is pressed as well. Probably the piston it's self as the sliders seem okay...
Thanks given by:
I wonder if it's worth winding the piston in a bit (rotate it clockwise by locking a flat tool of some kind between the raised parts of the piston) to see if that frees it up?  (The piston is attached to a threaded rod which is part of the hand brake mechanism).

You could also peel back the bottom of the piston seal to see if there is any fluid leaking past the bore seal.  If it is then a rebuild or a replacement caliper is on the cards.
Thanks given by:
I have wound the piston in. I fitted new pads into it as someone said it might be uneven pad wear that's causing it. Cost me £16 for pads so thought why not. I fitted them and it's still the same.
Might be able to get hold of a caliper today so could have another go later at fixing it.
Thanks given by:
It's worth giving the pipe union to the caliper a good squirt of penetrating oil now because corrosion between the pipe and the union has a habit of bonding them together .  Leave it to soak for as long as possible.  Some on here have also suggested you crack the union off & then wiggle it back & forth in the hope it separates from the union.

Alternatively, crack the union off & then rotate the whole caliper so the pipe doesn't twist.   I'm afraid that of 4 rear calipers I've removed it's happened with all of them.
Thanks given by:
Evening all. Thanks for all the help and advice so far!!

I managed to get hold of a caliper from "French car parts" in Stafford. With the help of Chris (Cbray2003) today we took the back wheel off to do the caliper and found that the pads that I had fitted must have freed my caliper off anyway! We put the brakes on and off and handbrake on and off and it didn't stick anywhere near as bad as before!

So we made use of the time and fitted my new pads to the other side and then I worked the brakes a lot moving up and down the drive. Seems fine now!
Thanks given by: