reducing warm up time and increacing cold day running temp

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reducing warm up time and increacing cold day running temp
ok so it started driving my van with a dw10td in it when we had the beast from the east the engine temp did not get past 50c, now i've got another 306 driving up to huddersfield when it was -1 it would not get past 70c.

so i got out some card bord bloked about 80% of the rad and drove 3hours on the motorways and a roads with out problems and no over heating.

it has also had the effect of reducing warm up time substantially to within a minute or two of driving day to day.

i know that darren is running a smaller rad but is anyone else  and what are the effects

i think this is going to be a long term experiments
Thanks given by:
Could your thermostat be sticking open? From what I've seen the dash readout is not what the ECU is actually reading. Just for a comparison my 306 doesn't go past 70odd driving at 'motorway' speeds ever.
Thanks given by:
its been a simler exsperence acros three vehicles all but the current one have had it all throne at them, so two have had new thermostats and coolent flushes and there was no change
Thanks given by:
do the coolant pre-heaters work?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Always wondered this, as my car always sits around 80oc on the gauge, whereas Frosty’s HDI’s sit around 70. Always thought these were meant to sit around 80.
Thanks given by:
yeah, ours sits about 80 degrees when warm, still gotta fix the cooling system pre heaters......dam shitron taking all my time away. If it doesnt behave its gunna have a vikings funeral!
Thanks given by:
These engines are massively over-cooled as standard, you'll be fine using a smaller rad so long as you keep your rad fans in working order. I've used a 1.8td fiesta rad as the ports are in a similar position to the standard one.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I’ve always found the 306 hdi coolant temperature gauge under reads.

What looks like 70-75 on the gauge was more like 80 on the digital reading on my scangauge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
If you're covering up the radiator and it's helping the warmup period, your thermostat is broken. Usually the slow warm up is because people turn on the heaters on full and the fan on full which is enough to cool the entire engine as they don't put out much heat, hence the coolant heater plugs.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reducing Smoke? JTaylor2005 4 2,487 07-04-2020, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Ruan
  Warm Weather? JTaylor2005 4 1,804 23-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  Intake temp and Exhaust temp sensors? JTaylor2005 5 2,382 26-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005