Dum-Dum's China ph3 XUD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dum-Dum's China ph3 XUD
How did you even get near 100 degrees!! I ran this thing for months and never got over 80/85

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
how did you get an HDi to run on veg??
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2017, 06:32 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: how did you get an HDi to run on veg??

It's an xud conversion Smile
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2017, 06:11 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: How did you even get near 100 degrees!! I ran this thing for months and never got over 80/85
As described, one flat out pull up a steep hill in 2nd, 3rd and 4th (it didn't get fast enough to justify changing into 5th).
It's Gore Hill in Amersham aka "Grand Designs Hill". The bit I count is a vertical gain of nearly 200ft over 0.4 of a mile.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/51.663...!3e1?hl=en

(01-05-2017, 06:54 PM)Eeyore Wrote:
(01-05-2017, 06:32 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: how did you get an HDi to run on veg??

As Sam says, mine is XUD converted.
There is a bloke on the Piggy Power group who has a HDi van that he bought for a couple hundred quid and he's run it on mainly veg for thousands of miles though. Who knows if he's just lucky or if most of them really would take it.
Thanks given by:
Been tidying this up a little and as I come yo write a post I realise I haven't taken pictures of most of it.

Bought some rear window switches and now have 1 working rear window. Not investigated why the other doesn't work further. Replaced the shit and too short front wipers with some Bosch ones then adjusted them so they parked a little lower and didn't hit the screen edge. Also used some sheet metal screws to stop the boot plastic rattling.

I bought some Xsara mist jets off ebay. They weren't genuine Peugeot and were utter dog shit.

While I was out the throttle cable snapped where it was clamped to the throttle arm with a bolt rather than using the proper receiver.

Made a temporary repair of this at the road side with a cable tie.

Then replaced the throttle cable which is a ball ache of a job but after cutting the plastic bit off the pedal end to fit it I've araldite'd that back on and used part of a pedal bike brake lever as a cable receiver, it's sitting a little different to the picture but it's working and looks like it's getting full throttle travel again.

I'm currently looking to collect parts for a FMIC set up, fitting my HDi box and 10mm lines and then maybe dropping in a cheeky little turbo upgrade, nothing crazy though. Hopefully get that sorted before I go up to Scotland at the end of the month and get a little bit of fuel economy back as 40mpg is a tad low for my liking even on veg.
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2017, 11:13 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(29-04-2017, 10:21 AM)MY95 Wrote: Nice to see another car on the forum live on (for now haha), what happened to the 406 Coupe Chris? Looked nice.

Do you mean the 406 estate I've just scrapped or the 406 coupe I got rid of 4 years ago?
Got mixed up, thought you had the coupe recently but it was Jonny... must have been a long day lol
Plans sound good for this though Smile
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2017, 07:10 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(01-05-2017, 06:11 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: How did you even get near 100 degrees!! I ran this thing for months and never got over 80/85
As described, one flat out pull up a steep hill in 2nd, 3rd and 4th (it didn't get fast enough to justify changing into 5th).
It's Gore Hill in Amersham aka "Grand Designs Hill". The bit I count is a vertical gain of nearly 200ft over 0.4 of a mile.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/51.663...!3e1?hl=en

(01-05-2017, 06:54 PM)Eeyore Wrote:

As Sam says, mine is XUD converted.
There is a bloke on the Piggy Power group who has a HDi van that he bought for a couple hundred quid and he's run it on mainly veg for thousands of miles though. Who knows if he's just lucky or if most of them really would take it.

I managed to run mine on B100 for about four summers.
stopped when supplies dried up, and had both pumps redone. :/
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Ordered a fucktonne of bits to crack on with fitting next weekend. I'll update that little lot when it's here.

For now I've been playing with a GT2052 off a Merc 220CDi engine. It's gone off for machining with a T2 turbine housing to mate the 2 together. Exhaust wheel is a similar size but there looks like a huge difference in the compressors. Hopefully this will not only give me a little more grunt but the more modern turbo should actually spool quicker and on the Merc they are good for 200bhp so it should be just about right.

After the machine shop I popped over to Costco and renewed my membership then picked up 200l of veg.

All that veg weighed the car down a little, I could really feel it on acceleration but it looks good at that height.

Thanks given by:
Sneaky idea with the turbo.
I like it, hope it works out well. If it does, it'll be copied everywhere before you know it. :-)
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2017, 07:39 PM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: Sneaky idea with the turbo.
I like it,  hope it works out well. If it does, it'll be copied everywhere before you know it. :-)

Yeah if it works I reckon it'll be massively copied. It probably works out cheaper than fitting a TD04. How much exactly I'll see once I've paid for the machining.
Thanks given by:
So much veg! So does costco membership cost?
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2017, 08:16 PM)Eeyore Wrote: So much veg! So does costco membership cost?
Yeah about £30 for the year.
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2017, 08:35 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(19-05-2017, 08:16 PM)Eeyore Wrote: So much veg! So does costco membership cost?

ah so its paid for itself after about 100L
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2017, 08:44 PM)Eeyore Wrote:

Yeah there's other things I buy from there so the veg is just a bonus
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2017, 09:01 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:

didnt realise they sold butt plugs... especially in bulk!
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2017, 09:06 PM)Eeyore Wrote:
(19-05-2017, 09:01 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:

didnt realise they sold butt plugs... especially in bulk!

Well now you know I'm sure you'll be their biggest customer Wink
Thanks given by:
So a couple of weeks ago I took the car apart to fit an xantia inlet, hdi box, new clutch, hybrid turbo and some other bits. Alas the machine shop didn't get my turbo done in time and I ran out of time to fit the FMIC so the pipe is just looped but heres the update.

I had a massive stack of parts.

It was bloody sunny so I made some shade out of an old duvet cover.

It didn't take long to get it ready to hook the engine out.

HDi box and valeo clutch were easy.

I painted a rocker cover gold and fitted the xantia inlet.

I fitted 10mm fuel lines.

I added thicker starter and alternator cables (this is one of the best cheap mods you can do to a 306 diesel)

I fitted a smaller washer bottle so I could run a boost pipe through the space the bottle used to reside

And I re plumbed the boost gauge with poly pipe as I was sure I could hear the silicone leaking boost.

Hopefully Sunday/Monday/Tuesday the weather is nice as I'm off work so I can go and pick up the turbo and finish fitting the FMIC.
Thanks given by:
Such a win update, cant wait to see more on this Chris, hope it goes well for you!
Where did you get the thicker starter/alternator cables? Do they make it a lot easier/quicker to start the car im guessing?
Thanks given by:
Good progress Chris. Will this be making it to any shows apart from COTG?
Thanks given by:
Nice.
Not many 306 XUD projects happening anymore.
Interested to see the finished turbo.

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
(07-06-2017, 08:05 AM)MY95 Wrote: Such a win update, cant wait to see more on this Chris, hope it goes well for you!
Where did you get the thicker starter/alternator cables? Do they make it a lot easier/quicker to start the car im guessing?

The cables are halfords ones and I also replaced the quick release battery terminal. They make starting a reasonable bit easier but you really need to add an extra earth or two. And that might have been a win update but this is winninger, 2 C5 steels for £19.90 (yes, under £20) and picked up from somewhere 2 miles of my route home from my parents so no hassle at all either.

(07-06-2017, 08:05 AM)Eeyore Wrote: Good progress Chris. Will this be making it to any shows apart from COTG?
Yes, pugfest and FCS dude hopefully

(07-06-2017, 09:25 AM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: Nice.
Not many 306 XUD projects happening anymore.
Interested to see the finished turbo.
Cheers mate, might well pick the turbo up tomorrow morning so pics then. Need an outlet elbow for the T2 housing., there is one on ebay at the moment but it's horrendously overpriced.
Thanks given by: MY95
I may have one here mate. It's certainly a 306 exhaust elbow, not K14. I did have a couple of t2s and I reckon it's from one.
Yours if you want it, no dosh. Diplomatic immunity would be nice if you can sort it though.

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
(07-06-2017, 09:41 PM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: I may have one here mate.  It's certainly a 306 exhaust elbow, not K14. I did have a couple of t2s and I reckon it's from one.
Yours if you want it, no dosh. Diplomatic immunity would be nice if you can sort it though.

Sadly I can't sort out any sort of immunity but I would love a free turbo outlet.

Today I finished my FMIC install.
I had no sharp drill bits so fired up the welder and made the usual mess of welding however the brackets are very sturdy.

All fitted and piped up

Bumper drilled for what it's worth (will look better with lows and a clean car)

And the car looking very pretty considering how dirty it is.

I've taken it out for a test drive, it's 5psi down at peak but definitely faster and oddly feels smoother too. Feels like it always should have done. After a not particularly hard drive the inlet to the FMIC was 34*C and the outlet was 22*C (ambient temp actually). I think it's slightly oversized for the current state of tune but it looks good behind the bumper and will take future upgrades.
Thanks given by:
I read 'I had no sharp drill bits so fired up the welder' and immediately assumed you'd used the welder to make some holes! Cooler looks good behind the bumper.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(13-06-2017, 08:31 PM)Ben Wrote: I read 'I had no sharp drill bits so fired up the welder' and immediately assumed you'd used the welder to make some holes! Cooler looks good behind the bumper.

Haha cheers mate. I have seen others torch holes in stuff when drilling wasn't working and it did cross my mind but it was far less work just to weld the brackets on as they don't need to be removable.
Thanks given by:
Car made it to Pugfest, only issue was the boot lock gave up on unlocking on the morning of pugfest and I didn't have time to look at it. Was a right pain in the arse trying to load the BBQ and camping stuff into the boot through the back seats.

She looked pretty good at Pugfest though and I saw various people having a nose under the bonnet which put a smile on my face. Managed 6 hill runs without issue and even on cheap tyres managed 2 runs out of my 6 at 60 seconds, just 2 seconds off my rallye.

Back home today I went to the scrap yard and found a new boot lock solenoid and while I was there pulled off a 406 knob, got both for a fiver and fitted them in the car park so I'm now fully functional.

The car will be with me till after FCS when it'll be properly up for sale to be replaced with another Scooby WRX.
Thanks given by:
Looking good.
How is the gt20 going?
Still got an elbow here for you.

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
(04-07-2017, 08:26 PM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: Looking good.
How is the gt20 going?
Still got an elbow here for you.
GT2052 still not on, It's a 2 day job and I just CBA to spend that much time when I know I'm selling in a month or so.
Thanks given by: