total intermittent electrical failure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
total intermittent electrical failure
hi

i have an intermittent electrical failure where all body electrics ether flash or stop working, if any one can shine some light on the fault that would be nice.

where are all the plugs for the harness conections that need to be cheked?

are there any spots i should to check for rubbing or conections that go bad?
Thanks given by:
I'm still a tyro on these cars but learning because of this great forum, cheers guys. I would be well and truly up the cyber without this place.

Check the main earth lead from the battery to the gearbox. At the gearbox end, the earth to body lead is in tandem with the thicker main starter earth lead.

That would be my starting point, as it is the main body earth start point.

I did the mod seen on here where there is an extra body earth lead from battery negative to one of the close strut bolts. Belt and braces.

Worked for your car as very little electrical problems since, but I did every earth point as well. Look for the green/yellow? wires bolted to the body, 3 from memory on battery side chassis rail and 2? on ps side chassis rail, one being quite difficult to get to.

Again from memory, one on the drivers side footwell kick panel, and one that I just have not found yet on the passenger side.

There are others so see the earth point diagram

There is a body earth point diagram on here somewhere.

An other possible area is the round plug/socket connections by the front side rails to do with fans and main engine loom I think, from lying under the car and memory, on the l/h/side? but may have been the r/h/side.

Look in electrical problem threads and have a note book handy to make notes for your reference, works for me.

Hope this helps.

ps, Is the area under the wiper motor flooded with water?? Drain blocked due to leaves as its autumn now, there is a large thru bulkhead connection there which may be at risk due to area flooding.

306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum › 306 Repairs & Mods › Guides v

Ph2 and 3 Wiring Diagrams

lots of great stuff in here and this whole section, gold mine, scroll, look, copy, save and print out to make your won hard copy reference/workshop book, but still look at similar/interesting threads with a note book handy.
Thanks given by:
just to update this seems to be a feed problem not an earth
Thanks given by:
Any fault codes? May be worth giving fuses a wiggle and see if there is a loose connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
why would there be falut code for a complete electrical failure of the entire car
Thanks given by:
(12-11-2016, 10:46 PM)madmadmax Wrote: why would there be falut code for a complete electrical failure of the entire car

Similar thing happened to my car and there was a fault code for a supply relay. I took the multi function unit out and gave it a good clean with electrical cleaner and hasn't happened since but this could be a coincidence.

Have you checked battery terminals? My old fiat coupe cut out on me (complete electrical failure) and it was a loose battery terminal.

Thanks given by:
the engine has never stoped or had lack of power but the headlights have
Thanks given by:
Earth return, via body, so is the body well earthed, did you actually check the body earth from the starter earth on   the gearbox ? not to mention all the individual earth points on the body, like the one for the headlights, they will have one somewhere.

Do all the earths to rule that/them out first, as well as the simple mod of an extra heavy earth from battery to top suspension bolt,  a good starting point, else its gunna be hours and hours of hair pulling etc, be methodical.

You have a multi meter and wiring diagrams ?

Do the earths first.
Thanks given by:
earths are done, did them befor postiong. i'm a mecanic by trade so have most of it at my finger tips. i can't see it being an individuel earth unless the raido,clock, rearlights and hedlights go trought the same individual one

also any body got a pin out for the big bulk head conector
Thanks given by:
BSI?

Thanks given by:
that would caust the imobiliser to trigger and cut the engine
Thanks given by:
What year and engine is it?

Thanks given by:
posibel fix switched the electrics on the ignition barrel and now have battrey and oil lights perminantley on and a croded pin down on the rad connecters

its a hdi with a build date of 11/10/2000

have cleaned the pin and no change so where to next
Thanks given by:
I'm not sure mate! Sounds like strange one, might be worth studying a wiring diagram, maybe highlight everything your losing power to and see if they share a feed/earth.

Thanks given by:
the common point is the ignition switch. the battrey light and oil light was that i had not done up the engine ground after checking it so may well be fixed but will update if its not
Thanks given by:
(12-11-2016, 09:02 PM)bilboaustin Wrote: quaisquer códigos de avaria? Pode valer a pena dar uma fusíveis de manobra e ver se há uma conexão solta.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

amigo veja os aterramentos
abraços.
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2016, 05:43 PM)alexlotti Wrote:
(12-11-2016, 09:02 PM)bilboaustin Wrote: quaisquer códigos de avaria? Pode valer a pena dar uma fusíveis de manobra e ver se há uma conexão solta.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

amigo veja os aterramentos
abraços.

Que não faz sentido quando se usa o google translate
that doesn't make sense when using google translate
Thanks given by:
this was a compound of problems of a knackered engine loom, ignition switch and light switch
Thanks given by:
Glad to hear you got it fixed!

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electrical woes bashbarnard 13 2,897 06-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Electrical help!!! Pompey306mark 7 1,964 16-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Pompey306mark
Rainbow I got a electrical problem tomosy10 9 2,402 19-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Razorback_Rob