205 clutch problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
205 clutch problems
If anyone's able to help, would be great. 

Basically, went to put the car under its own steam and gears were only engaging when the engine was wasnt running.

It's as if the clutch isn't engaging. 

So I set up a camera above the cable and the arm is being pulled.

So I chucked a spacer  (exhaust spacer) in the cable, pedal wasn't tighter but still no gears engaging.

As I was trying this, pedal went dead and cable snapped.

Any ideas to the initial issue with clutch no engaging? 

It's on a 205 DT gearbox and clutch setup

Any help would be great
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
You running the exact same clutch setup that was on the car when you got it?

Does sound like you will prob have to drop the box off to see what's going on im afraid.
Thanks given by:
has it been sat for a while?

probably clutch plate stuck to a rusty flywheel
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
I cant see why you would of needed a spacer in the cable. You've only effectively changed the engine. The flywheel, clutch, clutch arm, gearbox and cable is original with the car.

Something isn't sitting right inside, potentially release bearing not sat correctly.
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2016, 01:56 PM)Piggy Wrote: Wont fit due to rear brace I don't think.
Its bloody heavy...not "chucking" involved ?

(03-10-2016, 06:20 AM)Frosty Wrote: You running the exact same clutch setup that was on the car when you got it?

Does sound like you will prob have to drop the box off to see what's going on im afraid.

yep, all exactly the same..

(03-10-2016, 06:50 AM)welshpug Wrote: has it been sat for a while?

probably clutch plate stuck to a rusty flywheel

Not a bad shout - i expect the i'll be having the gearbox off so i can have a look then..

(03-10-2016, 10:47 AM)mr_fish Wrote: I cant see why you would of needed a spacer in the cable. You've only effectively changed the engine. The flywheel, clutch, clutch arm, gearbox and cable is original with the car.

Something isn't sitting right inside, potentially release bearing not sat correctly.

Thanks, the release bearing isn't attached to the pressure plate in most BE setups, it's a seperate entity on it's own.

Any images of how it 'should' be sitting?
Thanks given by:
stolen from the 205 forum

[Image: DSC00394.jpg]

The little 'tabs' really are pathetic that hold the release bearing on the fork arm. need to be gentle with them.
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2016, 01:51 PM)mr_fish Wrote: stolen from the 205 forum

[Image: DSC00394.jpg]

The little 'tabs' really are pathetic that hold the release bearing on the fork arm. need to be gentle with them.

This is how I put it back - as it literally slots onto the fork... i'll take it all apart again and see what i'm left with..

Will be back soon!
Thanks given by:
clutch disc rite way around i know a few people lately fitted them wrong (easy too do)
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2016, 05:59 PM)vincent1 Wrote: clutch disc rite way around i know a few people lately fitted them wrong (easy too do)

....they're directional?! I've never known that.

I did check it over in case it was, but couldn't see anything
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2016, 06:44 PM)ginge191 Wrote:
(03-10-2016, 05:59 PM)vincent1 Wrote: clutch disc rite way around i know a few people lately fitted them wrong (easy too do)

Not direcional just gearbox side and flywheel side, some frictions plates will say on them. 

It is a good shout though this could be your issue.
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2016, 07:17 PM)Yeh Frosty Wrote:
(03-10-2016, 06:44 PM)ginge191 Wrote:

Not direcional just gearbox side and flywheel side, some frictions plates will say on them. 

It is a good shout though this could be your issue.

Ah ok, that would make a lot of sense. What signs are there to show which side is which?
Thanks given by:
sorry i should of worded my post better some times there marked with a fw marking (flywheel side) or some times gb (gear box side) if your not sure remove the pressure plate and upload a picture of how you have the plate fitted now.
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2016, 08:04 PM)vincent1 Wrote: sorry i should of worded my post better some times there marked with a fw marking (flywheel side) or some times gb (gear box side) if your not sure remove the pressure plate and upload a picture of how you have the plate fitted now.

Sure thing; will try get the gearbox off this weekend
Thanks given by:
If it's not marked, if you look at the inner part (with the springs, not the friction material) you'll see that one side is shallower than the other - the shallow side faces the flywheel, the deeper side faces the pressure plate.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(04-10-2016, 08:22 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: If it's not marked, if you look at the inner part (with the springs, not the friction material) you'll see that one side is shallower than the other - the shallow side faces the flywheel, the deeper side faces the pressure plate.

Perfect; was about to ask this as i got the clutch off today.

The side which sticks out fits inside the pressure plate.

Secondly, the release bearing has a little movement , worth buying a new one?
Thanks given by:
Have you found anything that you think is causing your issue?

What movement is in the release bearing? In the actual bearing itself?

To be honest with you i wouldn't be bothering with the standard 205 clutch, I can't see it holding the torque you plan to put through it. For the little extra effort i would be fitting a standard xud clutch like i did on my 205 and use the 306 gearbox. You got a good chance to do it now as it's all out.
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2016, 04:07 PM)Frosty Wrote: Have you found anything that you think is causing your issue?

What movement is in the release bearing? In the actual bearing itself?

To be honest with you i wouldn't be bothering with the standard 205 clutch, I can't see it holding the torque you plan to put through it. For the little extra effort i would be fitting a standard xud clutch like i did on my 205 and use the 306 gearbox. You got a good chance to do it now as it's all out.

Plan is to get it all up and running first - removing gearbox isn't a huge issue on these... I may look at a different gearbox nearer the time, or, just uprate the clutch as the BE box it runs is fairly tough.

The release bearing is a seperate bearing and is not part of the pressure plate and is so as loose as free as can be - unless i'm missing something and there may be something wrong with it which I'm not seeing?
Thanks given by:
What welshpug said...if clutch has normal feeling force to operate, id guess either plate is in wrong way around, or its stuck to flywheel / pressure plate. Can normally bump them free by driving it putting clutch in and jamming the brakes on to force it free...common problem I used to have on field cars left sitting.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2016, 09:00 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: What welshpug said...if clutch has normal feeling force to operate, id guess either plate is in wrong way around, or its stuck to flywheel / pressure plate. Can normally bump them free by driving it putting clutch in and jamming the brakes on to force it free...common problem I used to have on field cars left sitting.

Heard and understood.

Half term next week so I WILL have this on and pulling itself along under its own steam. 

Shall report back in a week or so
Thanks given by: