clutch cable routing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
clutch cable routing
Hi folks,

had to replace my clutch cable the other day. Eventually managed it after alot of swearing, and it works fine, however I now have vibration through the clutch pedal and a bit through the steering too. I think the issue is the cable is touching something. Only contact I can see is that after the cable leaves the bulkhead it is touching the turbo inlet pipe. Anyone got any good tips on routing of the cable?  There doesn't seem to be anywhere to clip it to except on the bottom at the subframe where the adjuster part clips in. The vibration is driving me mad. Foot is tinging after a long drive!  Also the pedal now sits a bit higher up which is annoying as you can't really slide your foot onto the pedal from the foot rest now!

I thought there would be clips to lead the cable down from the box etc, it sits quite close to the driveshafts!  But there are no clips anywhere on my car.

Cheers
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2016, 11:43 PM)carlukepeugeot Wrote: Hi folks,

had to replace my clutch cable the other day. Eventually managed it after alot of swearing, and it works fine, however I now have vibration through the clutch pedal and a bit through the steering too. I think the issue is the cable is touching something. Only contact I can see is that after the cable leaves the bulkhead it is touching the turbo inlet pipe. Anyone got any good tips on routing of the cable?  There doesn't seem to be anywhere to clip it to except on the bottom at the subframe where the adjuster part clips in. The vibration is driving me mad. Foot is tinging after a long drive!  Also the pedal now sits a bit higher up which is annoying as you can't really slide your foot onto the pedal from the foot rest now!

I thought there would be clips to lead the cable down from the box etc, it sits quite close to the driveshafts!  But there are no clips anywhere on my car.

Cheers

Pretty sure it's clutch cable touching turbo inlet arm, went out this morning and added some cable ties to hold it closer to the subframe as it runs up to the bulkhead, which created a small gap between the cable and turbo. Started it up and no vibration, however when you drive the car it comes back again when accelerating at all - so I guess the engine moves back and it touches again. Need to improve the securing and of course finally get round to replacing the knackered bottom stabiliser bush which should help with engine movement, which I already know is excessive anyway (exhaust clunks off gear change when starting up etc).

Really crap routing of the cable by peugeot though have to say!
Thanks given by:
Ive NEVER had this issue on cable replacement and ive done my fair share on my motors and others. It cant really cause vibration as if the engine is sitting where it should be there is no where it should hit. Are you sure your top and bottom engine mounts are ok??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Hmm. The bottom mount is in need of replacement, but it's there and not compressed in any strange way indicating the engine being at an angle or anything and the other mounts are OK. Where the cable leaves the bulkhead is directly adjacent to the where the big pipe from the intercooler goes onto the turbo, and since the cable exits the bulkhead pretty straight, it then needs to make an almost 90 degree bend downwards towards the adjuster on the subframe. I can't see any other way it can go, or for that matter how you can avoid it being close to the turbo - the cable as a whole is fairly stiff so makes an arc as it changes direction, thus passes close by the turbo. There is only about a finger width gap between cable and turbo pipe.

The only way I could imagine it having a big clearance would be if the grommet and cover were not pulled into the hole in the bulkhead, I spent a fair bit of time getting it to go in that hole, and I can feel that it is in correctly.

Are you saying that in your experience the cable passes nowhere near the turbo? I can't see how that's possible as the bulkhead exit of the cable is right opposite the turbo ?

Thanks
Craig
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2016, 02:05 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Ive NEVER had this issue on cable replacement and ive done my fair share on my motors and others. It cant really cause vibration as if the engine is sitting where it should be there is no where it should hit. Are you sure your top and bottom engine mounts are ok??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've sorted it. Had a look online to try to find some pics showing how the cable enters the bulkhead, found one from darren's green beast, and saw that it comes out at an angle, which made me realise it should not be coming out as straight as it was on my car. Only thing that could cause that is if there is 'too much cable' in the run from the adjuster to the bulkhead, and so creating an arc from the excess cable. I moved the adjuster over towards the passenger side a bit more, and that changed the angle of the run from the bulkhead so it now clears the turbo better, vibration gone.

The pedal is still a bit higher than it was on the last cable, but I think I have some dead travel in the pedal before the clutch arm moves (I will check this very carefully....) so I might replace the little plastic 'stop' that the pedal hits on the pedal box, with an adjustable stop to get a more comfy position. Just need to be very careful not to end up riding the release bearing. Anyone know if there is any 'lead in' as the arm moves before it starts to push the release bearing?  Or is it the case that as soon as the arm moves, it's pressing on the bearing ?

Cheers
Craig
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New clutch cable needed jcsh 3 1,794 11-02-2021, 05:01 PM
Last Post: ekjdm14
  Citroen ZX 1.9 TD Clutch Cable drew 0 1,414 17-05-2019, 12:58 PM
Last Post: drew
  Manually adjusting clutch cable for xud bashbarnard 21 5,714 21-03-2016, 04:26 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard