Rear beam mounts!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear beam mounts!
I was thinking of doin my rear beam mounts(all 4)

How easy is it to do?

What parts have to be disconnected (ie.all brake lines??)

Comments Please
Thanks given by:
We did it with our taking brake lines apart. Fairly easy but we had a pit to work in. I recommend the solid ones though.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Get a jack under the beam and 2 axle stands. Undo the bolts and lower the beam down to the axle stands without bending brake lines.
[Image: Signature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yep as said can be done with out damaging the brake lines!!!

One of the front pair is harder to do than the rest but even on a drive way with jacks and axle stands it shouldnt take more than a couple of hours to complete
Thanks given by:
Which ones are better for daily driving:

Solid mounts or Standard Mounts?
Thanks given by:
Sold last forever and are now to slightly improve handling. When it comes to driving there's no difference at all.
You can buy custome solid ones for around the same price as rubber.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Solid ones cause clonks from the rear end IIRC. They eliminate the passive rear steer, which makes them maginally less eager to turn-in, but less likely to oversteer suddenly.

Some people swear by them, some people who have tried them binned em after a few hundred miles in favour of new OEM ones. It's all up to personal preference. I wouldn't put solids in as I like how the OEM ones work.

I'll be taking a set off my '6 this weekend, if they're in good nick you're welcome to em... see my breaking thread Smile
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
(16-05-2012, 07:38 AM)swampy Wrote: Yep as said can be done with out damaging the brake lines!!!

One of the front pair is harder to do than the rest but even on a drive way with jacks and axle stands it shouldnt take more than a couple of hours to complete

If I do this do I need another pair of axle stands for support via the sills ?
Thanks given by:
Yes you will.need at least 4 stands ideally
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Holy thread revival batman!

Anyone got a guide for this? I'm replacing all my beam mounts soon and was hoping to get some tips. I currently only have access to one pair of axle stands and 2 (maybe 3) jacks. Do I need to buy another pair of axle stands ideally?
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Best tip I could give is the two bolts that hold the front mount on, do not fully remove the lower bolt! Just pull it half way out, the top one does need to come all the way out.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Will it become obvious when I look which you mean by the 'front mount lower bolt'?
Thanks given by:
Yeah under the mount there will be two big bolts. If you pull the bottom one all the way out it pulls everything out of line and can become a pain to get it back in again without having to unbolt the dampers.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
go look in my 6 project thread there is a guide in there
this week i changed the mounts on the estate in around 1.5 hours but nothing was siezed Wink
Thanks given by:
Cool, cheers cully! I'm hoping mine will be similar, I've not come across anything that's been particularly seized so far, guess its because its a late model.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear beam ...the good and the bad Mighty306 35 14,967 23-07-2020, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Rear Beam Pgtips 1 1,332 26-06-2020, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Rear beam rebuild MOK 21 6,418 18-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Last Post: MOK