Oil in water

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil in water
Ok this is frustrating as ive not even got the new engine anywhere near done. I appear to have oil mixing with the coolant (not tge other way round) just to clarify the oil cap has no signs of water.

Popped the rad cap off to find a small hint of mayo but not alot dipped my finger in the water and was greeted with this.
[Image: 513d788781c32fe5efe7a28898de0889.jpg][Image: e8a7ccc2184976783e84d7800ab10b9c.jpg][Image: c8eac0cdcf2d361285a323086b9914cf.jpg]
Now i run alot of boost (26psi on a gt2052s) so my first thought personally is heads gone. Any ideas as ideally needed to make this last another 4 months

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
Still Living For The 306  Rofl

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
205 1.9 GTI (Rust.In.Pieces)
306 HDI Stage 3 Estate (Rust.In.Pieces)
Thanks given by:
Could be the oil/coolant temp transfer jacket, the chunky thing between block and oil filter.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Sweet ive got a spare on the new engine thats not gonna be needed for the new build so will give it swap tuesday. Daft question but can i get away with not dropping the oil again? Only just done an oil change today before noticing the water. Already realise a new filter may be needed if it dosnt come off nice and a coolant flush.

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
I'd do an oil change for the sake of £20 of oil.

Fyi: I would use one on your new engine.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ive done an oil change today.. Thats how i spotted it when i was checking the coolant emphises on why i dont want to do another oil change.
There were deffinatley no traces of water in the oilndrained from the sump.

Also i cant use the water cooler on the new engine. Stef made the gearbox mani for the turbo prettybclose to the point it had to have the feeds for the oil cooler on tge thermostat housing removed and welded over. Already got a 16 row thermostatic on the car tho

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
It's not an oil cooler. That's why it's quite important. Its about balancing coolant and oil temps... Getting the oil up to operating temperature quicker ... Cold oil is 10x more dangerous than hot oil.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Fair point. Do you think its possible to tap off pipework else where to fit it back in the system? Obv thermostat housing is now off limits due to lack of space

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
the XU engines use a takeoff from the top hose and return into the bottom of the rad/expansion tank.

I would get some cooling system flush and run it to temp them dump it and run a hose through it with the thermostat out, a cheap way to do it is a dishwashing tablet/powder as its a degreaser.

its a heat exchanger, so yes it does cool, just not in the way the air-oil heat exchanger (cooler) does it, if your rad and cooling system has enough capacity you can run just the oil-water unit, which is common on race cars where packaging for extra oil coolers is tight.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Slightly off subject, but that overflow hose, overflow coolant goes to road or collection bottle, like an extra expansion tank ? and, did you get a cap that would seal onto that raised lip on the oe expansion tank ?
Thanks given by:
(29-01-2018, 10:34 AM)welshpug Wrote: the XU engines use a takeoff from the top hose and return into the bottom of the rad/expansion tank.

I would get some cooling system flush and run it to temp them dump it and run a hose through it with the thermostat out, a cheap way to do it is a dishwashing tablet/powder as its a degreaser.

its a heat exchanger, so yes it does cool, just not in the way the air-oil heat exchanger (cooler) does it,  if your rad and cooling system has enough capacity you can run just the oil-water unit, which is common on race cars where packaging for extra oil coolers is tight.

This. Amen.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Cheers for this. Trying to do it cheap as as its a scrap engine in a few months time so that'll be ideal if ut wotks.. What wash cycle do i need to set it too [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Goes straight to the floor. Not sealed or blocked as i realise its also the pressure relief for the cap

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
A seal between cap and the raised lip on the oe expansion tank, so no leakage of coolant there that tends leak over expansion tank top and to drip all over the alternator, the cap has its own pressure and vac seals/valves......
Thanks given by:
Swapped the heat exchabge over and took the car for a long rag. Seems to have sorted it so cheers guys.

And after seeing the setup on the new engine couldnt work out why the new turbo setup has had it blanked for "space". Needless to say it shall definatley be staying on that lump too

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by: