Frosty's astor GTi6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frosty's astor GTi6
I had been thinking about getting a gti6 for a while as i can see them holding their value the best for a 306 along with the rallyes. Keeping looking on ebay etc but you just can't seem to pick a gti6 up cheap like sub £500 from what i've seen. So i had kind of given up on the idea but then one popped up on facebook. I saw it but didn't really have any intention of buying it as it seemed he want to much for it IMO but it being in astor which is prob my favourite 306 colour i was always tempted. He then started to drop the price and was getting a bit nearer what i would pay. I messaged him and we come up with a deal. I went to look at it Thursday night, all seemed ok for what it is and picked it up Friday night. Bit of a bonus it was only over the hill at wellington about 15 mins away from me.

So the car, a lot of you will prob recognise it as its Sam's old one. Link for his project thread http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?...ight=astor (Though this car is only in the last few pages)

[Image: IMG_76851_zpsrucnxcc8.jpg]

Basically it had run out of mot and matey had lost the love for it. It's been parked up for a good few months. Its pretty much the same as Sam sold it i think bar a lot of stickers etc. Few digs etc on the body work, someone hit the driver side wing, passenger side skirt cracked and the chaps dad had hit the rear bumper with his tow bar. That's the main bits but overall it's pretty tidy for a 306.

First thing to do to it was give it a good wash to clean all the crap off it from it being parked up.

[Image: IMG_76871_zps7mdnzg4e.jpg]

And a few more pics

[Image: IMG_76881_zpsxkx5bzb6.jpg]

[Image: IMG_76901_zpsvgw0cvl6.jpg]

[Image: IMG_76911_zps1uik508e.jpg]

[Image: IMG_76921_zpskpcrqbz5.jpg]

[Image: IMG_76931_zpslo3485n8.jpg]

Its going to a long term project due to money mainly but the plan it to put it mostly back to standard and a prob good tidy up. Ill try and have a good look over it this week and see what it needs.
Thanks given by:
Eugh its so nice! Saw it on insta
Thanks given by:
Looks in relatively tidy condition from the pics, get rid of the stickers though!

I like the plan to return it to close to standard, they're getting hard to come by now so I'm sure it'll be a worthy investment...
[Image: New%20GTi6%20Filmstrip%20sig2_zpsu8ocrldg.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Saw it on fb as well and was considering it for a daily.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
nice one for buying it dude! it was areal nice example when sam had it and I'm sure you'll have it in mint condition again in no time Smile

its about time you had a 306 running on the proper fuel again Wink
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Congrats, that's a good looking car! I really miss my astor...

Looking forward to seeing some updates on this.
Thanks given by:
(30-10-2016, 05:50 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Eugh its so nice! Saw it on insta

Cheers bud

(30-10-2016, 06:01 PM)MCH Wrote: Looks in relatively tidy condition from the pics, get rid of the stickers though!

I like the plan to return it to close to standard, they're getting hard to come by now so I'm sure it'll be a worthy investment...

Cheers yeah pretty much all stickers will be removed, especially the PEG ones Smile

Seems that i will be doing pretty much the same as you are with the rallye you just got with the cleaning up the underside etc. I would like to think it will go up in value a bit, i will certainly not lose any money on what i paid for it i would like to think.

(30-10-2016, 06:29 PM)RetroPug Wrote: Saw it on fb as well and was considering it for a daily.

Yeah i think matey said he had a lot of interest when in was on fb. Handy it was so close to me.

(30-10-2016, 07:07 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: nice one for buying it dude! it was areal nice example when sam had it and I'm sure you'll have it in mint condition again in no time Smile

its about time you had a 306 running on the proper fuel again Wink

Yeah hopefully i will get it back to a tidy example, just hard to find body parts in astor.

Haha i'm not so sure about the fuel, lucky i got the other cars to put the derv in.

(30-10-2016, 08:41 PM)reese Wrote: Congrats, that's a good looking car! I really miss my astor...

Looking forward to seeing some updates on this.

Cheers yeah the colour was the main reason i bought it. Hopefully i will keep the updates and pics coming.
Thanks given by:
Nice purchase Matt, Must admit i saw this for sale and thought it would be good company for my Astor in the shed as future investment, Looks like a good car, glad you bought to save me getting any more tempted!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Looks like a good investment and hopefully its not too much to put right Smile

Whats the underneath like?
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
its got pug performance on it, have you checked the rear arches n sills
Thanks given by:
Thats gorgeous! Nice buy fella

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Still Living For The 306  Rofl

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
205 1.9 GTI (Rust.In.Pieces)
306 HDI Stage 3 Estate (Rust.In.Pieces)
Thanks given by:
(31-10-2016, 10:22 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Nice purchase Matt, Must admit i saw this for sale and thought it would be good company for my Astor in the shed as future investment, Looks like a good car, glad you bought to save me getting any more tempted!

Cheers Darren, haha yeah i reckon a lot of people were tempted by it but i raided my bank first Smile

(31-10-2016, 10:45 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Looks like a good investment and hopefully its not too much to put right Smile

Whats the underneath like?

Yeah hopefully it will be. Ill update tomorrow with some more info on the underside.

(31-10-2016, 04:44 PM)fatlapit Wrote: its got pug performance on it, have you checked the rear arches n sills

Whats wrong with pug performance?

(31-10-2016, 07:04 PM)dr_jekyll Wrote: Thats gorgeous! Nice buy fella

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Cheers bud
Thanks given by:

(31-10-2016, 04:44 PM)fatlapit Wrote: its got pug performance on it, have you checked the rear arches n sills

Whats wrong with pug performance?

Nothing he has an opinion about everyone and everything
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
Bit more of an update then, from having a proper look over the car last night there is a few decent bits on the car. A list of the shiney parts as i can see is:
Avo front coilovers with baker BM top mounts
Some sort of adjustable anti roll bar links
Spax rear shocks
Decat and mongoose exhaust i think it is
baker BM gear linkages
baker BM oil breather hose kit
OMP dish steering wheel
Alpine front speakers and uprated rear speakers
Lower strut brace (thinks its an OMP one)
Team dynamic pro race 1.2s
Mtech grooved discs and pads all round
Rallye blanks

Think that's about it, sadly the passenger side coilover is pretty knackered and the rear shocks look like they have seen better days. Most of the rest of it seems reasonable. Wheels are pretty tidy bar a couple of marks but front tyres are bold.

So i had it on the ramp for a good look over to see what's it's like, not that greater news sadly. It's going to need a bit of work. First bit i saw was inside the drivers side front arch by the screen wash bottle neck looked a bit crusty.

[Image: IMG_77161_zpsyak6upv1.jpg]

And from underneath

[Image: IMG_77141_zpsweovtjby.jpg]

Will need a bit of repairing but will have a proper look when i get everything out the away. Can't think i have seen a 306 go there before though but this one has got knacker front arch liners that couldn't be helping.

Next area that will need attention is inside the passenger side wheel arch, pretty sure its right in front of the dash.

[Image: IMG_77061_zpspnomipwo.jpg]

[Image: IMG_77071_zps755z9gcx.jpg]

This will certainly be a dash out job to sort i reckon. Other than them to bits it isn't too bad underneath. There a few bits that need cleaning and treating etc now before they get bad.

[Image: IMG_77121_zpsx7fdciav.jpg]

[Image: IMG_77131_zpsvbkfcwxm.jpg]

Both front chassis legs are pretty good as well which seems to be the common places these are now starting to go

[Image: IMG_77111_zpsoemejn14.jpg]

[Image: IMG_77101_zpsvbyg2dhu.jpg]

Only a few other bits that i found that concern me are where the bottom rad pipe goes into the rad is leaking even after someone's attempt to fix it

[Image: IMG_77091_zpszngof4gf.jpg]

And just bits like the ABS sensors on the front are the wrong way around the struts and have been rubbing against things. Basically there a few little bits and bobs that need doing.

It will be getting a proper good going through now though. The engine will be coming out to clean up and clean and tidy up the engine bay. Dash will be coming out to sort out that welding that's needed in the passenger front arch. I do need to take the rear arch liners out to check on the condition in there as well.

Progress will be slow but i will try and sort out any bits that don't cost anything/very much for the time being to try and keep it ticking along.

Thanks for reading, comments and feedback welcome Smile
Thanks given by:
Same boat as im in currently dude Smile non of that looks un-doable so get cracking and keep at it little bits at a time Big Grin

Kudos on saving one Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Sadly it seems to be the case with most 306's now with rust starting in previously unproblematic places, guess its just that the cars are old enough now for the rot to start taking ahold if it isn't caught early.

Im so glad I spent the time to strip and re-protect my 6, theres still a couple of bits in the engine bay that will need attention this winter though
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Nice car, bet your chuffed to get one in that colour! *Vulture moment* If you do start to put it back to standard let me know, I'd be interested in the wheels Smile
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(02-11-2016, 08:00 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Same boat as im in currently dude Smile non of that looks un-doable so get cracking and keep at it little bits at a time Big Grin

Kudos on saving one Smile

Yeah looks that way, will all get sorted. Will just take my time over it and get it all done properly.

(02-11-2016, 07:31 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: Sadly it seems to be the case with most 306's now with rust starting in previously unproblematic places, guess its just that the cars are old enough now for the rot to start taking ahold if it isn't caught early.

Im so glad I spent the time to strip and re-protect my 6, theres still a couple of bits in the engine bay that will need attention this winter though

Yeah certainly seems to be the way, once you get having a proper look underneath most 306s you'll find some rust.

(02-11-2016, 11:05 PM)Ben Wrote: Nice car, bet your chuffed to get one in that colour! *Vulture moment* If you do start to put it back to standard let me know, I'd be interested in the wheels Smile

Cheers yeah defo the colour was probably the main factor in buying the car. Will bear it in mind about the wheels, I'm thinking about see how they look on my estate but they are a few quids worth so depends if i could make better use of the money elsewhere.
Thanks given by:
Sorry for the thread revival, but I got to say this is one car I regret selling [emoji20] I had the chanse to get it back but rob didn’t want to swap for my 300hp mk4 golf [emoji848] glad it’s still here would love to see her again she was mint when I had her!! Is sad to here that it wasn’t looked after once I had sold her. Glad it’s with another member now [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
now he's finished his estates hopefully will see some action on this one!
Thanks given by:
Sorry for the late response Sam. Shame to say this car certainly hadn't been that well looked after from what i can see. I was very much in two minds whether to break/sell it or fix it up. I'm glad to say i am going to fix it up, it will be a fair bit of work and take a while but i will do it and give it a prob good going through. These seem to be slowly going up in value a bit and it doesn't owe me too much.

Since i got the car (about 18 months ago) i have just slowly been picking up bits for it here and there. Especially body panels as they are hard to come by in astor grey. Hopefully i'll be updating this a bit more often in the near future.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frosty's Ph1 Black D Turbo now with VNT Frosty 626 270,045 22-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  Frosty's S16 6 speed Frosty 244 93,019 04-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Frosty
  Sean's (& Ed's & Scott's) Astor GTi6 Ed Doe 807 351,273 27-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Poodle