Software wizards - dieing PC

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Software wizards - dieing PC
So sounds relatively simple. 

PC was working lovely - runs from a SSD, quad core, decent spec PC on Win10

But for some reason, today, whenever I launch anything, the hard drive light remains constant and it's taking a solid 5 minutes to load anything at all.

I've tried restoring to yesterday when it was fine and nothing. 

Any miracle cures for this before I launch it out the window?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
There are lots of things it could be and lots of things you could try.

It could just be that Windows Update is busy in the background.  I've had it massively slow up my Windows PC at times, for several days in a row.  Hit 'Ctrl' + 'Alt' + 'Del' to launch Task Manager and find out if anything is hogging
resources.

Another candidate is any antivirus software you have running.  You can also check that with Task Manager.  If that raises any suspicions and you're pretty confident with the PC, type 'System Configuration' in to Cortana, go to the Services tab and uncheck the application you think is at fault.  It won't load on the next restart.  Just go back in to System Config to re-enable it.

You could error check the system, although it's probably OK if restoring to a previous version didn't fix the problem.

> Open File Explorer
> Right click over your system drive on left hand side of screen (usually c:\)
> Select 'Properties'
> Select 'Tools' tab
> Click on 'Check'

There are other troubleshooting options available by holding down the shift key while selecting 'Restart' from the Power (shutdown) button.  That includes the nuclear option of completely reinstalling Windows.

Good luck!
Thanks given by:
Much Like Mighty i would have a little ganders in task manager and have a look to see if anything is breaching threshhold not unheard of for your start up programs to be fully loaded with high usage programs which can also cause a slow down.
Check Out My Build Threads // Puglet Build 
Thanks given by:
If it starts blue screening and fails to start then it could be the SSD failing. This has happened to me several times. For now though it seems like its probably some application doing something.
Thanks given by:
Drop me a ping Ginge, will do a quick once-over for anything obvious via teamviewer if you want
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
Thanks for all the advice - tried the above, after task manager taking a good 15 minutes to load, there's nothing jumping out at me - a LOT of system host processes going.

Thanks Fooby , but the PC genuinely takes 15 minutes to load anything.

Currently at the repair shop Sad
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PC anti malware software! cpikey316_ 5 1,463 19-09-2017, 03:15 PM
Last Post: MisterGTR
  Networking wizards - help ginge191 9 1,473 12-02-2017, 09:05 AM
Last Post: ginge191
  Video editing software WiNgNuTz 13 2,055 26-04-2016, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Ruan