purpose of a dump valve

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
purpose of a dump valve
What is it?
Thanks given by:
to dump excess air from the intake system when you close the throttle plate to stop the turbo stalling, but this is in the DW10 section and as they are pointless and don't work on diesels lets not go there Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
As Mark said.

Just to expand slightly..

Consider what a turbo does, it compresses the air entering the engine. In a petrol car when you lift off the throttle no air is needed for the engine, but the turbo charger is still spinning away, compressing the air. Dump valves in this case are used to provide an escape route for this excess air, otherwise it may flow backwards and force the turbo to spin in the opposite direction.

We do not suffer this problems with diesel car's, however, because the engine is constantly sucking in air anyway even when we lift off the throttle. It is still possible to fit a dump valve, but they require a micro switch operated solenoid to work so they're a bit naff really.
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
To look like a badass.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Diesels can still suffer from compressor stall also know as chatter. It is a rare event though seems common on bigger turbo xud's I know padges does it allot. Quite how it does it with out a throttle plate I don't know
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
To get laid obviously...
Thanks given by:
Jenkosowls Wrote:Diesels can still suffer from compressor stall also know as chatter. It is a rare event though seems common on bigger turbo xud's I know padges does it allot. Quite how it does it with out a throttle plate I don't know

It's not just bigger turbos. Wink

My T2 does it if I bog it down and lift off as it begins to come on full boost.

Probably not the best thong to do but like all things, moderation is key. :p
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Except a Dump Valve won't alleviate those problems, since it's on a microswitch, it takes far too long to respond, and only at 0% throttle, not as the pressure builds infront of the throttle plate and the manifold goes into vacuum...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Mainly because there is no throttle plate.............

Also they just tend to make your car sound like it has a cold when fitted to diesels lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
aaron_one Wrote:What is it?

To mark out all the tit's on the road you should give a wide berth to.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Car sneeze.
Thanks given by:
if you want to fit one then get one like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pbUMXZvfi8
Thanks given by:
procta Wrote:if you want to fit one then get one like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pbUMXZvfi8
lmao
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
People have nearly explained the whole theory here.

To maximise throttle response, the throttle plate will be positioned on the end of the inlet manifold, after the turbo (ie. it is sucking air in and forcing it down the pipework towards the throttle plate). This is fine when you're on wide-open-throttle. But when you take your foot off the throttle, the throttle plate closes. The turbo will still be spinning and dorcing the same quantity of air down the inlet however. This air has no route through, and therefore pressure will build up between the turbo and the throttle plate. When the pressure becomes too great, it will overcome the force applied by the compressor, and will reverse direction, causing a rapid and unbalanced deceleration or stalling of the compressor, which creates this chatter. Not to be confused with compressor surge which is a totally different kettle of fish altogether!

A dumpvalve is used to vent the pressure to atmosphere, and is actuated (ie the valve is pulled open) by the vacuum in the inlet manifold when the throttle plate is closed (fyi petrols have negative pressure (vacuum) in the inlet manfiold when the throttle plate is shut.)

A recirculating valve is very similar to a dump valve, but instead of venting to atmosphere, it recirculates the air back round into the inlet pipe just before the turbo, so in effect recyles the air again.
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What was the purpose of the maf sensor wiring mod? JTaylor2005 36 13,546 14-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Dump valve set up Ben hdi306 30 11,497 06-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  dump valve on hdi? charlie7543 19 7,240 10-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Last Post: 4WayDiablo