Fitting A New Break Servo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting A New Break Servo
Sooo Im after some advice on fitting a break servo in a 306 HDI As far as i understand i need to drop the engine off the top mount lift it up and pull it forward for there to be enough room i understand that it is bolted from the other side so as I understand I need to drop the column to make it easier to get to these two bolts? Any advice or guidance plus a rough time frame and anyone with the actaul part would be great.
Check Out My Build Threads // Puglet Build 
Thanks given by:
*brake.

sounds about right yes.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
unbolt and dropping coloumn away makes access easier

time depends on how long it takes you to arse around with the bolts that hold the servo to the bulkhead from inside the cabin

a few long 1/4inch extensions will help
Thanks given by:
(04-10-2017, 09:45 AM)welshpug Wrote: *brake.

sounds about right yes.

My bad it was early this morning lol

(04-10-2017, 10:44 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: unbolt and dropping coloumn away makes access easier

time depends on how long it takes you to arse around with the bolts that hold the servo to the bulkhead from inside the cabin

a few long 1/4inch extensions will help

Probably a stupid question but where are the bolts that hold the column up located?
Thanks given by:
Behind the lower column shroud iirc.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(04-10-2017, 12:28 PM)Poodle Wrote: Behind the lower column shroud iirc.

I dont suppose anyone has done a guide on replacing a brake servo as it owuld be something worth while us having on here as they seem to be something of a nightmare on 306 HDIs
Thanks given by:
they're not a nightmare

just a few bolts, some of which are pita to access as you're upside down - but you can see them alright, just a bit fiddly
Thanks given by:
(04-10-2017, 02:14 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: they're not a nightmare

just a few bolts, some of which are pita to access as you're upside down - but you can see them alright, just a bit fiddly

Ace haha just need to find a break servo
Thanks given by:
drop KrisB a note, he did mine for me. did a good job.
(ie, i paid someone else to do it)
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(04-10-2017, 08:03 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: drop KrisB a note, he did mine for me. did a good job.
(ie, i paid someone else to do it)

Seems pretty straight forward just need to find a servo/booster was looking at a gti6 one they seem to be able to cope better and dont go pop like the hdi ones do
Thanks given by:
they're the same part.

sure its not the vacuum pump or a valve?
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2017, 07:46 AM)welshpug Wrote: they're the same part.

Was alwasy told that if air is pissing out the brake pedal that it was the servo
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2017, 07:46 AM)welshpug Wrote: they're the same part.

Just curious and figure you'd be able to answer this question Welshpug .......What's the difference between the brake booster for a LH and a RH drive vehicle?  As far as I can tell the answer is very little, apart from the position of the vacuum valve.  I ask because the LH drive versions for sale on certain Euro-based retailers are less than half the price of the RH drive version!
Thanks given by:
Wrong way, pissing in I think, vaccum one side of the sprung loaded diaphragm, atmospheric ( the "boost" or "servo pressure" ) the other ?

Thinking about it, this may be the high pitched whistle i can hear from time to time. I think the last time i heard it i did press the brake pedal, but the whistle was still heard ?

Brakes on ours always seem powerful.

If the diaphragm is a bit leaky, brakes would be less powerful and the noise would be heard continually when the engine is running ??
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2017, 09:18 AM)pug306driver Wrote: Wrong way, pissing in I think, vaccum one side of the sprung loaded diaphragm, atmospheric ( the "boost" or "servo pressure" ) the other ?

Thinking about it, this may be the high pitched whistle i can hear from time to time. I think the last time i heard it i did press the brake pedal, but the whistle was still heard ?

Brakes on ours always seem powerful.

If the diaphragm is a bit leaky, brakes would be less powerful and the noise would be heard continually when the engine is running ??

I was gonna say since the hissing has started i have lost alot of my break effective and its hit or miss if the pedal isnt gonna be a rock hence why i thought the servo was the issue.
Thanks given by:
Always found the info on this site to be helpful.  This is their explanation of servo assisted brake operation.  Some info on diagnosis too.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/pwrsteer.htm
Thanks given by:
there is no difference between lhd and rhd servos, there is a small variety of different part numbers, gti6 shares the same unit as an estate for example, but the physical fitment is identical in them all.
Thanks given by:
If anyone is selling a servo let me know in need of one.
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2017, 10:29 AM)welshpug Wrote: there is no difference between lhd and rhd servos, there is a small variety of different part numbers, gti6 shares the same unit as an estate for example, but the physical fitment is identical in them all.

Thanks for clearing that up Welshpug - really useful to know, and sorry for hijacking your thread Tommie!
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2017, 11:46 AM)Mighty306 Wrote:
(05-10-2017, 10:29 AM)welshpug Wrote: there is no difference between lhd and rhd servos, there is a small variety of different part numbers, gti6 shares the same unit as an estate for example, but the physical fitment is identical in them all.

Thanks for clearing that up Welshpug - really useful to know, and sorry for hijacking your thread Tommie!

More info about a common issue the better lol did confuse me in parts tho lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brake booster servo Welshy_Pete 0 1,022 04-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Welshy_Pete
  Servo push rod adjustment. allye 2 1,089 02-02-2017, 08:57 PM
Last Post: allye
  406 servo relocation? Daniel306 3 2,154 27-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Daniel306