Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running rich
I think my yellow XSi (XU10J4R) is running a bit rich.  Even when warm you can smell a bit of unburnt fuel from the exhaust.  It also doesn't idle quite as smoothly as I'd like but that's definitely not an ICV issue.  (It's just a very slightly unstable).  It only just scraped through the emissions test on the MoT, although that might have been partly down to a minor exhaust leak between the manifold & cat.  I've checked:

> Coolant temp sensor - seems to be recording reasonable numbers when viewed on PP2000
> MAP sensor - was changed recently & also looking OK on PP2000
> O2 sensor - the old one looked like cheapo aftermarket, was bent out of shape was suspected of being lazy so was swapped out for a new Bosch one.
> Air intake temp sensor giving reasonable readings
> Fuel pressure regulator not leaking
> Injectors - cleaned & checked (professionally)
> Spark plugs look OK though & while they were out did a compression test to make sure engine wasn't breathing.  (Got 210, 210, 210, 205 psi across the cylinders)

Whatever it is that's out of kilter isn't enough to throw up a code on the ECU but I'd still like to get it running perfectly like my other one - the exhaust on that doesn't smell of anything when the engine is warm & the idle is rock steady.

The only other thing I can think might be causing it is the fuel tank breather, unless anyone else has any ideas?  I was thinking of clamping off the breather hose for a bit n just loosening the tank filler cap to see if that helps.

Any other suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated.  Oh, and if anyone can explain the crankcase ventilation on these I'm interested to know!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Might be running rich on start up DeeTurbo 2 1,427 10-08-2016, 08:38 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo