Best Rad for Dturbo?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Rad for Dturbo?
Hey folks,

97 Ph2 D turbo. Been meaning to renew the rad since I got the car about a year and a half ago, the fins are very crusty in the usual places and it has a slight leak somewhere in the core, howver it works fine so have been lazy.  Thing is, I am now carrying bikes on the roof occasionally, and this makes a hell of alot of drag (I can feel it when driving). Noticed today on a sustained slight uphill motorway section, that maintaining 70mph results in the temp creeping to 90 (would probably go beyond if I didn't use the heater to dump heat), so I've decided to bite the bullet and replace the rad to try to improve cooling efficiency (as I say, it needs done anyway before it lets me down)

Just wanted to check  - is there a thicker rad or something that is recommended, or would I be fine just getting the correct Nissens Aluminium Rad for the car? 

Cheers
Craig
Thanks given by:
Youll be fine putting a proper nissens in for that sorta stuff to be fair. I would also advise reknewing the thermostat while coolants out as well. Genuine one not a cheap knock off and youll be golden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(27-08-2017, 05:14 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Youll be fine putting a proper nissens in for that sorta stuff to be fair. I would also advise reknewing the thermostat while coolants out as well. Genuine one not a cheap knock off and youll be golden

Champion thanks. Think the one I need is the 63508 mine's a 97 phase 2, with the external expansion tank.  Checked the part online with Nissen's catalog.  Only annoying thing is that it doesn't seem to have a drain plug. There's an outlet, but where the hole would be is just blanked off.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
Craig
Thanks given by:
no worries dude. One last thing is make sure the bottom hose comes off the rad as well. As they sometimes sieze in meaning you need a new one and its a proper pain if its your only vehicle
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
(27-08-2017, 05:32 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: no worries dude. One last thing is make sure the bottom hose comes off the rad as well. As they sometimes sieze in meaning you need a new one and its a proper pain if its your only vehicle

lol yeah, been there before. I ususally take the rad out with the bottom hose attached rather than try to unclip it with the rad still in the car.  Just emailed an ebay seller to confirm his listed part is a GENUINE nissens rather than an equivalent. Prices seem to be between about £52 and £64 so not too bad.

Thanks again
Thanks given by:
(27-08-2017, 05:41 PM)carlukepeugeot Wrote:
(27-08-2017, 05:32 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: no worries dude. One last thing is make sure the bottom hose comes off the rad as well. As they sometimes sieze in meaning you need a new one and its a proper pain if its your only vehicle

lol yeah, been there before. I ususally take the rad out with the bottom hose attached rather than try to unclip it with the rad still in the car.  Just emailed an ebay seller to confirm his listed part is a GENUINE nissens rather than an equivalent. Prices seem to be between about £52 and £64 so not too bad.

Thanks again

that's what i do too, remove the pipe off the block and fit it to the rad off the car, thread it through when refitting the rad, lots easier, i have a nissans rad had it for about 6 years now, no complaints Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(27-08-2017, 07:19 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(27-08-2017, 05:41 PM)carlukepeugeot Wrote:

Thanks again

that's what i do too, remove the pipe off the block and fit it to the rad off the car, thread it through when refitting the rad, lots easier, i have a nissans rad had it for about 6 years now, no complaints Smile

Cool (pardon the pun Itwasntme )  Hopefully a decent rad, a good clean out , new stat and fresh coolant will give me a bit more cooling. Bit of a PITA putting the windows down and dumping heat with the heater. Works bloody well mind you....

We go to Center Parcs in the summer sometimes, and I remember with my previous XLDt one year it was very very hot and still weather. Worst case weather for cooling. My route includes the A66, and there's some big old climbs on that road. It was windows down, heater on full for alot of that road... Doh
Thanks given by:
Got the nissens rad in. Just one question, there's no finisher strip along the top (or bottom) if that makes sense. On the old rad, there is alike a metal U channel strip across the top. Is that normal that this is not fitted to new rads ?
Thanks given by:
Its not normally there in factory ones either. My wifes one had a cheap aftermarket one and had that strip though

Thanks given by:
Ah, OK. Just looks a bit naff as there's just like soft flattened fins along the top, which of course all get bashed as you install the rad / refit the front end. I might see if it's possible to transfer the one off the old rad, looks like it just kinda clips on.

As long as it's not a missing bit then that's the main thing. Thanks!

Craig
Thanks given by:
It shouldnt have flattend fins it should have a metal guard if not its bot nissens. I assume you meant the crapy rads that have the plastic trims, get a picture up

Thanks given by: