Hand brake cables

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hand brake cables
N.S handbrake cable snapped on MOT today(it failed me Pug).

What's the score on fitting them?are they a pain?

I'll replace the brake pads whilst I'm at it,so am I better doing the cable first?
Thanks given by:
pretty simple, take out the centre console (two screws/bolts under ash tray, couple more under gear gaitor, pull of handbrake rubber then pull the whole thing out)
the adjuster nuts/connectors for the cables are under the flap of carpet, 13mm nut iirc
undo those, then get under the car, wrench them from the clips under the fuel tank
pair of pliers to get get the lgs off the caliper arm
then drift the holder out of the caliper towards the front of the car. wd40 will probably be required to lend a helping hand.

refitting is reversal of removal.

things to note: my new ones had extra tubing over the top of the cable case, which meant it wouldn't fit in the clips under tha tank, so i trimmed them ack a bit with a snanley knife then zip tied them in to make sure they wouldn't fall out.
also, old cables can just be cut with some hence wire cutters if you cba to pull them out of the calipers. probably equally easy tho

id say put the new pads in after you take the old cable off, and before you put the new one on, then its not gunna be pulling the pistons in. also means you can adjust it for the new pads, not for the old ones and saves you doing it twice

hope thats not too garbled...
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Dunno how easy is access wise but the old trick is before you pull the old cable out tie a bit of string to the inside end so when you pull it though you tie the new one onto the string that you just put through then pull that.
Saves fiddling and so on awesome trick for clutch/accelerator cables
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You should do the cables connect them up inside the car but not to tight. Then change the pads and pump the brake pedal out and give it a run to bed them in and then do the cables up tight but not to tight and check the wheels still turn freely
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hand brake cables DeeTurbo 12 1,799 03-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  HDi handbrake cables procta 15 2,731 17-06-2015, 08:40 AM
Last Post: kentiiboii
  hdi clutch cables procta 5 1,590 19-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Alan_M