The DS3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The DS3
Hi all,

So I finally done it, I've bought a car to replace my much loved HDI Dturbo daily.

[Image: JeHsTe7h.jpg]

I feel the car now needs a lot of bodywork to keep it looking as good as I'd like, I thought something a bit better on fuel and cheaper tax would be a good idea to.

I also thought it would be nice to have something with some modern features.

At first I was thinking I'd get 207, there was a nice one at work that I though would be a nice replacement but Karen didn't like them.

Next I thought the Fiesta would be a good choice but they are so common and bloody everywhere. There are always three different one parked next to each other at work. Yes I know they are a really good car and that's why there are so many of them.

Some how I thought of the DS3.

There were a few I was looking at all around the £4k and all around the 100k miles plus mark.

I'm not sure how but I got Shpock on my phone and I had a look on there. I found one that a lot of people were interested in and I thought it had sold but the next week someone messaged the guy asking if it was still for sale and I saw that he said yes so I got straight in there with an offer. The accepted as he needed the funds for his new replacement car. 

The car is a Dstyle Plus, so Dstyle is mid range on the trim but then the Plus gives it digital climate control, parking senors, auto wipers/light, auto dimming rear view and heated electric wing mirrors.

It's powered by the e-HDI 1.6 90bhp and has the 5 speed.

I would have like the Dsport trim but this Dstyle with the Plus pack is not far off.

I popped over to his, 45 minutes up the road from me the Monday night. He told me that the car had some rust on the front wing before going up, I thought I'd have a look and I'd probably just get a replacement off a breaker.

On seeing the car you could tell it had a bit of a bump in the past and the wing had been replaced with a cheap pattern part. The front bumper wasn't lined up well ether. I thought it could be adjusted to fit better.

We went for a test drive and the car was very comfortable but you hear a sight knocking on the front suspension. I'm thinking this could be just drop links.

The HPI came back all clear and I thought I might as well go for it and bought it Saturday morning.

[Image: iPuH16gh.jpg]
When I collected it

[Image: LXynNnth.jpg]
The rust Sad

I drove it straight to work to get it looking more presentable. I didn't find a wing in time and thought I'll just clean up the rust a little and replace at a later date.

I'm not that keen on the drive at the moment, there is bugger all feel through the steering wheel and the gear shift isn't nice, I think that's mainly down to the cable shift and the electronic power assist for the lack of feel.

On removing the bumper you could see a lot more damage. The main slam panel was slightly bent and god knows how the AC is still working with the condenser in such a bad state.

There was also some bad hackary with the cable to the DRL and fogs.

The rest of the car seems all good.

First on the priority list is sorting the rust out, then if I can get the cable lubricated to see if that helps. Not sure what I can do with the steering.

[Image: FRzjKfOh.jpg]
I rubbed down the area to remove as much as possible treated the rust, sprayed zinc primer and then white primer. I thought I'd leave that to dry and harden over night.

I gave it a good going over with the vacuum as it looked like it hadn't been done for a long time I later found out the previous owner had it valeted before I viewed. I would like to remove the carpet to wet vac it. The guy lives in apartments so couldn't vacuum it and the valets have been doing a pretty rubbish job. I must have spent an hour hoovering, it was pretty bad.

[Image: 9gzt9Gdh.jpg]
Later I gave it a quick wash.  

The next day I sanded down but found that I should have used some high build primer as the rust had pitted quite deep, so a few more coats had to be applied. I was a bit pissed off with myself as I wanted to start using the car this week and it would have been done if I had used the high build primer but I'd have to remove the bumper off again when applying the base coats so I couldn't be bothered to put the bumper and arch liners back on to take them off again later this week when I work on it again.

Thank god GSF, ECP and CP4L having their sales on so I've bought all items required for a full service all filters (air, fuel, oil and cabin) oil, pads front and back, discs front and back, drop links, Philips head light bulbs, some new carpet mats, aux belt and a full set of wipers for just over £300.

Bloody rear discs have the ABS ring and wheel bearing built in so were a lot more then I'm used to.

So that's where I'm up to at the moment. Hopefully get the paint work done this weekend and then service it.
Thanks given by:
so what happened to the hdi? D:
Thanks given by:
At the moment I'm still using it but I'm sad to say I'll be taking it off the road soon. It'll have a rest at my brothers house until I decide if I like the DS3 enough to keep it, if not I'll be selling the DS3 and getting the pug back on the road lol.

It's difficult for me to let go as I've had it from new and doing almost 350k in it I've grown quite attached to it.
Thanks given by:
Good stuff. It looks like its really good condition so if it does go be sure to offer it to members on here first! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Must be a dodgy paint job on the cheap wing to rust like that. Not easier to buy a SH white wing?

I love the little HDi unit. Our mini's got the 1.6 110 PSA lump and it's a nice drive. Did the cambelt on it last week, easy as you like!!
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
I thought as it being white and the most common colour it would be easy to get a second hand wing but no luck so far.

The ones I've found on eBay annoyingly the seller don't reply to mm messages.

Glad to hear the belt is an easy job. It says in the service book that the belt to be changed at 150k miles. Thought that to be pretty high so will be changing it sooner to be on the safe side.
Thanks given by:
Yep I did exactly the same. Mini said something like 150K or 10 years, and it's 9 years old this month. Belt looked in good health, but i know it's done now and life was made very easy on the Mini as the drivers headlight came out in 10 seconds, meaning the mount could come out through the hole!

I'm sure it's a hoot to drive, and probably need less TLC now than the HDi does. Miss my HDi as she was very good to me for almost 10 years, sadly in the great scrap heap now.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Lots of goodies arrived today.

Can't wait for the weekend.

I'll be giving it a full service, all fluids, all filters, all brake pads/ discs, wipers and drop links.

I'll be finishing off the wing to. [Image: 2781053aa05da35e4da61a5a11a751aa.jpg][Image: 891e7bf07b1908fb35cf31743d34fa4e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Parked next to the DS3 today.

306 definitely looks better than the DS3.
[Image: b8e7df5d4a231b4da139b8acb5512c84.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Busy Weekend then, but from your previous projects we know you don't do things by halves.

Is the white estate still going ? or what happened to that one?
Thanks given by:
Thanks mr fish Smile

Yes the estate is still going well, it to needs a service. I've not been doing that much karting and I'm not sure how much I'll do this year so I have thought about selling it on. I do give it a run to work every now and again to keep the wheels turning and I do enjoy driving it even though it looks like a shed.
Thanks given by:
(02-02-2018, 10:12 AM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Parked next to the DS3 today.

306 definitely looks better than the DS3.
[Image: b8e7df5d4a231b4da139b8acb5512c84.jpg]

whoever came up with the design got the 306 shape just right.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(03-02-2018, 10:33 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: whoever came up with the design got the 306 shape just right.

The legendary Pininfarina!
Thanks given by:
I done as much as I could on the paint side of things today but I'm a bit disheartened as it looks like the wing wasn't sprayed in the correct polar white and the whole side of the car might not be polar white either.

The primer seemed to be a better colour match lol.

Also it seems that when the front springs were replaced the struts weren't installed correctly. I'm thinking that the knocking noise might be coming from that, the top mounts not being correctly seated, we shall see tomorrow.

Drove the car for only the second time this afternoon and it's so disappointing the lack of feedback from the car.

During the week I ordered some of the little hooks for the strings for the parcel shelf god knows how they went missing.

[Image: aVlzJQr.jpg]

[Image: 7unvphT.jpg]

[Image: onhoJJ3.jpg]

There was a sick kind of smell coming from the vents and after replacing the cabin filters it has now thankfully gone.

[Image: Pd44Uut.jpg]

[Image: WLakExQ.jpg]

One of the dipped bulbs and side light had gone so replaced with these. I had them on my Dturbo and give a nice white light.

[Image: SvZghuB.jpg]

The photo doesn't show it well but in person it doesn't look right at the top of the strut.

[Image: IcXdi8Z.jpg]
Thanks given by:
does the ph3 306 have a cabin filter?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
There is one listed on ECP but no it doesn't fit. It was one of the things I was meant to look in to in my ownership of a 306.
Thanks given by:
Today I changed the oil, filters, took a look at the suspension and did a small bodge on the exhaust bracket.

I drove the car to work so the engine and its oil was nice and warm for draining. On arrival I jacked the car up, supported it on axle stands and drained the oil.

While the oil was draining I started to have a look at the suspension as there was a knocking over uneven ground. I had a look on the guide posted here in Bigfeet's File Repository and I found that the top mounts hadn't been aligned correctly, I had my suspicions yesterday.

This is how they should be aligned.

[Image: dQUqgDhh.jpg]

This is how I found them when I removing the top nut and shield.

[Image: GPFzvkwh.jpg]

I removed the ARB drop link and found them to be shot to

[Image: m70mfm3h.jpg]

I dropped the strut a little and I was able to adjust the top mount to the correct alignment.

[Image: pcCUs7Lh.jpg] 

It's silly there isn't a pin sticking up from the top mount to allow correct alignment.

I secured the struts back to the car and replaced the ARB drop links.

[Image: F9GmP41h.jpg]

I was surprised that the original drop links were made of aluminium. Sadly the TRW ones are steel. 

Next I did a little bodge on the front exhaust bracket, I was told by the seller that the bracket had been welded when he had the springs replaced. In the summer I'll be removing the exhaust to weld properly.

[Image: ymJXKS8h.jpg]

[Image: QrqYALVh.jpg]

When I was viewing the car I noticed the number plate lights seemed to be a bit hit and miss. One minute one was out the next the other. I found the element in the bulb was broken and floating about so I replaced them both with some nice but expensive Philips WhiteVision, expensive as in £5 for the two instead of 30p per bulb for the standard ones. I did think about getting LED replacements but I had the Philips spare.

I also gave the lens a quick clean as they were filthy.

[Image: xyKm9iLh.jpg]

[Image: knzGMpTh.jpg]

[Image: Gneqe6ch.jpg?1]

While I was doing the other jobs the oil was left draining. I find it crazy how the drain plug is recessed in to the sump. On others it's always been the lowest point.

I replaced the oil filter and air filter.

The oil filter looked to be a poor quality one, you can see that there arem't as many pleats so less surface area to filter the oil.

[Image: Kf8tnjfh.jpg]

The air filter didn't have the sponge prefilter element to keep the big bit out the main paper element.

[Image: pfurk4lh.jpg]

I didn't have the motivation to replace the brake disc and pads, they are low but ok for now. I thought I'd leave them for another day and I'll strip down the calipers for a thorough check, I'll clean off the rust and give the a lick of paint.

After the works were complete I gave the engine bay and scuttle area a quick clean.

Engine bay is looking a lot better now but no photos as I needed to get to the shops before they shut.

I didn't change the fuel filter because of the state of the bay and I didn't want to risk getting dirt in the fuel system. I'll replace the filter at some point during the week.
Thanks given by:
Another week with the car and I'm starting to enjoy driving it a little more.

Yesterday I did a close to 400 mile round trip in it.I never thought I'd ever use cruse control but on the way back I started using it and I quite like it now.

Before the trip I checked the tyre pressures and I found them all to be 4 PSI down on what they should. Once inflated I found the car felt a lot better and I found that the feel I was missing through the wheel was now better.

Today I finally got chance to check the tracking after adjusting the top mounts the other week. I bought a device called a trackace a few years back, it cost around £80 and I was in two minds about buying it but I'm glad I did has it's more than paid for itself now with the amount I've used it. 

[Image: lvCb1d3h.jpg]

I found the front is toeing in by 05' and it should be be toeing out 09'. It was also pulling to the left. After correcting the alignment and the drive home I still found the car pulled slightly to the left so hopefully double check everything.

[Image: C6e0ZDjh.jpg]

I changed the indicator bulbs in the front head lights to ones with a silver coating to stop the horrid orange that shows through.

The bulbs I used.
[Image: ePCdhaFh.jpg?1]

You can see the orange showing through here.
[Image: dti3vCnh.jpg]

The new bulbs installed.
[Image: cvfQZ45h.jpg]

Looks a lot better.
[Image: e839h1ch.jpg]

There has been a funny buzzing behind the dash, something was vibrating when the car was in motion. I thought it was going to be a loose cable or the like but after removing the dash panel I found it to be the metal clips that holds in on. 

I removed the clips and bent them slightly so they weren't loose on the tabs.

Dash with the panel removed.
[Image: taKIjI0h.jpg]

The loose clip.
[Image: z3aKryAh.jpg]

Slightly bent to hold better.
[Image: 4HGP0aEh.jpg]

The clips on the back of the panel.
[Image: Jxft1PEh.jpg]

I did this on the centre console trim to.

It improved things but there still is a noise from somewhere else in the car I need to locate .

I also made a light to use when working in the engine bay. I used a strip of aluminium angle that I stuck some sticky back LED strip to, angle so the LED light are shielded to stop the light glare. 

[Image: 3XvAiLjh.jpg]

[Image: AHOWMAmh.jpg]

At the moment I found that it fits through the bonnet catch. I need to think about how I could attach it lower down on the bonnet.

I also gave the car a quick was, it was dark by the time I finished so no photos of the nice shinny car.
Thanks given by:
It's been a busy weekend, Saturday morning I had work till 3pm after that I drove four hours to collect some goodies for the DS3. I didn't get back home till 10 that night.

This morning I drove two hours to collect some alloys from a member of the DS3 forum.

When I got back I gave the car a quick wash then gave the new seats and alloys a clean.

[Image: CRGaAk2h.jpg]

There was a lot of brown stuff on the inside of one of the wheels. I got as much off as I could but there was still a bit left that I couldn't get off.

[Image: KgLM6uuh.jpg]

As I removed the old seats I gave the carpets a good clean while I had access.

[Image: nceklX7h.jpg]

[Image: 4jtY7Iph.jpg]

The new seats fitted.

[Image: FE6CD7sh.jpg]

Next I removed the dash panel to swap out the display panel.

[Image: wcrvYO1h.jpg]

I was still getting the vibration from somewhere in the centre of the dash. I removed the vent flaps and applied a little grease on the pivots in hope that if it's them vibrating in there the grease will dampen the movement.

[Image: Ob46X2dh.jpg]

The new panel fitted and dash back together.

[Image: rfgxEsJh.jpg]

The first alloy on.

[Image: XzirPxNh.jpg]

I do like the new alloys but I sort of miss the slight silver of the diamond cut parts.

I was thinking of swapping the black wing mirrors to the chrome ones but not sure now as the back ones go really well with the alloys.

[Image: 312HIN8h.jpg]

[Image: DcJy2WQh.jpg]

I've also got lots of the Hifi upgrade pack bits that I might try and fit but I need to find out more information on it all. I might try and wire it up outside the car and take it from there. I've got access to the wiring diagram so that'll help getting it connected up I just hope it powers up without needing to be connected to the BSI.

Lots of bit's still to fit.

[Image: c0BiAFih.jpg]

The car feels so much better to drive with the new seats and so much more comfortable. The lighter alloys also feel a little better through the car. They are ET15 so are sticking out 10mm more over the Bellones and that'll mean the track of the car will be 20mm more. Not sure how that'll effect the rest of the suspension setup. I'd like to lower the car to but we'll see. I might give the wheels ago on the GTI6 in the summer as the off set is correct and I won't need spacers for them to fit.

I'm still getting that vibration through the centre of the dash so that needs more investigation.

Easter weekend is normally the time I get the most done on my projects but this year I'll be going to visit family so will have to miss out playing on the car.
Thanks given by:
Car looks good. I reckon these are the next 306. lots of them and fun to mod Smile
Thanks given by:
Thank you.

Yeah it does seem the same in that way.

I can't get over how much more I enjoy driving the car with the seats replaced, I actually look forward to driving it now.
Thanks given by:
yesterday lunchtime I thought I'd install the RD45 headunit and update the display to show when the reverse sensors on screen.

Old unit it coming out.

[Image: 534DVTnl.jpg]

New unit going in.

[Image: SXlFXwol.jpg]

Now the problems start.

[Image: BD3MTv4l.jpg]

My version of Lexia is a bit on the old side. I've not updated since I got it in 2011 and my Diagbox is at V5.02 and I think V9 is out now.

The head unit works a treat and connects to my phone, streams music from it and show track name but sadly because I can't connect to it through Lexia I can't update the VIN so I get a constant beeping.

Bit of a pointless feature but thought I'd activate it, as if who looks at the screen when reversing?

[Image: iLlLi2Il.jpg]

Any idea on if I can just update my software on Diagbox or would I need to replace my lexia cable with the Rev C type before I can code the RD45?
Thanks given by:
Is that a heated windscreen button?

I have Park Pilot, similar to that but split into 4 sections so picks out bollards etc. Find it pretty useful with the total lack of rear visibility on modern cars tbh! lol
Thanks given by:
The lines do break up in to smaller segments if there is anything in the way. I was parked in front of a wall at the time.

I wish it was a heated front screen, I thought it was at first but sadly its just a shit button that has a preset mode to hit the climate control to best clear the screen. Basically put ac on and full bast motor at the screen. It's shit really.

Hopefully more cars will come with heated front screens now. If a DS3 does come with one in the future it would be a nice but expensive retro fit mod to do.
Thanks given by:
Ah I see, that's a shame. There are quite a few new cars coming out with the option of heated screens now, Fords patent ran out a few years ago. Not sure if PSA are doing them yet, the latest DS3 screen is probably a different shape though.

As for the Lexia, have you been able to do anything else with it on the DS3? I would think it was too new to be supported by your software if you bought it back in 2011?
Thanks given by:
Everything else seems to be working ok with regards to lexia on this car.

I've opened up the cable module today and found it is one of the cheaper versions with parts missing compared to they sell now.

I've ordered another one, hopefully that and the newer software will sort it. [Image: 6fd3353e56cb90becb6684585fb64306.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I didn't know there were different cables, thought the Chinese knock offs were all the same. I take it you can't tell without opening it up?
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's right, there is difference in quality of the board and different build revisions the latest being revision c.
Thanks given by: