Stuff Management

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuff Management
Hey Guys,

Random question. Because of my work im out of the house 4/5 days a week. Its still my parents but there isnt much point moving out when my job may see me move around the country and im barely in the house.

Ive got a tonne of stuff. Some of it I need... some of it is just from earlier in life, toys and things. I never use them but equally I would hope that I can keep them until my kids (obviously have to meet someone first) could use them.

Ive got 5 desktop computers that are sitting here unused, taking up space. But it feels too wrong to bin a computer than cost 1000+ back in the day. They all work but just not useful at all!

How do people manage their crap and keep their life in order? one in one out policies? Charity shops? I think my biggest reason for moving out is to have more space! but im equally worried that Ill just fill all that space up Tongue
Thanks given by:
Being a son of two hoarders has influenced me on this front significantly. I bin literally EVERYTHING as soon as it’s use has been served / replacement has been sourced.

This isn’t necessarily the right decision as I don’t keep spare anything so have to buy fresh screws, nails etc every time I do a DIY job but I do have an uncluttered house!!

If you wanna hoard but don’t have the space rent a storage unit. Depending on the size they aren’t that costly
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
When i lived by myself I tended to keep things of value that I would need, but sell or bin stuff that clearly wasn’t going to get used. I struggle to throw things of value away but have done in recent times as it seems stupid to keep some stuff with a low chance of being used where it’s only worth 10 or 20 quid.

I’ve got my old mega drive and all my games for example, but no toys from my childhood as it’s all long gone. Happily throw an old pc away as they’re effectively junk after a few years.

Throwing away screws is a bit ott as there’s loads of times i want an odd one. I even have a random box for bolts and a random box for screws which I’ve often raided. I tend to be very methodical about how the things are kept, i.e. all together and in their place in the garage.

My parents call my wife and I minimalist but we’re about right.

Your kids won’t be interested in your toys unless they’re like 1st gen Star Wars stuff!
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
hi Sam,
first up, any good stuff you don't really want, eBay it or offer to local charity shops.
second, there are charities that will take old working pc's, fettle them and send to "poorer" countries for schools etc. - - -
- - remember to wipe all your personal data 1st!!! I mean really wipe.
toys/sentimental stuff, it's down to you what you're willing to let go. try to condense it into a more manageable storage.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Ive got lots of boxes and stuff is going in the attic just to make a bit more space. Am I a hoarder. I dont think so... I just have too many hobbies and stuff is over my room. Its probably 22" x 12" and its got a double bed, desk, built in wardrobes, 3d printer, vinyl cutter, 2 screens etc and then boxes of C5 parts and all the packaging and bubble wrap to send them out in. Im essentially running a production line and developing new things out of my bed room... so... I guess thats cool... but its not tidy!

Ive got a bag of clothes to go to the bank. I need to be more ruthless in my binning of old clothes. Again... school leavers and ski trip hoodies... Theyre sentimental and I dont want to part with them so theyre attic bound.

All of this though... It just seems to be the human condition that stuff arrives with too much packaging. Although a lot of things I dont want to keep it also feels wrong to bin it. It would be great if there was just a "stuff centre" where you could drop things off and people could take them. I guess thats a charity shop...
Thanks given by:
I'm a second generation hoarder, in a shared house, with my home studio and bedroom being the same room, I just hide all surplus in boxes behind guitar cases so nobody knows.... I still have literally no space left, but at least you can't see too much of the excess. Keep meaning to get sifting on eBay, but every hoarder knows that everything will possibly have a function at some point down the line, even if you can't find it on the one occasion that you require it.
Thanks given by:
my wife throws out all my stuff that has served its purpose. On the stuff i actually spent money on though i always sell up to buy the newer bits. that way i know that ill never have to much. As for tools though. I have far to many for a sane person now so i just bought a bigger tool box
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I find... If it's been a year... Chuck it or sell it cheap. Yes occasionally I need it a week later... But it's pretty rare.

I hate throwing stuff away... But once done, it feels so good
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
yeah i NEVER throw anything that could be used. I always sell it. then if it doesnt sell i give it away or put it in the reusable items bit we have at our local tip then it goes to diffrent charitys etc.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Burn it, burn it all with FIRE!!

Fire always makes people Happy Big Grin but maybe not in the centre of the bedroom Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Imagine you are given a finite amount of time to live. Say 2 years. What things do you want to leave behind. That will focus the mind as to what matters to you and what has a value! And what is just crap.

You'd be amazed at the stuff people will buy on eBay. The fees are rubbish so Gumtree is preferred.

We give a lot of stuff to charity too (remember to register for gift aid), especially clothes as selling on eBay is such a time consuming ball ache listing the item. And then the buyer can return at your expense for pretty much any reason.
Thanks given by:
i am unfortunately a horder too, guitar parts, car parts, wires, transformers, doohickys, thingys, bits n bobs, i really am a lady garden for it, but there again i live in a very unprivileged area of the country where a house costs 1/3 of the UK average, that's my excuse, i can't afford to waste things or pay twice for something, that said my wife goes mad at me but fcuk it . . . . . . . if you want to get rid of stuff get married, bitches hate that hording shit . . . Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2018, 07:43 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:  if you want to get rid of stuff get married, bitches hate that hording shit . . .  Big Grin

f*cking second this
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aftermarket diesel engine management jammapic 10 2,283 12-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Atterz
  Getting into waste management careers? rtha6551 5 1,720 16-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Jonny b