306 D Turbo Loving

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 D Turbo Loving
Hi All! Having admired 306's from afar for long enough, I have just bought a beautiful '95 D Turbo. I've read so many good things about this engine, so I'm hoping it will prove a trusty runaround for my Scottish Highland locale. 

Not being hugely mechanically minded, but also wanting to do as much work myself as possible, I'm likely to have a few questions. Hoping you bunch will have the patience to deal with not only a pug noob, but also a forum noob haha!  

Though the car is running really well, and I'm loving the growl of this engine (and the kick of the turbo), there are a few issues. The one is that the rear wheels seem to be connecting with the wheel arch/wheel arch liner when I go over a bump with people in the back. This is disconcerting for me and for passengers! I realised that the rear tyres were probably too big (it's got 15" 205 GTI wheels - will post a pic when I have a chance) and the tyres were 195/65 R15's. I replaced these with 195/55 R15's today, which has helped a LOT, but I think they might still be connecting a touch. Don't know whether the car has been lowered, but if it has it's very subtle. Anyway, I'm sure there's a more appropriate place to discuss this. 

The other thing is that I want the car to last more than one winter, and they salt the roads intensively up here, so I'm intending to Waxoyl it over the next few days. Don't kill me.  Speechless
Thanks given by:
Welcome along. Not to put you of these straight away but the rear axle bearings go on these and cause that rubbing you have as the camber inwards. Just check the rear arch guards arent full of mud first and check condition of axle. If axle is a bit on the leany side it is easy enough to repace with a refurb one if you have a few basic tool s
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by: Phulleyable
(04-09-2017, 08:03 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Welcome along. Not to put you of these straight away but the rear axle bearings go on these and cause that rubbing you have as the camber inwards. Just check the rear arch guards arent full of mud first and check condition of axle. If axle is a bit on the leany side it is easy enough to repace with a refurb one if you have a few basic tool s

Nah, the arch guards aren't dirty. It's rubbed right through the guard and onto the metal on the right side of the car, but not as bad on the left side. On both wheels it's rubbed through at the back of the arch, and on the inside of the wheel. As I said though, the correct profile tyres seemed to have helped a lot - possibly solved it, but I'll need to drive some more to be sure. How would you check for a leany axle?
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum and I hope you continue to enjoy the car for a good while.  If you post a few pics of the car from the side and some views taken low down looking at each rear tyre the experts on here may be able to give you an idea of whether you have serious camber on the rear wheels or just sitting a bit low.

When you need it I'm sure you'll get lots of advice on other issues too.  I've received loads of help already and I haven't been on here that long!
(04-09-2017, 09:47 PM)Mighty306 Wrote: Welcome to the forum and I hope you continue to enjoy the car for a good while.  If you post a few pics of the car from the side and some views taken low down looking at each rear tyre the experts on here may be able to give you an idea of whether you have serious camber on the rear wheels or just sitting a bit low.

When you need it I'm sure you'll get lots of advice on other issues too.  I've received loads of help already and I haven't been on here that long!

Thanks for the welcome.  Smile I'll take some pics tomorrow in the light!
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2017, 09:47 PM)Mighty306 Wrote: Welcome to the forum and I hope you continue to enjoy the car for a good while.  If you post a few pics of the car from the side and some views taken low down looking at each rear tyre the experts on here may be able to give you an idea of whether you have serious camber on the rear wheels or just sitting a bit low.

^ This is where it's rubbed through on the driver's rear wheel.

^ I've tried to show the camber here. Does this look off? It does to me!! Bear in mind I've just put these tyres on, so they aren't going to show any unusual wear yet.

^ and the other side...
Thanks given by:
Yeah thats cambered over. See if you can speak to stef on here about an axle he will sort you out. Never had one of him myself but i hear hood things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Yes, that nearside rear wheel looks like mine did.  Stef205 correctly predicted that the beam tube would be scrap by that point.  Unfortunately it's a very common problem with 306's so don't get too down about it.  If you don't have history showing the rear axle has been refurbished or replaced you have to assume it needs doing, even if you can't see significant camber.

This is the thread I posted about getting mine sorted (still in progress as am attempting to re-furb the old beam to go on a second car).  https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=35827

If you're hoping to make the car a 'keeper' then it's worth doing, especially if the body shell and engine are solid.  I've got petrol 306's but I understand the D Turbos are pretty bullet proof.  If you do it yourself you might want to make plans to have alternative transport for a week or two.  There's stuff you'll have to swap over on to a new/refurbished beam and it can take a while (and the help of a press or a heavy duty puller).  Also you might find progress stalled by stripped bolts etc & the possible realisation that new beam mounts are also required.
(05-09-2017, 10:08 AM)Mighty306 Wrote: Yes, that nearside rear wheel looks like mine did.  Stef205 correctly predicted that the beam tube would be scrap by that point.  Unfortunately it's a very common problem with 306's so don't get too down about it.  If you don't have history showing the rear axle has been refurbished or replaced you have to assume it needs doing, even if you can't see significant camber.

This is the thread I posted about getting mine sorted (still in progress as am attempting to re-furb the old beam to go on a second car).  https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=35827

If you're hoping to make the car a 'keeper' then it's worth doing, especially if the body shell and engine are solid.  I've got petrol 306's but I understand the D Turbos are pretty bullet proof.  If you do it yourself you might want to make plans to have alternative transport for a week or two.  There's stuff you'll have to swap over on to a new/refurbished beam and it can take a while (and the help of a press or a heavy duty puller).  Also you might find progress stalled by stripped bolts etc & the possible realisation that new beam mounts are also required.

Yep, your camber looks pretty much the same in your pics. I'm thinking a refurbished unit will probably suit me better, as don't really have time to do a refurb myself. Will take enough time to swap the brakes etc. over, as you say!
Thanks given by:
Hey, welcome to the forum, I guess you can already tell it's full of helpful advice. Have you got any other pics of the car - might be worth starting a project thread if you have other plans?
190k Moonstone 3dr HDI sold
..on the lookout for a 6/rallye

Thanks given by:
(14-09-2017, 10:34 AM)partybish Wrote: Hey, welcome to the forum, I guess you can already tell it's full of helpful advice.  Have you got any other pics of the car - might be worth starting a project thread if you have other plans?

Thanks for the welcome! It's currently up on blocks and I'm taking pics. Will post a project thread soon.
Thanks given by: