Hi everyone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi everyone
Hi everyone, 

my first post - I have a 2001 grey 1.6 auto cabriolet with only 74000kms located in SW France, in pretty good condition considering it's age and my Mrs and I love it.  It has 3 issues.  The first is one of the rear windows does not always go down when the button is pressed. I thinks its the switch or a cracked joint in a relay because when the car gets hot is often starts to work.   Second is a lost stereo code,  the lady who sold it to me and who had owned it for the previous 10 years never made a note of the stereo code and the stereo doesn't work after the battery was replaced. Third issue is the windscreen surround flying off.
So my questions to you all are:  
1. the volume knob is that horrid old rubber which decomposes after 16 years - so please recommend me a low-end replacement stereo unit which will just plug-in and work without the need for ancillary converters etc and has a CD like the existing one.
2. How do I get the old stereo out?  There are 2 small round holes, top left+right. I tried jamming in some straight sticks which appeared to lift some catch inside, but it still wouldn't come out.
3.  I have a few more chances to enter the code, does the old trick of adding 1234 to the serial number still work, if I can get it out?
4.  What is the final cure for the rubber windscreen surround which flies off at 60mph?

Thanks!
Steve
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the club!

Have you got a picture of the radio? That will help work out how to get it out. Once its out hopefully there is a code on the top of it that you can then use the 1234 method on to get it working. I dont think the unit ever locks. It just takes a while to reset.

Rubber windscreen, an issue i think many of us have in the corners of the screen however no idea how to fix it. Windscreen people must have a special tool.
Thanks given by:
Hi, welcome to the forum. I ended up getting a pioneer MVH8300 as I liked the fascia and it has decent preouts for use with an amp - it came with a harness/adaptor so it was very easy plug and play installation but I think most aftermarket stereos would require you to buy a harness to make the plugs fit (they're relatively cheap), you can even buy adaptors to enable you to keep the steering wheel stalk functions.
190k Moonstone 3dr HDI sold
..on the lookout for a 6/rallye

Thanks given by:
Hi again,

The stereo is a PU 2294 B I checked some Youtube videos (e.g. this one had it in his Citroen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA9wq8ung-g) and the +1234 trick doesn't seem to work on those. He was literally unsoldering the EEPROM and reading it. Far easier to get a new stereo with extra features, if I could find the right prongs to get it out...
Thanks for the Pioneer recommendation, may be a bit high-end and therefore desirable to steel on a cabriolet when we leave the roof down in the supermarket car-park. Also thanks for the heads-up about stalk and steering wheel functions - never having had a working stereo I never used them so if I can get them to work then great, but otherwise, I probably won't worry about it.

The local garage previously did a pretty good job on the windscreen surround, basically I think they crimped the bottom hard between 2 bits of metal, which worked for 5 months until we took it on the Autoroute at 80mph/130kph. Now it doesn't ever stick for long and we are running without it.
Thanks given by: