Peugeot 309 16v TU Petrol Project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peugeot 309 16v TU Petrol Project
Anyone recognise this one?

[Image: IMG_0145_zps1gzwmfyn.jpg]

Had it since October last year and just been using it as a bit of storage for 309 bits and pieces.

Basically 1.3 G1A (rattle box) base model complete with manual choke. Starts, drives and stops. Few odd dinks here and there but it is fairly straight else.

Needs a bit of attention, mainly to address the tin worm in the boot area. Bit more needed than my diesel one but manageable in an afternoon I reckon. Rear window has been wedged up and driver one creeps down on its own accord when opening/shutting the door multiple times.

Needed to move it the other day, and rear brakes were pretty tight so quickly put it on the ramp to loosen them off, turns out the handbrake cables are nigh on past it so managed to loosened them off for the moment until I sort new ones.

Sourced a fresh motor for the shell. Had it for a number of months now and recently got it bolted up to the engine stand to put the sump back on and get the cam covers sorted. Some may notice it's a previous forum member’s project, keen people will work out what it is from its upside down phone.

[Image: 71432DD2-FA50-4B8E-90BE-A04BD610F76B_zpslimjuync.jpg]

Will need a few spares; manifold and downpipe for a first instance. So will progress with what I have to start with.
Thanks given by:
Please tell me that's the jp4 lump?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Diesel 205/309 projects all over this forum recently, nice to see a petrol one for once, should go well once finished whether its a J4 or JP4 or whatever Smile
Thanks given by:
nice looking motor. Have a soft spot for these old things. I recognise the photo but i cant think where from
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
is it darren's old 16v 1.6 lump? . . Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
It's my old motor.
Pleased to see it getting looked at.
I really hope you do everything I didn't do to it that it needs.
It's a good shell with a very poor engine.

Like.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2017, 12:52 PM)Poodle Wrote: Please tell me that's the jp4 lump?

Nearly, just its older relation...the J4. Just what was available for cheap at the time.

(10-05-2017, 01:54 PM)MY95 Wrote: Diesel 205/309 projects all over this forum recently, nice to see a petrol one for once, should go well once finished whether its a J4 or JP4 or whatever Smile

Cheers, hopefully be a bit of a laugh if it makes it to the tarmac

(10-05-2017, 02:52 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: nice looking motor. Have a soft spot for these old things. I recognise the photo but i cant think where from

Was a local one to you for a time.

(10-05-2017, 06:11 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: is it darren's old 16v 1.6 lump? . .  Smile

Nah its Craigus's old lump that was going to go into a 205. Needs a few bits to build it up but will get to them as and when.

(10-05-2017, 08:03 PM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: It's my old motor.
Pleased to see it getting looked at.
I really hope you do everything I didn't do to it that it needs.
It's a good shell with a very poor engine.

Like.

Thought you should recognise it.

Finally the car will get some attention on itself, from me, now.

So that is the plan...drop the TU5J4 into the shell and try and make it work.
Thanks given by:
Engine choice sounds sweet, keeping it standard or sticking some cams on? Much modification needed to fit? Think I recollect one of the first TU engines being in a 205/309 so shouldnt be too difficult to mount up? Looking forward to see whichever car you bring to FCS/Pugfest Smile
Thanks given by:
(11-05-2017, 09:19 AM)MY95 Wrote: Engine choice sounds sweet, keeping it standard or sticking some cams on? Much modification needed to fit? Think I recollect one of the first TU engines being in a 205/309 so shouldnt be too difficult to mount up? Looking forward to see whichever car you bring to FCS/Pugfest Smile

Just stock cams for now. Would like to strap a blower to it really, but think the main focus will be to get it in running & driving. Engine mounts seem to work, Craig already modified the O/S one. Struggling for a gearbox one at the moment but will no doubt end up modifying something with the help of a grinder & welder.

Got two looms to choose from so just started marking up what wires are what at the chassis plug.

The diesel should be at FCS, we'll see if this could come to pugfest.
Thanks given by: MY95
So the diesel is up together for the moment, still little things need sorting but hopefully it can stay off the ramp for the moment.

Decided to drag the rattle box in and get it in the air. 

Drained Fluids, labelled and disconnected the wiring. 

It is a bit ripe underneath but will just have to have a day on the welder and fabricate some plates up to patch it together.

I believe I have most of the parts ready to bolt on and drop in. Just an alternator to find at some point.

Couple engine bay photos of the disappointing 1.3 motor that is going straight in the skip.

Thanks given by:
looks good. Wasnt this jordans before it was dannys?
Thanks given by:
Yeah, he had it grandpa spec with beaded seat covers and stuff. For five minutes, as he tends to do.
It was my Mrs daily for a year after. I hated it but she loved it.
Glad to see it getting some attention though.
I hope you have some less comedy suspension lined up for it Fish? It was always on its doorhandles going round corners. :-)

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2017, 06:31 PM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: I hope you have some less comedy suspension lined up for it Fish? It was always on its doorhandles going round corners. :-)

Hah, yeah you really do need to watch that base spec suspension on the corners.

But yeah will keep eyes open for something better though
Thanks given by:
Its out, another engine to add to the growing pile of ones to weigh in.

Need to push the car outside and get at the bay with the pressure washer next.

Fair size bore on the downpipe for a 1.3

Thanks given by:
This is so epic to see some progress man. Really looking forward to seeing this done as its something ive wanted to do to a 205 base shell for a long time.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Nice to see you building another 309 dude.
Thanks given by:
So slowly been doing things between other jobs on this

Collecting spares like water pipes off a chap breaking a 205 CT(?) and a 4 branch off a proper hero on here.

Lifted the TU in. Sat in there pretty well.

Then took it back out and stripped the shell for spares.

Nospeak

Thanks given by:
ssaaayyy whhhaattttt. I feel as if this is missing the bit where you say youve got a new shell!
Thanks given by:
Hmmmm what gives. Youve got something up your sleeve surely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Just had a read as a friend has a 309 and thought id look at what a conversion had to take and Jesus that took a turn at the end xD
Check Out My Build Threads // Puglet Build 
Thanks given by:
Yeah did forget to add the new shell photo.

So here it is

In hole heartedly a 1992 'Style' trim 1.4 TU with 88k so it has the correct driveshafts for the MA box amongst a few other odds and ends.

This one is actually pretty solid and has MOT which kinda condemned the old one. Robbed a few spares for my own collection so it was useful. Anyways this one has lived in Paignton for the majority of its life (next to the sea for those who haven't heard of the place). So presumed it was going to be a rust bucket. Actually quite the opposite. Chap bought it off an old gentleman and drove it up to Cullompton and basically cooked the headgasket. Lost interest and put it up on Faceache.

It still starts and runs and even drove back 15 odd miles, after about 4 stops, including one in a field gateway and finding a rather clean puddle of water to refill the can. Could only fill the rad half way because of the most chronic water leak from under the dizzy which I haven't inspected yet. Low coolant light works well.

Drove ok apart from front wheelbearing or shaft making a noise and the forementioned. Surprisingly pokey for a 1.4

Once axle back together on the diesel I'll hope to get the engine out of this and start again.
Thanks given by:
I think i preferred the old shell. Espceially the pin striping. Anyway... solid is solid so good luck!
Thanks given by:
Fair play, was a bit of a nail. Good luck with the new shell.

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
I have a mate (doesph on here) who has a full tu setup, subframe shafts box mounts everything if you need anything im sure he can oblidge for you man. Be nice to see this make some more headway Smile
Thanks given by:
My Mrs was almost in tears when I showed her that scrapper shot. She loved that POS.

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2017, 11:24 AM)Eeyore Wrote: I think i preferred the old shell. Espceially the pin striping. Anyway... solid is solid so good luck!

Pinstripe did set that one off, roof had lost all of its lacquer and shine though.

(27-10-2017, 04:11 PM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: Fair play, was a bit of a nail. Good luck with the new shell.

My Mrs was almost in tears when I showed her that scrapper shot. She loved that POS.

I do apologise, was just going to need a good day or so on welding to sort it out. Kept quite a few bits off it for myself to put on to the diesel and the TU.

(27-10-2017, 06:53 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: I have a mate (doesph on here) who has a full tu setup, subframe shafts box mounts everything if you need anything im sure he can oblidge for you man. Be nice to see this make some more headway Smile

Cheers, will bare in mind. Collected some loom plugs last night so just get my loom sorted and should see it running after a weekend of swapping things out. Only other majors thing to adapt will be the exhaust and fitting hard fuel lines under the car to take the tank's pump pressure.
Thanks given by:
I don't blame you mate, if a better shell was available I would have done the same.
I wasn't as fond of it as her anyway.

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
Might as well do a small update on this.

Seeing as the diesel one is in daily use the ramp was free so I put the petrol one in undercover.

Found a bit of enthusiasm over xmas to hook the engine out and clean the bay up. Original engine seemed to be oil covered which, in turn, made one of the water pipes to the matrix soft and split hence causing the massive water leak.

Pressure washed the bay while I had the chance, and lifted the 1600 in.

Had a loom that had already been 'played' with but had a friend assisting with labelling up what was what. Autodata and Haynes had us confused over the fuel pump wire but worked it out in the end.

Labelled the car loom (what there is of it) and just need to joing everything up now.

Crank sensor had me stumped, plug on the loom is a 3 pin connector, so early type. Majority of what is used is a 2 pin one. Did find in a box of bits, an alloy bracket and sensor just didn't look like it mounted right (only test fitted for the moment). Seems to be the setup though like a 1.4 306, just need to find the plastic cover.

Dropped the tank to run couple new fuel lines and sort the pump, found typical crusty brake pipes and bit of rust beside the tank. Chopped a bit out one side to have a nose and need to get at the other side where someone has done a fantastic bodge to hide, what I'm guessing is, another hole.

More progress when I aquire some more welding gas.
Thanks given by:
Love this. Im putting a 16v into my 205 some time in the future (damn wedding to pay for) so ill be watching this with interest.
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
So it runs and drives, got a driveshaft clonking and a front brake started to bind. Doesn't matter as I have better brakes to go one rather than the solid discs thats is on there.

Bit of tidying to do but its together and it moves under it's own steam.

Thoughts on wrapping the manifold...? Edging towards I should of.

Also, I know the filter is stupid, ideally i would of liked it black.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peugeot 206 2.0 HDI Project L2theK 11 5,605 04-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Last Post: L2theK
  Peugeot 309 d turbo project adampug 30 12,843 04-12-2016, 10:03 AM
Last Post: adampug
  peugeot expert project davidfarrellt 2 2,194 16-09-2015, 07:54 AM
Last Post: davidfarrellt