Fitting an ammeter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting an ammeter
hi all, quick question here.
I've got myself an ammeter (square panel type) with a compatible shunt included, and was just wondering where would be a suitable place to fit the shunt.
would next to the battery be ok? and which wire from the alternator do I use?
thanks in advance.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
shunt fits inline on the cable you want to measure current in,
so if you want to measure the battery charge current, cut it in line with the larger cable coming from the alternator to the battery.
you will then have two small wires that connect to each end of the shunt these measure voltage drop across the shunt,
your ammeter which is a volt meter Wink displays the voltage on a display marked as current

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
(30-09-2017, 09:16 AM)cully Wrote: shunt fits inline on the cable you want to measure current in,
so if you want to measure the battery charge current, cut it in line with the larger cable coming from the alternator to the battery.
you will then have two small wires that connect to each end of the shunt these measure voltage drop across the shunt,
your ammeter which is a volt meter Wink displays the voltage on a display marked as current

thank you Cully Smile
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Cheers Cully. Also been looking for a simple explanation as to what a shunt does.
Thanks given by:
(01-10-2017, 10:54 AM)Eeyore Wrote: Cheers Cully. Also been looking for a simple explanation as to what a shunt does.

he's good inni
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by: