Using an alternator from a petrol?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using an alternator from a petrol?
Has anyone fitted an alternator from a petrol 306 (XU10 or XU7, including other Peugeot/Citroen vehicles) to an XUD? - providing they are the same shape of course, which it looks to be the same as the one currently on my XUD. I've got the chance of getting a new one for a very reasonable price, so thought I'd look into it before getting a used one from a diesel.

I've looked on Peugeot Servicebox and the part numbers of mine vs the petrol alternator don't cross reference, however, different petrol/diesel ones do cross reference on some websites. On the Lucas online catalogue the 2 part numbers do end up linking up through "alternative products", although suggests that the pulley size is different which is why it is not a "direct alternative". The dimensions that they show are the same between the 2 alternators - unless they overlook other dimensions which could differ, such as the angle between the mounting points? So would a difference in pulley size be much of an issue? Or could the pulley be swapped with the existing one?  

(Background - A few days after changing the battery which was getting weak in the cold, the battery light was staying on even with the key removed, then a week later, the battery light came on whilst driving, yet the light now goes out when the ignition is turned off. Using a multi-meter, it only charges at 14V when revved, so pretty sure the alternator is at fault) 

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Pulley size will almost certainly be different, easily changed though. It's highly likely they have the same physical mounting, just make sure they are the same amp. Can you not just send it back if it's wrong?
Thanks given by:
Thanks, good to hear the pulley would be easily changed, and it looked like the same mounting from what I could see, so hopefully I haven't missed anything. Probably could, was just trying to save the hassle if it was wrong and then having to wait longer to get the correct one.
Thanks given by:
Half a chance it's opposite thread!
Thanks given by: