Exhaust advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust advice
Hi folks,

Got a 97 phase 2 D turbo. The car has a CAT in the exhaust, however I will need to replace the exhaust soon and I hope to fit a non Cat exhaust. My car is just on the cust of the CAT era (It's a P) and my MOT station say it won't be an issue if it's not there.

Just wondering what exhaust I need to buy then?  the car reg will I assume call up a CAT exhaust.  I had a 5 door xldt (P reg 1996) which I bought a full system for while I had it - could I use that reg plate, would it fit ?

Suggestions appreciated!
Thanks given by:
This is the decat bit you want to buy
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231080918810
Thanks given by:
Thanks. So just get that, and then buy the correct exhaust but only from after the CAT back = full exhaust without CAT yes ?

Got a slight stay of execution, been out today and it was a hole at the bottom of the front pipe. Rest of the area looked solid, so I have covered it over with a nice wide clamp. So now it isn't blowing, think it will hold for a while. I'll get the parts ordered to be available on standby.

Thought I had bigger issues, as all of a sudden last night I could hear 'whoosh' on boost, and could hear the turbo whistle loudly. Must have just blown the last bit of rust out of the holed area. Maybe because I was 'dturboing' a dobber in a corsa who was right up my ar53... lol

With the clamp over the hole, everything is nice and quiet again (as quiet as an XUD can be ...)

Cheers
Craig
Thanks given by:
It'd be a fairly lenient tester that lets that obvious bodge through.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cat issue though, just fit the non-cat pipe and make sure it's done a few miles before the test.
If they bring it up just claim it's a changeover car, and being so old it probably just 'slipped though the net' chances are they'll pass it rather than argue.
Thanks given by:
MOT requirement from http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_710.htm:

a. check the exhaust system for leaks

Note: A durable repair to an exhaust system which effectively prevents leaks is acceptable providing the system is structurally sound

The exhaust is in a generally good condition overall, it's structurally sound- you could swing from it and it isn't going to break . All I have is a clamp which is securely fitted over a small hole, and the repair is completely sealing the hole. Therefore there would be no reason for a MOT tester to fail it simply because it has been repaired.
Thanks given by: