306 HDi not starting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 HDi not starting
Afternoon all,

I am having a problem with my 306 HDi not starting. There is power in the battery, engine is cranking but not firing. I have checked the high pressure side of the fuel system and getting diesel pumping out when turning the key, so no issues with the fuel system.

I have a handheld code reader and got the code P0403 EGR system malfunction. Now this confused me as I didn't think this would stop the engine from sarting, however, I stripped the EGR valve and cleaned it, checked the solenoid and the wiring. Still wouldn't fire, so had a friend with access to a proper diagnostic set.

There was the P0403 code as well as P0340 camshaft sensor circuit malfunction. I have changed the cam shaft sensor with the same result, not starting. So I have checked the wiring and I am getting a 5v supply when pins 1 and 3 checked with ignition on. When probing pin 3 and 12v+ I'm only getting about 7v instead of 12v. When probing pin 1 to earth I am getting no reading and when checking resistivity between pin 2 and ecu connector I am getting a low resistance reading, so no break in the wires.

Could someone please shed some light on this as I'm now stuck and can't see how to proceed.
Thanks given by:
Could you check that your key is recognised by the car? Does it unlocks fine with it?
Thanks given by:
The door has different barrels to the ignition, it was like that when I got it, however, it doesn't appear to be an immobiliser issue, because as far as I'm aware the immobiliser prevents the high pressure side of the fuel system from working and I'm getting fuel output on the high pressure side.

Unless I've got mixed up somewhere?
Thanks given by:
I don't think it stops the pressure building it doesn't fire the injectors. You could do with getting it on PP2000. The car won't start unless these conditions are met-

ECU unlocked.
Cam/crank synchronisation.
Cranking speed.
Rail pressure.
Thanks given by:
Any back story to this? No misbehaving prior to the non-starting, hasn't been left to sit for a while, etc?

Sounds a lot like immobiliser to me.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(27-11-2017, 09:54 AM)Orcrist_1986 Wrote: The door has different barrels to the ignition, it was like that when I got it, however, it doesn't appear to be an immobiliser issue, because as far as I'm aware the immobiliser prevents the high pressure side of the fuel system from working and I'm getting fuel output on the high pressure side.

Unless I've got mixed up somewhere?

The high pressure side of the system would output fuel even if the pump was seized solid - the lift pump would cause that to happen. When immobilised, the system doesn't fire the injectors, nothing to do with the high pressure side of the system.

You need to get this on PP2k before assuming any more.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by: