308 - Scrap or keep

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
308 - Scrap or keep
Need some advice on whether to repair or scrap. The other half drives the offending vehicle - a 308 HDi (2.0 136hp) on a 57 plate. We've had it since it was 2 1/2 years old n its now covered 110k. It's been serviced regularly n has been really reliable (only ever needed spring n wheel bearing).

Now it seems to be trying to self-destruct! Needs DMF & clutch. Also turbo has quite a whistle & is apparently on its way out. It's a difficult decision as car is probably only worth £2.5k n repairs are going to come to £1800. £1000 of that is labour. We'd be prepared to throw that money at it but if anything like the particulate filter decides to throw up a code we could be talking another £500 Sad

Local garages view is that its not worth doing the work. It's only 10 years old ffs!!!!
Thanks given by:
308 or 307?
Thanks given by:
Yea, it's a 308 Sam. It's a very early one on a 57 plate but I think has the same 2.0l HDi engine as went in the 307 (& quite a lot of Fords). The cam belt, tenstioners & water pump we're done in April btw.
Thanks given by:
id not worry about the turbo or dpf till it gices issue, do the flywheel and clutch and keep on trucking.

if the dpf gives issue the cheapest option is to git it and map it out.

turbo rebuilds arent that expensive, sounds like you are using a very expenaive garage
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the advice.  I think the local garage charge about £60 an hour but I've been using them since '99 and trust them.  I did phone around to get quotes for labour on the DMF/clutch & they were all much the same (£460).  Nothing's cheap round here unfortunately.  I also forgot to mention the £1800 included new front discs (warped) & some suspension bits.

Forgive my ignorance in asking this as don't know much about turbos.  I think the garage suggested it was a problem with the wastegate.  I noticed small puffs of what was probably exhaust from behind the rocker cover when the engine was revved.  There isn't really a loss of power.  Since the car's been well serviced I assume the chance of the bearings or seals biting the dust is relatively slim?
Thanks given by:
youll get a flywheep and clutch for less than 460, quick look at cp4l tge flywheel is 225 and clutch from 100 to 170.

solid kits are 300.

sooty smoke in the engine bay sounds more like an exhaust leak.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Yep, I can source both DMF & clutch for £270.  Problem is the labour.  Book time is 7.5 hours & I've not got the time to tackle it myself, or anywhere to do it.  One of he XSi's is currently occupying the garage without rear beam and a number of other bits!!!!
Thanks given by:
If I wasn't so busy I would offer my services.
I could travel to you and do the job for £325 on your drive

But be looking at mid/end January. Im booked solid.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Cheers Piggy.  Really kind offer.  Sadly only have on-road parking here.  (I rent a garage up the road).  I once worked under the car roadside but the number of d'heads who came past nearly clipping the wing mirror at considerably over the speed limit put an end to that.

Also, there is apparently swarf visible through the bell housing inspection hole so the end is near for the DMF.  I'd had suspicions it was on the way out but hadn't driven the car for many months.  I drove it to London last weekend.  I was like 'WTF' while the other half (with her lack of mechanical understanding) was convinced there wasn't a problem.  Dodgy  

We've decided to bite the bullet & get it sorted next week n then most likely chop the car in sometime in the new year before the turbo needs doing.  After an evening of research the Mrs has her eye on a new style Mazda 3.  Also they're just about the only relatively new petrol car that doesn't have the added complexity of a turbo.

If that plan changes I could maybe bring it up to you to have the turbo looked at?  I know you're not that far away.
Thanks given by:
The price of the parts is the price, utterly irrelevant looking online at CP4L or ECP prices if you can’t fit it yourself, garages make money on the parts too, they aren’t charities!
Thanks given by:
I kind of understand where you're coming from. I assume you're a mechanic? I've known the guys at my local garage for nearly 20 years now. I've given them plenty of work over in that time and often they've sourced the parts, often at surprisingly reasonable prices. On this occasion they quoted £460 for the labour & much the same for the parts. I asked whether they'd fit the DMF & clutch if I could source it for less n they were happy to do so. (Got both for £266 - LUK). Any business has the choice to take on work or not on the basis of whether they think it's worth their time or not. If they had said they weren't interested in the job I would have respected their decision n reviewed the situation accordingly.
Thanks given by:
Surprising they are happy to fit supplied parts, labour rate the same? Also be careful as they won’t supply warranty normally with supplied parts.
Thanks given by:
Thanks again for the advice on this one guys.  The car has now gone.  The clutch & DMF were sorted & the turbo carried on whistling but operating normally.  The GF PX'd it for a 2014 Mazda 3 yesterday.  It's a very nice car & the first time either of us has had anything other than a Peugeot for nearly 20 years!!
Thanks given by: