24 to 75 in 10 seconds

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
24 to 75 in 10 seconds
I bought a daily Rover 7...MG ZT. 135 CDTi so no K series here, just a solid BMW M47r 

Paid less than 500 for it with mot to June and has a tow bar so can be used for towing the ZR to track events.

Car is...rough. Around all the edges and places where there are no edges but that's not to be surprised as it's a Rover..Mg...bmw..whatever.

So far on the list of fixed/fixing:

Cruise control - clutch pedal sensor had come loose, pushed back in and bang! cruise is working.
Flat as a fart under 2.5k - Duff maf sensor, disconnected and we have power.
Not geting up to temp - Thermostat on these stick open so have bought an inline one as the stock one is a 2-3 hour job to replace apparently 
Rear tyre spending more time deflated than inflated - Tyre weld lol and new tyre ordered
Rubbing/knocking from front - Possibly lower arm although it was apparently changed recently but with a ebay special part no doubt. Having suspension place check it out for me.
EGR valve - full of crap (no surprise there) but its right in the path of the inlet manifold so will be cleaning it out to try and get some boost back
Intercooler - O rings perish and loose boost, upgraded ones ready to fit.
Scratches and chips - Big bottle of geen tcut and scratch repair pen to try and get it looking somewhat presentable again. 
Washer jets - not working, removed pump and cleaned off the slime on the filter and pump line. 

So yes its rough but comfy to drive . Driving position is nice and will be great for long journeys with the cruise control and storage capacity. Just think of it as a e46 but fat and fwd ... Rofl

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
can i have a go? Tongue
Thanks given by:
Nice

map straight up to 160/70 ish too

egr delete a piece of cake

take ages to get up to temp if at all - does it have the pre-heater? Thinking not if its a later model with all of the rover cost cutting that happened...

luxury barge really, great for the 'distance' with added cruise.
Thanks given by:
Heard nothing but praise for these, and for £500 with a long MOT - even if there are a few issues that need addressing - you can't really go too far wrong in my eyes.

It looks respectable enough in the photos... are they distinctly flattering or are you being overly harsh with the rough comments?
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
People are more than welcome to drive the barge lol
Would help if it was close to its 135 starting value, right now a stock hdi would probably be a match
Think it does have the preheater still it's just the thermostat was designed to fail open, and they fail like k series headgaskets so it's just always open.
Egr delete is simple just tight on cash this month so will stick to cleaning for now

Can't go far wrong indeed, drive to work is much nicer than zr with the crazy gaz coilovers.
Photos are very flattering, for example in the photos it has a hint if blue bit in reality it's just green

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
These rover 75s were voted the best towing cars by camping and caravanning club. These were also the second rover that to mgf/tf to hold the value. Also the last decent rover that was made, and I don't mean the "MG" version.
They were known to be cheap jags, they are very lux and nice to drive.
The derv units can give the vvc engine a fuckin good run for its money if they are remapped.
I will PM you a link that I found for these cars funny enough, just for spares etc.
Are you going to decide to strip the posh rover and use it as a track car?
Thanks given by:
Arent these rovers based on the e36 bmw? Same floorpan? If so be easy to rwd with tunnel there for shits and giggles..

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
FWD or RWD?
Thanks given by:
(06-10-2016, 10:43 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: FWD or RWD?

these are FWD, the V8 ones are rear wheel.
Thanks given by:
(06-10-2016, 05:20 PM)procta Wrote: .....
Are you going to decide to strip the posh rover and use it as a track car?
Cheers for link, already ordered from DMGRS as he had the inline thermostat kit. Not the cheapest supplier out there though but people seem to rate him well enough.

ZR is getting stripped down and tidied up as it no longer needs to be the 'do everything' car. So can spend the winter working on it in the garage ready to take on a certain poverty spec '6

(06-10-2016, 06:46 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Arent these rovers based on the e36 bmw? Same floorpan? If so be easy to rwd with tunnel there for shits and giggles..

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

e36 or 46, think it might be 46 as they came out about the same time. RWDing this would be funny but not in the pipeline, just needs to get me to work and back.

(06-10-2016, 10:43 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: FWD or RWD?
FWD but that was part of my buying decision. Was looking at a 320d but winter is coming and the drive to work is up/down a steep rural hill so an inexperienced rwdriver in the snow is asking for trouble.

Thanks given by:
Egr delete may throw a fault depending if its Euro 3 or 4, best thing to do imho is snip the vac hose going to it and whack a bolt in either side, egr delete done and if it does throw a fault, easily reversible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by: