HDI To GTI 6 Brake Conversion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI To GTI 6 Brake Conversion
Soo ive read a few guides but wanna ask a few questions before i start making purchases, my 306 is struggling to stop on the standard 306 HDI brakes so a friend has offered me a full GTI 6 break setup for the front as i am aware the rear brakes are the same. Is it a direct fit? Is it worth me uprating my brake lines to braided lines? Would anyone recommend a brand of GTI 6 Drilled & Grooved discs or are the ones I can find on eBay ok to use. 

Secondly is it a do at home job my rear passenger side hub bearing has gone and is starting to make some very worrying noises while cornering, is this something i can do at home or would you suggest i take it to a garage to do. I have little to no mechanical experience and will happily admit that.

Thanks for any answers in advance.
Check Out My Build Threads // Puglet Build 
Thanks given by:
Hi should be a direct fit. It would be good to do the brake lines to braided just for peace of mind and to know that its as good as it can be. I wouldnt particularly bother with drilled and grooved discs up front. Its hit and miss as to whether youll get a good set and youll see enough gains with the standard discs. Pagid stuff seems to be the best OEM at the moment.

Not sure how the rear bearings work but would suggest a garage do it if youre worried.
Thanks given by: TommiePuglet
(20-09-2017, 08:14 AM)Eeyore Wrote: Hi should be a direct fit. It would be good to do the brake lines to braided just for peace of mind and to know that its as good as it can be. I wouldnt particularly bother with drilled and grooved discs up front. Its hit and miss as to whether youll get a good set and youll see enough gains with the standard discs. Pagid stuff seems to be the best OEM at the moment.

Not sure how the rear bearings work but would suggest a garage do it if youre worried.
The idea over time although overkill would be to uprate to the 406 V6 4pot Brembos just because i like the look.
But thank you for a the guidance any clue on how much the rear wheel bearing should cost?
Thanks given by:
The wheel bearing and hub are integrated on rear disc brakes.  You'll need a 32mm socket and long bar or impact wrench to remove the hub nut.  You'll need a suitable puller to remove the old hub/bearing.  You need to keep the spacers/washers from the old hub and install back as they were.  Tightening the new hub nut (should come with kit) up to correct torque (185Nm) will seat the new hub on the stub axle pin.  Nut then needs to be staked.

According to Servicebox the HDi rear disc model needs part number 3748.72, although to be certain you need to check on Servicebox using your own vehicle details.  Although eBay says this part isn't compatible with the HDi, I'm reasonably certain it would be.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEYPARTS-KWB73...SwcF9UYC3f

According to this it is anyway https://partinfo.org/peugeot-374872/
Thanks given by:
remember with the 306 brembos they squeel unless you get the right disks. Those disks arent the 406 or 306 ones. I think you have to get xantia disks. Many have had them and then taken them off because of the noise. If you want something good I would recommend the gti6 setup and then sticking some ferodo ds2500 pads in.
Thanks given by:
You will need minimum 15" wheel too for the gti6 brakes...just in case you using the 14" wheels
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2017, 04:16 PM)Piggy Wrote: You will need minimum 15" wheel too for the gti6 brakes...just in case you using the 14" wheels

I know already sorted from that have a set of cyclones as spares and a set of I forget the name but the 406 version of nimrods with the correct ET.

(20-09-2017, 01:23 PM)Eeyore Wrote: remember with the 306 brembos they squeel unless you get the right disks. Those disks arent the 406 or 306 ones. I think you have to get xantia disks. Many have had them and then taken them off because of the noise. If you want something good I would recommend the gti6 setup and then sticking some ferodo ds2500 pads in.

Just been talking to a friend who has both GTI6 Brakes and 4Pot V6 Brembos and he said there isn't much between the two. So I'll stick with the GTi6 setup and have a ganders at those pads you are talking about.
Thanks given by:
Also the 406 Brembos would give a hard time finding wheels that fit. A friend of mine had Brembos on his rallye and they noticed the spacers during inspection. Spacers are illegal here (if not meant for that specific car+wheel combination and those spacers were universal. So it didn't pass and I had to find something. After a lot of testing I found out that my 16" OZ Superturismos cleared the brembos after I grinded veeery minimal from the corner of the caliper. So I sold those wheels to him

Also like stated here, the Xantia V6 disc is only 288mm comparing to GTI-6 283mm. Also the caliper comes out so much comparing to the hub and disc so it causes problems. And the brake force the rallye achieved in inspection on the front brakes didn't differ at all from my S16 which has GTI-6 calipers and a 23.8mm master cylinder. So the 406 Brembos are a no-brainer in my opinion.. They look cool but aren't worth the hassle.
Thanks given by:
I have an epic 306 gti6 caliper/pad/disc combo setup for sale if interested
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2017, 07:56 PM)Piggy Wrote: I have an epic 306 gti6 caliper/pad/disc combo setup for sale if interested

Depended on price atm im still recovering from buying the BMW
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2017, 08:04 AM)TommiePuglet Wrote:
(09-10-2017, 07:56 PM)Piggy Wrote: I have an epic 306 gti6 caliper/pad/disc combo setup for sale if interested

Wait till you need to repair it....

There's a forsake listing in the parts section Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2017, 08:12 AM)Piggy Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 08:04 AM)TommiePuglet Wrote:

Wait till you need to repair it....

There's a forsake listing in the parts section Smile

Ill take a ganders and have a look and let you know, and tbh as much as im loving the BMW life im thinking of trying to trade it for a Fabia VRS PD130 or An Ibiza PD130.
Thanks given by:
If your brakes are struggling to stop the car there is another problem, hdi brakes aren't shabby. Clean and grease the caliper sliders and pads carriers, check pistons move freely and brakes hoses aren't perished. Worth checking the handbrake levers on the rear calipers go all the way back and cables are free too.

Of course, if you want to upgrade anyway go for it. I'd stick to oem spec (trw, pagid, mintex, etc) unless you're planning on doing some serious fast road and/or track time.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(10-10-2017, 12:36 PM)Poodle Wrote: If your brakes are struggling to stop the car there is another problem, hdi brakes aren't shabby. Clean and grease the caliper sliders and pads carriers, check pistons move freely and brakes hoses aren't perished. Worth checking the handbrake levers on the rear calipers go all the way back and cables are free too.

Of course, if you want to upgrade anyway go for it. I'd stick to oem spec (trw, pagid, mintex, etc) unless you're planning on doing some serious fast road and/or track time.

Im looking to run it at 180bhp with just under or around 300lbft of torque.
Thanks given by:
poodle is right, there is something amiss there for sure. When I got my HDI i serviced all the claipers and replaced the pads and discs all round, even with 180bhp you really shouldn't have a issue with the standard setup, its pretty good really.

On my 205 I'm using 247mm setup with 250bhp.
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2017, 05:07 PM)allye Wrote: poodle is right, there is something amiss there for sure. When I got my HDI i serviced all the claipers and replaced the pads and discs all round, even with 180bhp you really shouldn't have a issue with the standard setup, its pretty good really.

On my 205 I'm using 247mm setup with 250bhp.

stay out the pub your pub figures are wild  Rofl
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
Ill wack all the calipers off and take a good look at everything over the next week or so.
Thanks given by:
Don't overlook a fluid change either. Shit old fluid makes your brakes poor.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Could probably do with a fluid change have no note of one ever just very worried about cracking bleed nipples as they are also very old and will probably snap before they crack off
Thanks given by:
Fronts will be fine. Rear, wire brush them clean of dirt and rust and start dousing in real penetrating fluid (plus gas, not wd40) . Start doing this at least a week in advance of the job and refresh nightly. Smack the top of the nipples with a ball pein hammer to assist in breaking the seizure. Use a good fitting 6 sided socket and break in a clean sweep motion. Once free initially you can rock the nipple backwards and forwards to work the fluid in, or just undo as you see fit. Then can bleed with a flare spanner as normal.

Some pics in my project thread somewhere if you need it.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Had one slight issue front wheel bearing has gone bomb leaving me abit stuck so gonna have to wait it seems...
Thanks given by:
Heat works really well for getting things like that off without any drama as well.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  308 Brake conversion The Coolest 22 5,056 09-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Last Post: welshpug
Question Hdi - gti conversion. Brake line query Slam Wagon 3 1,593 05-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  306 DT to GTI Brake conversion 306 d turbo 4 1,773 16-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Marcus1991