Engine donor dodging, mile munching HDI

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine donor dodging, mile munching HDI
The mpg side of it has been proven to be crap basically and the tyre would have to last twice as long or something silly. These aren't like Chinese re treads or anything, they weren't even the bottom of the list on camskill!

I'm quite sure they aren't cyclist murdering tyres.
Thanks given by:
Mpg hasn't been proven to be crap, different tread patterns with different efficiency/economy ratings, you can't say a fuel efficient tyre with better materials will get you the same mpg as a more budget tyre made to stricter cost and materials etc.
Everyone has their own opinion, and its fair enough you've went for budgets, As that's your choice, but the majority of people on this forum wouldn't, and you'll find most people on the forum are against budget tyres and anyone who can afford better tyres and doesnt buy them, just not worth skimping.
Thanks given by:
My95 don't worry your self your not driving it! Chill move on...
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
3 crank pulleys later and I have a non wobbly 307 febi pulley. Bit of bum move on my part though, from having the bolt in and out a few times recently i loaded up a bit too much thread lock and took about 15mins on the 1/2' snap on impact gun to remove it.

[Image: C3FD8A43-E8C4-435F-9E47-B6BB2DB3000D_zps77vm3bpy.jpg]

Other than that just been trying to keep it clean! Still doing a fair few miles. Does scrub up very well with a really unmarked interior, I've got some heavy rubber mats in there for dirty feet I seem to constantly have!

[Image: F1D3881E-F810-4F1A-AD81-77C804C73591_zpsdodjdbln.jpg]

[Image: 3A0ED17E-C4BF-43A0-B28D-67EA31B46B05_zpshdiia9hb.jpg]

And still noticing what a difference being Catless has made. On that note assuming it will pass MOT fine on emissions? Obviously still present but hollow.
Thanks given by:
by mot "law" the cat should be visible, whether anything is in there is another matter. Tell your tester just to blip the throttle for the smoke test lol
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
Looking very tidy bud. Yeah it should be fine for emissions without the cat as diesels are just measured on smoke level. Usually its the cats the soot up so much that makes the smoke level so high when doing the emissions.
Thanks given by:
Cheers chaps, thought that was the case, she barely smokes even under load. I'm pretty pleased how it's looking after its 2nd polish and clay, makes regular cleaning a breeze.

Plans going forward are spoiler, QUESTION! - what's the situation with retro fitting a ph2/3 spoiler and the washer jet on the rear? Is there a cut out as I don't want to loose it.

Other plans are splitter, sort the weeping gearbox end crank main seal, chuck in a clutch and maybe a manual clutch at the same time. When Stef did the tracking it became clear one side has slight camber, can't blame it at nearly 200k, so he's talked himself into a build there. Remap at some stage for extra MPG's.

And finally sort the seats out, at 6'6' in really struggling on long journeys so either modify standard seats to go lower and further back and bring the steering wheel out or some rx8 seats.
Thanks given by:
The phase 3 spoilers has a cutout for the water jet and that screws down through the tail gate, you will need to drill some holes though. The phase 2 is the same as the phase 1 and bolts through the glass so you ideally don't want 1 of those. Plus the phase 3 ones are a bit longer and look better IMO.
Thanks given by:
As Frosty said about the spoiler, go for a ph3 Smile

If you look at Nialls old project thread of his supercharged gti6 he fitted RX8 seats in there and he is a tall fellow also so maybe some useful info for you in there Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
I've never seen anyone manage anything useful with OEM seats and I couldn't see a way of doing it when I looked (6'4" with a 36" inside leg). All the fitting of seats from different OEM manufacturers hasn't been much better, the only really comfortable thing has been putting a plate across the mounts then using that to mount an aftermarket reclining bucket seat, you can get that really low down and really far back then but watch out as some of the aftermarket buckets come up a little small.
Thanks given by:
(28-09-2016, 02:55 PM)allye Wrote: Bask in my glory for solving the single most annoying 306 issue.

[Image: 908296E8-EE76-4A76-9AA9-AB61DE89B39A_zpsefymn5zy.jpg]
Where can i get one of them? [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT]

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
eBay cup holder and it'll soon come up, about £5. Supposed to slide between seat and centre console but I cut it down and screwed it to the console as far forward as possible so the seat can still slide forward, best thing I've done to it and I'm going to put one in my 205!

Thanks for the answers, cats all good and think I've found a phase 3 spoiler. With a remap and a drop of 2 stroke in aiming for 70mpg.

With the seats you can remove the height adjuster to go lower and make rails to mount the slider further back, it's what I've done with the 405 seats in the 205. Then the interior matches!
Thanks given by:
Evening all! Trust everyone had a nice festive period, the HDI was getting daily use up to start of December when it got parked up till last week as I was away. Standard winters photo.

[Image: BECADB03-7061-45F6-B167-DF79519AA177_zpsl0m8djjs.jpg]

When I did the drive shaft seals last year I noticed the weaping crank seal so I took advantage of the GSF 50% off deal and got a clutch and oil seal in and cracked on.

[Image: D2FF401D-6E6B-45DE-A62B-86134C3D8E8A_zpsvrlclrxz.jpg]

Gave the flywheel a good clean and wanged a new seal and clutch in.

[Image: 51875DDD-FC18-4FFB-A424-306F0A1FF3A1_zpsdbjavppx.jpg]

[Image: EBE66669-F218-47CC-88D5-2E028FC9FBC9_zpsnwzhj4p5.jpg]

Old bits

[Image: 919C9831-EB6F-4F5E-B09D-BB450FD6620D_zpsunmxejry.jpg]

Old seal was rock hard so no surprises it was giving up. As it's winter and the plugs are unknown I got a set of Bosch plugs on the 50% off.

[Image: DB677F11-FFE1-4339-A158-886D26FCA858_zpsa2wmthpw.jpg]

And finally a warning to you all, this is a customers car at the garage that had a known electrical fault, set fire by itself at 5am!

[Image: D360E4DE-502D-4945-A4F9-FFA03A12BAED_zpsghtaodam.jpg]

Couple more little jobs next week, stuck the stage 1 Mr Whippy ECU in I got from Mr Bash, not driven it properly yet though.
Thanks given by:
Looking good man. The 206 not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
It's getting there, I'm finding it a really satisfying little project as bits are cheap and it's really easy to work on, OE for OE which isn't normally the way!

GTI spoiler and splitter arriving this week, replacing alternator (again from bash!) and have a rebuild Kit coming for the master cylinder as it's started to weap.
Thanks given by:
Where is the master cylinder weeping from?
Thanks given by:
It was hard to tell, originally I thought it was from the base/shaft seals, however when I took it apart the reservoir came off extremely easy not like normal ones I've done where the reservoir needs a really good tug so I think it was likely the two seals ontop.

All rebuilt now.
Thanks given by:
Alright party people, bored of updates on a nearly standard diesel yet?

So after I rebuilt the master cylinder the cylinder plunger was further out for some reason causing the brakes to lock on, so ended up chucking a new one on, job done. Also stuck in another alternator as the original had died whilst being parked up. Removed this bugger too.

[Image: 32A5F0AF-61B6-48D0-B5D1-ED3BD896D2DF_zpsrou843ah.jpg]

Cleaned up the vacuum system, got rid of all the silly connectors and plastic hoses as well as EGR gubbins.

[Image: F709CE35-5486-4BB4-BF43-2A879DD190E7_zpszoflpv5g.jpg]

[Image: 6CFB0E62-7E20-4241-81E0-B55C01354127_zpsow9inkrj.jpg]

Chopped the pattern droopy pea shooter off and fitted a OE-ish looking tail pipe.

[Image: 7D5E29DC-AFE7-4A11-BFE3-A3BCD6558C1F_zps6tp2scpo.jpg]

After being shunted around the yard for for a few weeks doing the above work it was left looking very sorry for itself!

[Image: 7E6001B6-6E2B-4641-8FD6-F9B72DC1F48F_zpsdxbt6x06.jpg]
[Image: 1764A81A-CBDD-4F82-9CC3-FE668C3AB63A_zpsgxq03r8u.jpg]

So today set about giving it a good once over. Sad levels of cleaning today!

[Image: 54D7B861-C15E-4DA7-9C9E-8CEE09E83678_zpssb6babis.jpg]
[Image: 7A47CD81-BDF2-4720-97CF-8A75A2D9462C_zpsn7d47aik.jpg]
[Image: E33DD9DB-7D80-4E56-B0B0-3E49E041E217_zpser7migym.jpg]

As you can see from the above pictures I've fitted a phase 3 spoiler and front splitter which has transformed the car!

QUESTION NUMBER 1 for you lot, assuming these boot and under seat holes are for drainage?

[Image: 09C2058C-8181-4F43-B4CA-F9E48AB60945_zpsli7mrfcx.jpg]
[Image: DF2CED1D-88AC-48CB-84B5-5396A65194E9_zps910gw1fz.jpg]

QUESTION NUMBER 2, after the clutch change I was expecting a lighter pedal, entire clutch system in gear box was throughly cleaned and greased so should be, can cable cause a heavy pedal? The BE box in my 205 is feather light with a manual cable.

Not sure if I'd mentioned it yet but got a stage 1 map on it now, don't need to preach to you lot what a difference that makes, using a drop of 2 stroke now too so all in all with no cat or EGR he's very happy!

Plans going ahead now include;

- some extra proofing throughout.
- a light stereo install, components and a under seat sub.
- paint front valance, bonnet and rear bumper.
- fit tasteful steering wheel on a spacer for my long legs.
- do something with front seats/moving drivers further back and lower.
Thanks given by:
Looks like it cleaned up pretty well. Yeah the cable can cause the pedal to be a bit heavy as far as i'm aware.
Thanks given by:
I've seen bash fit a manual one so I may go down that route.
Thanks given by:
interested in the spaced steering wheel.
I'm thinking of modding a spare column to move it about 3" back.
ditto putting a crank into the gearstick for same ends.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Glad to see the map is all good on that ecu man Smile i really enjoyed it when i had it. The manual clutch cable i still have and am currently not using as the xud is in the car and when the hdi goes back in mine once its built it will be on an xud clutch anyway.

Its not the cable design that makes it heavy its just the age. Auto adjuster would also be fine just with a new cable

On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
I should mention Bash has been my parts man through out! Big help and really quick delivery so thanks for that.

As you recommend I'll stick a new auto cable on for now and see how we get on.

Can you guys confirm the above holes are for drainage? 205 doesn't have them.
Thanks given by:
Front coil sprig snapped whilst stationary the other day and triggered the inertia switch! Very odd.

New spring fitted, new clutch cable fitted which has really improved the feel. Only problem is the bung that seals the able into the bulkhead hasn't seated correctly so it's noisy in the cabin now! No time to sort it.

Had to drag the fecking gearbox out again as the crank seal didn't seal. Another in and hopefully that's ok now. Did 900miles last week, averaged just under 60mpg, majority 70/75mph, 70 odd miles of short journeys too.
Thanks given by:
it'll be the line seals (hockey seals) that go down the bearing cap that needs replacing. I had to do these on the '6 and I'll be doing them on the HDI soon.

http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=35641

Check out that link.

Where did you get the exhaust tip from?
Thanks given by:
Exhaust tip is a waste of time, "chrome" already going rusty, what can you expect for a few quid.

Proud owner today, 600miles in 10 hours last night. These really happiest at bang on 70mph!
Thanks given by:
Service time, oil and filter, air and fuel filter. Greased hinges, topped up other stuff. Fitted a tow bar, £70 delivered from eBay, with electrics, reallly good kit with the extra braces that go back down the chassis and through the boot floor.

[Image: F27CE909-90CD-405D-B987-43F5686E46AA_zpstqclvhgw.jpg]

Towed this puppy around a bit, 100miles With it tomorrow. I'd say that is max I'd want to tow with a 306, that caravan is around 900kg, without a remap I don't think it would be a nice experience.

[Image: 8BC65D38-8721-48AE-AECF-E361E00578E0_zpsr5ws62sq.jpg]

Did some sound proofing as I had the stuff sat there and some time, boot floor, arches and under rear seats, made a difference for sure. At some stage all the door cards will come off, carpet out and roof lining to get the same treatment.

[Image: F6FB3577-37A6-4ECD-AB42-7B4F2667A284_zpslcdbsyr0.jpg]

[Image: 9BCE17AB-2F2A-4EFF-BEA5-0CEB4497A2C6_zpsxgrjpn4f.jpg]

Also had this active sub sat around for a while so put that in, perfect for what I want.

[Image: 8B708928-FB94-4F0F-A1DF-2A71526B292F_zpscmnpu0qc.jpg]

And a quick clean and wax ready for some summer abuse and towing!
[Image: CDCACB58-10FE-4EF0-BCF9-EE9AF495DCC1_zpsenzjupqj.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Got a tad warm up some of the long hills, unsure whether that's because it's remapped or a standard one would do that too?

[Image: 1716B7D9-F7A4-4C2C-A2A7-B59D2A1AA298_zps3toctahq.jpg]

Coolant is recent. Pretty happy with how it towed 1tonne, 40/50 up any normal dual carriage way hill. Happy at 60 in 5th on the flat, beam had a work out. Made sure it didn't have too much tow bar weight.
Thanks given by:
Im suprised a hdi got that hot. I tracked mine for two hours and it never moved off where it normally sat

Thanks given by:
Shouldnt be getting that hot, id be worried if it went over 90 degree, how recent is your thermostat?
Thanks given by: