Quick possible diagnostic anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick possible diagnostic anyone?
Hiya,
Have a 1.6 Phase 1 which is really misbehaving - to the point that I don´t want to take it for an MOT in case I´m laughed out of the place.

symptoms:
Cold start and it revs and falls rum-rum style - very rythmically until it warms up
Runs a bit fast 1000+ at normal warm idle - will suddenly dip and die (does this extremely frequently- particularly waiting a junction to pull off)
Hesitates at full throttle - generally not an even acceleration
Throttle stays on momentarilly when I lift my foot off the pedal - causes a bit of a rev between gear changes like a sticking pedal.

Can´t comment on petrol consumption as I haven´t used the car enough (no MOT yet) and haven´t driven it sufficiently to say how long this has been going on or if it´s getting worse etc. I don´t have a service history with the car so can´t say if the Lambda or temperature sensors have been replaced. 

I know if I take it for the test and it fails - they´ll probably just say fail on emissions which is not informative.

"Take it to the garage if you don´t know what it is" I can hear you all say - however my friendly mechanic has gone away and I´m looking at an unsympathetic and money-grabbing Peugeot franchise garage or a back-streeter who I don´t know from Adam.

To have some pointer as to the potential problem will save me paying new car money due to ignorance.
Thanks a lot Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the idle control
Valve they have a habit of sticking and causing all sorts of atuff like this. Pop it off and give it a clean. From memory i think its a coulle of torx bolt at back of manifold google a picture of it Smile failing that could be an air leak come back to us once youve tried though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Thanx- had heard about stepper motors being an issue. It´s well worth a go - will post an update.
Thanks given by:
Hi, well finally packed the nipper and the gnasher off with their mum for a while and got a look at this famous stepper motor - and cannot find it. It seems like there isn´t one.
I googled the pic and watched several different guides on cleaning etc., but try as I might, I haven´t found any pic online of a car that has the setup I´ve got.
Now, I stand before you ready to be called a dolt and that´s just fine as I can hang a door, fit a toilet etc, but under the bonnet, I´m at sea.
have a look and tell me what you think (taken from both sides for that stereo look)...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
it'll be a bosch 3 wire item on the underneath of the manifold.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
OK - So this is delayed a bit! We motored on for a while adapting our driving style to the car - the Skoda had come off the road at this stage so no alternative (uninsured) car to take instead - and the perfect storm blew up.

The starter motor began to give trouble - meaning that the car could cut out and potentially be unstartable without a push! Hurray!

The final straw came when it cut out while someone was going over a zebra crossing, family+groceries inside, slight incline, several cars behind, the starter wouldn´t turn cos it was hot/wrecked, 30minutes walk from home... you get the picture.

After causing minor traffic disruption and with the help of the drivers behind, we got it parked. I called the flatbed using a very useful basic feature of all Spanish car insurance - free recovery. The car was trailered to a workshop where I´ve had some stuff done on it before and was left there. It was late Saturday afternoon in July and the place was closed.

We got a neighbour to collect the wife and kids and I later walked the shopping home separately - arms and shoulders aching...

On Sunday, I took the kids round by the workshop during a run to a nearby park. My older boy wanted to know what the problem was so I took the keys - and the feckin thing started first turn of said key! Clearly we had a problem and - all sense being cast to one side - I drove them home and we continued to use the car (parked facing downwards) until early August - when it went back to the garage for a starter and stepper motor.

I have no money so they didn´t replace the stepper motor - just cleaned it - and they put in a ´bargain´ starter motor - total bill E160. At least when it stops I can start it now!

The stepper motor is not adequate and the same issues continue. I believe the only replacement to get is the Magnetti Marelli one? I want to hand it to the workshop to fit. Would that be correct?

I am fed up with the cold start revving behaviour, hesitation, unreliable pull-away, overrevving, sticking throttle, engine light and overheating!!!

How can one small part cause such a carry on!!??
Thanks given by:
Okay,
Very much later, about 1,000 limped-along and issue-laden miles more and having pulled together some cash to take it to a different garage, there´s news and it´s more complicated than a simple ICU.

I´m told: 1: ICU not working, 2: sensor connected to it also not working, 3: wiring to the ICU assembly not carrying any current.

The aim was to get a part from a scrap car and replace the lot, however the mechanic says that in a week of looking, he hasn´t found a car with the same engine (I´d actually believe him cos they´re all diesels here), so he´s going to 'see what he can do' tomorrow.

Am rather unhappy obviously - particularly as I want to take the (sometimes near-undriveable) car on a 400-mile run this weekend. He says the assembly new is about €120 so am going to ask him to just get the finger out and spend the money if that´s going to solve this.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem?
Thanks given by:
Hi Paul.  It's quite a host of symptoms your car has.  It's really difficult to diagnose via the internet at the best of times but in your case it's near impossible.  The running issues when cold & the overheating might be related if it's an electrical problem that also affects the fans I guess.  Earthing problems can cause all sorts of chaos but I assume they've checked that.

When you say ICU I assume you mean ECU?  If your garage is certain that's the problem and get one from another car they'll need to swap over all the associated immobiliser stuff too (black box behind centre console + transponder in key fob from donor car).
Thanks given by: PaulOH
I get your point Mighty306. The ICU means Idle control unit which is the mechanic´s terminology for the entire ICV, emissions sensor and electrics that he wants to replace.

A clue could be that he tells me today that the ICV they sent him this morning bears no resemblance at all to what´s fitted in the car. He´s telling me that he´ll probably need to buy a part that can only be sourced from Peugeot and will cost the guts of €300.

At this stage, I don´t give a fiddlers if it stops problems not solved at all by the cheapo bodging done on this motor over the last two years.

I pointed out this morning that he might also replace the battery connections as a precaution - he wasn´t aware of that one and I don´t want further nonsense as pointed out by other posters here for different problems.
Thanks given by:
Whether this is any help I don't know, just throwing it in here.

https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread...#pid604284

It's difficult really to give solid answers to your questions but always try to start with the most simple of things first such as leads or connectors. I had ICV / revving problems and it was the battery lead. Not saying it's the same with your car but sometimes it can be something small and simple that causes big problems.
Thanks given by: PaulOH
Thanks to everyone who´s taken the time to read this.

Following the fitting of an expensive new ICV, checks to the pipework, sensors and possible air contamination - and a new positive battery connection, there has been some improvement, but the issues have not gone away and they reckon it´s most likely to be a compression problem related to a worn engine.

I´m told the poor state of the motor is having a knock on effect on the ignition timing, creating the issues with acceleration flat spots, throttle delay, idling problems and heating up - despite a now functioning ICV.

So, I´m looking at a new short motor in the shorter to medium term. It´s a bit dissapointing given that the car is still on 99.5K miles, but then this means that one or both of the two previous owners probably used it for lots of very short, not properly heating up journeys. There is no service history so I can´t say if it was properly minded or not but the result seems to have been a lot of engine wear.

The mechanic thinks it´d be better to try and pick up a replacement engine from an accident-victim or scrapper for about €250-300 rather than opening it up and doing rebuild work, so I suppose that´ll be what eventually happens.

Just shows you that try as you might, some issues just can´t be resolved when the fundamentals are shaky.

Am still taking it on my 400mile run tomorrow so at least we´ll cross over to 100kmiles (fingers crossed). Must check threads for engine-swaps!
Thanks given by:
If they're right that's disappointing for you. Do you know if they compression tested the engine as part of their diagnostics?
Thanks given by:
I haven´t seen the results of a compression test, but he pointed out that there´s blow by at the oil filler cap and the blue smoke when it´s cold is also a bit of a no-brainer.

He showed me how to cut open the breather hose as an emergency measure - I don´t want to muck around with it at all but I´ll pack a small stanley knife in case!

My Dad reminded me earlier of a 7k mile, 12 year old Polo he was interested in many years ago and which puffed more blue smoke than Thomas and his friends and ran like a pig - the moral being that low miles doesn´t always mean cared-for!
Thanks given by:
Hi all,
Car is dead, awaiting funeral.

It reached 100,650miles having begun to randomly idle at up to 2500 or higher (depended a lot on the engine temp) and then would flood, requiring up to an hour´s rest to clear the (stinking) petrol and restart - only to repeat the whole thing again after 5 mins.

When a quick run to the petrol station requires a push, a walk home, a walk back later and then a wait when you get home = sum total of 1.5hours = it´s not worth it. it was also randomly stranding the missus and kids, which is not great PR for a handy family car.

Currently sitting outside the door - Spanish MOT expired on the 28th last month but there´s no point in bringing it back as it´ll fail an emissions test due to the idling and won´t start again when they ask me to switch it off.

There are many period parts on it as it´s in otherwise quite good condition....  seems a terrible waste but when you´re kids won´t get into it because they don´t know when it´ll stop and not start again....

Bought a Passat estate in a rush as a car was needed pronto and it was the right price. Goodbye Peugeot world!!
Thanks given by: