Is thickness of radiator important?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is thickness of radiator important?
I bought a nissens radiator for my 97 dturbo, but in the box I got an ordonez. I thought maybe they're just an oem for nissens, but it was also thinner than the specifications so I bought the same part number from a different source to be sure.

This second one turned out to be nissens branded and the right thickness - but it was also a bit more expensive so I'm not sure which one to keep (both are easily returnable).

Is it possible the ordonez one is a newer design that cools just as well with less material?  The thicker one certainly came in a much older looking box.

Also I really wanted a drain plug to make life easier in the future; the ordonez doesn't have one, and the nissens has this weird bit where one should be, but I can't work out if I can make it into one. Annoying cos the spec for this nissens part says it has a proper one

[Image: y4m__lwxHNtoU6xhWBa_8rgfMHDrD-JSPcLi-SL-...pmode=none]

[Image: s!AnOsE9t_J3F3gtVio8zvkXkZlpCyIA]
Thanks given by:
thicker is better for sure
Thanks given by:
only if it's efficient.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2017, 09:52 AM)welshpug Wrote: only if it's efficient.

id put money on the thicker nissens being better over the thinner ordonez one
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2017, 07:50 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: thicker is better 

Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
They're both made of aluminium, have the same size and number of pipes, and the same fin spacing, so I guess the only difference related to cooling is a bit more fin surface area on the thicker one. Unless there's any other way a radiator can be made more efficient?

Regarding where the drain plug should be, I've realised pug sells them separately - does anyone know if one would fit in there (130677)? Although I guess I'd have to drill a hole for it to work, which doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd normally have to do..
Thanks given by:
My Nissans has a drain hole
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Non of my nissens rads had drains
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2017, 08:13 PM)HDIkyle Wrote: Non of my nissens rads had drains

you sure? . . . .  you need a big wide flathead to open it Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I can confirm my last nissens one also had a drain as matt said
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Did it look like this:

[Image: IMG_0567.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0568.jpg]

If so, do you have to make a hole for the coolant to come out?  Or did they come with a drain plug already attacged?  Huh
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  headgasket thickness Ricky 5 1,735 23-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Ricky