So... I bought a Rallye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So... I bought a Rallye
So, being a sucker for punishment I've gone and bought another 306, this time a Rallye...

I've known the car (and owner) for a number of years, I've also tried to buy the car multiple times over the years to no avail...

Long story short, due to loss of storage for the car, after a few discussions the owner (Pete) agreed to sell me the car (I'd requested first refusal which he was kind enough to grant me)

The details are as follows

'99 Peugeot 306 Rallye in Cherry Red
70k with a nice amount of history (more than enough to confirm mileage as genuine)
All original besides a "rick rallye" replica bonnet decal that has aged VERY badly!!! Even has the original tape deck and cd changer.

I got the car along with a spare set of genuine decals, a new genuine gearknob (as the one in the car is badly worn) and a spare set of nice condition cyclones.

[Image: 14305330_10153708510931751_1025052068232...7mp1sy.jpg]

[Image: 14310346_10153708510986751_6337228433381...o993er.jpg]

ignore the pink in this photo its my crappy phone camera it doesn't look pink at all in reality

[Image: 20160914_165107_zpsnvwed6xf.jpg]

[Image: 14311308_10153708511121751_4948365711334...rg1bte.jpg]

[Image: 14310489_10153708511201751_3418827817391...n31qi0.jpg]

Plans for the car are to keep it as original as possible just cleaning it up wherever needed such as the engine bay brackets etc it also requires some attention to the minor lacquer peel on the roof and the pinking boot (boot due to where it was parked after loosing storage)

As you can imagine I am VERY happy with my purchase...
[Image: New%20GTi6%20Filmstrip%20sig2_zpsu8ocrldg.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks like a very tidy purchase with some nice low miles as well for one of these. Decent ones will certainly start getting harder to find now and only go up in value now. Plans sound good, it certainly wants to be kept as original as poss.
Thanks given by:
looks very tidy! can we asked how much you paid? price of rallyes seems to be going up recently. This looks like a great example. Any plans for it?
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2016, 03:12 PM)Eeyore Wrote: looks very tidy! can we asked how much you paid? price of rallyes seems to be going up recently. This looks like a great example. Any plans for it?

Well it was sub £2k put it that way...

Plans are to store it other than on the odd nice day maybe take it to shows (probably only local)...

I will be tidying up the few areas that let it down such as the engine brackets, fuel rail and other small areas in the bay... one sideskirt seal has holes in it...
Also the roof has small bit of lacquer peel about the size of a 5p coin but its also gone a bit pink along with the boot looking a bit pink compared to the rest of the car so I intend on getting that sprayed and the rest of the car mopped while its there...
Oh and replace the god awful replica decal on the bonnet...

[Image: 20160915_213532_zpsxquknoxl.jpg]

I would quite like to get some genuine rubber floor mats either new or extremely good used condition...
One thing I do need to buy is a good quality car cover (no need to be waterproof as its being garaged)
Thanks given by:
What's not to like? Nice purchase, I've been thinking it's time to add a 6 or a walleye to the collection also Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Looks a cracking purchase! Big Grin
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Very nice car by the looks of it.

Could I buy the old gear knob off you when you replace it? Mine has worn badly and I can't find a replacement, I'd like to try and refurbish one.
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2016, 10:43 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Very nice car by the looks of it.

Could I buy the old gear knob off you when you replace it? Mine has worn badly and I can't find a replacement, I'd like to try and refurbish one.

To be honest by badly work I mean theres a small bit of leather left that just spins around the top of the gater...
I do also have that plan in mind too due to how ridiridiculous prices of geargearknobs have gone (£30 with no leather on ebay? Wtf)
Thanks given by:
The 6 gearknobs are no longer made, that's why the prices are so daft!

A retrimmer doesn't actually charge much to do them, especially if you need a wheel done as well (not you MCH, I know the Rallyes have that horrible rubber one lol). I think it'd be difficult to get it tight and perfect yourself though.
Thanks given by:
Looks a good example that. Smile
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2016, 08:36 AM)Toms306 Wrote: The 6 gearknobs are no longer made, that's why the prices are so daft!

A retrimmer doesn't actually charge much to do them, especially if you need a wheel done as well (not you MCH, I know the Rallyes have that horrible rubber one lol).  I think it'd be difficult to get it tight and perfect yourself though.

I was going to get a wheel done for my Moonstone 6 but then came across a cabby in my local scrappy so nabbed the wheel out of that so don't need to now...

Going to unpick what's left of the original leather and try and fashion a pattern, I now have 2 gearknobs without leather so can give it a bash, if not I've been told by one of my local Peugeot dealers who they use for repairs on trade in cars (the parts guy said to quote the garage and he'd likely do a deal)

After a better look around the car I've noticed I'm missing a rubber bung off the studs for split folding rear seats (as these aren't split folding) and one of the plastic screws from the very rear of the headlining...
Oh and there is a standard looking fabric buckle attached to the rear panel in the boot that looks to be standard but I cannot figure out what its for and nor could the previous owner...
Thanks given by:
That buckle in the boot was to hold a warning triangle I believe......

[Image: Screenshot_20160923-063044_zpssv12vu2k.png]
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2016, 05:28 AM)Ben_w Wrote: That buckle in the boot was to hold a warning triangle I believe......

[Image: Screenshot_20160923-063044_zpssv12vu2k.png]

Ahh thanks...

Might have to see if I can source a replacement OE item to buckle back up
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I made the same mistake. Thought they were aftermarket, ripped them out!

Part number up there in the right. Not marked NFP so should still be available from Peugeot. If they make you buy more than one, give me a shout. I need a couple.
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2016, 07:29 PM)Ben_w Wrote: Yeah, I made the same mistake. Thought they were aftermarket, ripped them out!

Part number up there in the right. Not marked NFP so should still be available from Peugeot. If they make you buy more than one, give me a shout. I need a couple.

I still have both straps fitted just not got the triangle itself, not sure of a part no. for that
Thanks given by:
Dont think there is a specific Peugeot part number for one. Had a good look on service box but can't find one. Suspect it was an extra you could buy from the dealer's....

Hmmmmmm, note to self. Must look harder.

946830 - £8.48
946835 - £8.33

Two part numbers for triangles. Ending 30 comes with a high viz jacket.
Thanks given by: MCH
(24-09-2016, 06:14 AM)Ben_w Wrote: Dont think there is a specific Peugeot part number for one. Had a good look on service box but can't find one. Suspect it was an extra you could buy from the dealer's....

Hmmmmmm, note to self. Must look harder.

946830 - £8.48
946835 - £8.33

Two part numbers for triangles. Ending 30 comes with a high viz jacket.

Thanks for that.

Going to get a replacement rear wiper and jet cover as the one on there is looking a little tired also...

Need to get underneath it to see what its looking like properly (already had a brief look)...
I know the exhaust has a fair bit of surface rust and the heatshields have seen better days, beyond that I'm not too sure...

Might have to put my Genuine dealer toolkit to use for redoing a rear beam... Shame I don't have the instruction sheets.
Thanks given by:
Plenty of beam guides on here and the GTi6 forum.

Not hard. Getting the torsion bars out can be a swine. A decent press helps.
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2016, 06:30 PM)Ben_w Wrote: Plenty of beam guides on here and the GTi6 forum.

Not hard. Getting the torsion bars out can be a swine. A decent press helps.

Sorry not being clear again, I've taken beams apart in the past but I have a Citroen branded kit for rebuilding the rear beams (tools for setting the bearing depths etc, also have some NOS arb seals, offset washers, and those plastic torx screw things) I just don't have any specific instructions for the toolkit, I assume there would of been a workshop guide provided by Peugeot/citroen
Thanks given by:
Ah, I see.

Inner bearings set at a depth of 200mm I believe. Not sure on outer bearings.

Off set washers live in the trailing arms. Plastic screws I think fix the arb end plates to the trailing arms
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2016, 09:11 PM)Ben_w Wrote: Ah, I see.

Inner bearings set at a depth of 200mm I believe. Not sure on outer bearings.

Off set washers live in the trailing arms. Plastic screws I think fix the arb end plates to the trailing arms

think it'll just be the case of having a butchers at the kit, I've lowered several beams in the past so know the ins and outs of getting them apart in that regard (the proper way not "clicks") and have a torsion bar puller tool

When I finish work tomorrow I'm going to give it a bit of a hoover and another look over in regards to what bits I want to buy for it...

I know I need to change the following bits that look a little tired compared to the rest and the bits I wanted to revert to standard when buying
  • Gearknob badly worn - have a BNIB that came with the car
  • Bonnet decal, remove awful replica that's cracking and fit a genuine item
  • Window winders going milky - change - DONE
  • Headlining clip/screw missing - replace - DONE
  • Re-fit standard stereo linking up the factory fit cd changer and remote stalk - DONE
  • Remove rusting fuel rail and replace with better condition one I already have
  • Source and fit an unbroken jack holder
  • Remove spare wheel and wheel cage, clean, repaint and refit
  • Replace throttle cable - Need to buy one as the current has dried out and is very stiff (improved with oiling with it held up high and working in and out but not 100%)
  • Jack up each corner, remove wheels, clean inside and out, clean arches inc under the arch trim and inspect for surface rust

Thanks given by: