Grinding noise after skidding on ice.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grinding noise after skidding on ice.
Hi all,

So the other Morning I went to slow down at a junction and the car slipped for a second on the ice, the ABS kicked in and all was good.
 Since then I'm getting a whurring noise from the front passenger side ( I think ) i'd normally assume a bearing was up the gunger but the noise has only appeared since that morning. 
 Coincedence? Anyone ever experienced owt like that or can think of anything worth checking?

Smile
Thanks given by:
is it still around or has it gone?
Thanks given by:
Yeah it's still there, I'm going to strip the caliper down if it ever stops raining because the breaks don't seem reet now either.
Thanks given by:
Took the campers apart, one break pad was fitted incorrectly but it looks like it is the bearing. So ordered one along with some gearbox oil Smile
Thanks given by:
Fitted bearing and the bastard noise still there. I'm almost sure the other side is ok so that leaves the intermediate bearing and gear box. The bearing I changed was knackered anyway so I'm glad it's done...
Thanks given by:
So both bearings are changed, fresh g.box oil albeit 70/90 and the noise went away. Now it's coming back but doesn't quieten down when going round corners. What do people reckon to that?
Thanks given by:
Does it only happen at speed? Ideally need to drive around slowly with somebody stood by the car listening for the source. It's a really odd problem, can't think of much that would cause it without other symptoms. I'm wondering if it could be the abs pump has pooed itself. Try unplugging it and going for a drive. Failing that I'd be calling sticky brakes.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Funnily enough I've just put it through an MOT. Failed on nearside front brake binding and offside parking brake little to no effort. I'm going to strip the front down in a bit which should sort that and possibly cure noise (wishful thinking).

The rear I'm not sure if there is a procedure to do when the discs etc... are changed. I know it has a screw inside which pushes the piston but I thought they self adjust. I have recently changed the main piston seal in this particular caliper too.

Oh and yeah it seems to start over about 15mph all the way up to motorway speeds, it doesn't alter when turning corners either.
Thanks given by:
Handbrake can go wrong if you don't pump the pedal first. If you got back in the car and yank the lever, the self-adjustment would do exactly as you are experiencing.

If this is what you did, put a jiffy bag over the handbrake in future...
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
If the brake is binding badly it will cause a noise, would get worse on a long journey, don't know if you've noticed...? Worth checking the condition of your hoses too, tired hoses can stop fluid flowing back and cause a bind despite the caliper/sliders/pads all being free.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Got it through the MOT in the end. Changed both hand brake cables because both outer sheathed had gone. Cleaned front passenger caliper up, stopped the binding but still got the noise. I may just have a faulty bearing I suppose, not enough grease in it or summit.
Thanks given by:
I don't suppose you've got an out of shape tyre..? Running your hand around it should feel smooth, if it's bumpy or catches more rubbing in one direction than the other indicates an unevenly worn tyre. Could even be a flat spot since you only noticed after a lock-up and slide.

Then again if the noise went away after changing the bearing then came back weeks later it could well be the new bearing at fault. Possible to get it fixed under warranty? If it wasn't pressed in cleanly or torqued up properly they can wear very quickly.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Fitted it myself so no warranty on the work (and t'other side) only thing I couldn't do was tighten it up to the correct Nm due to a lack of a big F-Off TQ wrench. In my estimation the hub nut went back on Ape tight Smile For the sake of 15-20 notes I'll replace it asap...

I ruled out wheel/tyre problems by sticking a set of other alloys on (plan is to refurb the cyclones)
Thanks given by:
Running out of components it could be tbh lol. Only other thing I can think of is the drive shaft, but there are usually other symptoms - clicking on lock, obvious play when you shake the joint, etc.

Not got any loose arch plastics in front of the wheel..? Could be getting blown into the wheel at speed maybe.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Cheers for all the suggestions, all arch liners etc are nice and tight. The car got through the MOT with no advisory comments so I think the rest of the joints etc... are good.

Had a look at the back of the hub today using a torch and noticed a fair bit of black looking goo, greasy goo ? I'm guessing the seal has failed, allowed the grease to come out thus creating a dry bearing. That should explain the noise and possibly misdiagnosed brake binding.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  grinding brakes Chris_90 11 2,147 05-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Chris_90
  Grinding on rear passenger wheels at slow speeds Jukie88 3 1,304 06-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Last Post: C2K
  Strange/horrible grinding sound Jtrigga 3 1,152 09-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Last Post: John1.4