Peugeot 206 2.0 HDI Project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peugeot 206 2.0 HDI Project
Hi All

I would like to share what I'm currently working on in the shed.
It's a peugeot 206 2.0 HDI from 2002. 

A little about the car and what have been done so far.
The car has done about 370.000 km and have been reprogammed for the last 30.000, I have done the reprogramming myself. I haven't had it on a dyno but I guess that it has approxmately 130 hp.
In april I installed a front mounted intercooler, and raised the boost pressure to approx 1,2 bar. so no black smoke anymore nice.
the car has a complete bilstein b14 coilover suspension. when I installed this I renovated the rear beam myself aswell. Hard to dissamble the old one but easy to assemble the new/old one or more correctly install the new parts in the old, new jounals and bearings :-) Unfortunenatly i haven't gotten any pictures of this.

At the moment the car is on the lift due to a gearbox leak. so the gearbox is off and getting renovated.
I had a gearbox from a 307 HDI lying around, I had bought i from some guy and my plan was to renovate it befor putting it in the car, but as luck will have it the one in the car has developed a leak and has now been taken out of the car.

Pictures of the old gearbox dismantled :

And washed

And a closer look at the crack in the housing.

The housing can not be used unless I was to weld it :-) at the moment I have gone for the solution of tearing both gearboxes apart and hopefully end up with one that is okay.
So the box from the 206 is apart and the box from the 307 is apart now. the housing of the box from the 307 is quite fine. the synchros in the 307, which have only done like 180.000 km is not as fine as the ones in my own 206 box.

I'm now at the point where I'm cleaning both internals and deciding which internals to use,, but there is always a but, the parts a not completely a like. 
the reverse gear arm is different in the to boxes, så I have had to change this part over.

the fifth gear lever is also different in the two boxes. see pictures :

The old one :

which have two welded points and is thinner at the welding points.

the new one :

Which only has one point of welding, but the bar is not thin?

i don't know right now which one I'm goint to use.
Thats it for now, but I'll try to update this thread and answer if you have questions.

L
Thanks given by:
Right, It is time for an update.

I have managed to assemble the gearbox twice now.
First off I tried to used parts from both the new 307 box and the old 206 box.
I then put the gearbox in and tried it out, first thing I found was the clutch's biting point is nearly at the floor?????
then the gears were not that easy to select, it wouldn't go into gear when the engine was runing, but fine when sengine is stopped
I then had to pull the gearbox off the engine again dissamble the box and put all the old gear selector, so that in the end I only could use the housing from the new 307 box.
The reason that I couldn't select the gears was that the gear clusters the locking pin in different positions.
The differ at an angle of about 15 degrees. i didn't get any pictures of this unfortunately.
So i put it all back together again with the 206 parts and the refitted the gearbox to the car. the gear change then is sweet, but but but the clutch is ALL the way to the floor now.
I not sure it disengages properly, I have fitted a upgraded pressure plate from sachs and a normal clutch, but i can't see why this should do anything to the biting point.
My thoughs right now is that the self adjusting clutch cable is faulty? so i have bought a new one i will try to fit.

I have also fitted a quaife ATB but i haven't had the change really to try it out yet, i don't know if I can feel the difference, But i hope to be able to feel the difference in the wet or in the snow. normlly I don't drive as spirited as I guess one should to get the most of the diff?

I'll get some picture uploaded of the build.

Today i have just fitted a new generator? because when i had finished with the gearbox install the generator didn't wanna charge anymore, so new one on, didn't fit as nice as the one I took off (BOSCH) new one (VALEO) but it came togehter at the end.
Then vent for at drive and realised that the right front bearing has see better days, so this have to be changed????? Peugeot's will keep you busy :-)
Hopefully when all of this is done the canr can get it's MOT and drive for two trouble free years.

Future plans include tasting a merc rail, and a Audi 2,7L high pressure pump. CP1H. install a VNT turbo GT2256V from a merc. and perhaps see if I can find better injector nozzles.
Thanks given by:
Those Sachs pressure plates seem to do this, Jonny has one on his HDi and it's made the clutch almost unusable. I assume it's down to being mated with a used self-adjusting cale, as you say. This sounds like an interesting project, i'll look forward to seeing more updates.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(29-08-2016, 07:22 AM)Poodle Wrote: Those Sachs pressure plates seem to do this, Jonny has one on his HDi and it's made the clutch almost unusable. I assume it's down to being mated with a used self-adjusting cale, as you say. This sounds like an interesting project, i'll look forward to seeing more updates.

I think Jonny has a Helix uprated plate?
I have same issue and helix have given me an updated version...not brave enough yet to fit
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ah you might be right actually, perhaps it's just an issue with uprated pressure plates and self-adjusting cables then...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(30-08-2016, 05:59 AM)Poodle Wrote: Ah you might be right actually, perhaps it's just an issue with uprated pressure plates and self-adjusting cables then...

206 is hydraulic! lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Okay I had ordered a new cable, yes it is cable :-) but I didn't get the right cable so tomorrow I'll try the peugeot dealer and pay triple the price of an unoriginal part.
I need the car on the road next week, so hopefully the problem will be solved with a new cable, fingers crossed.
Thanks given by:
I seem to remember somebody saying something about an older peugeot cable being an option, possibly a 405...? Manually adjustable, so no worries about it mis-adjusting thanks to the higher force. Sorry that's not more helpful, but hopefully it might give you something to build on.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Okay a quick update. I have now been without a car in like nine weeks, so now I needed it back on the road.
I had to abandon the Sachs uprated pressure plante, I couldn't get it to work, i weren't able to find a clutch cable that worked. To little time to look for the cable unfortunately. So the Sachs is now out of the car and a standard valeo pressure plate is installed. Hopefully there is no problemers now, I haven't fully tested it yet.
One upside to all og this is that the quaife ATB is installed and seems to be working, the gearbox have new bearings and I managed to install new front bearings which was really needed.
So all in all I used to much time om the first installation of the gearbox, second and third try went alot faster :-) if you can't get it right the first time round then you can always try again and again :-) which I did
Thanks given by:
Okay so I have been tinkering around in my garage again. I needed a break after the transmission fight. But my mate just called to tell me that my turbo was done/finished. So hopefully over the christmas holiday I will install the gt2256v turbo om my 206. And hopefully get the vnt to work and here comes the tinkering. I have moved the wire (green) from a4 to b4, being from egr to vnt pin.    
I used a paper clip to loosen the wire.    
Then I checked the wire went to the egr plug which fortunately did.
Below are some pictures og my turbo and the fuel rail I'm planing on using.

Until next time merry christmas

Sendt fra min A0001 med Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Why the different fuel rail!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Because I'm planning on using a audi 2,7 high pressure pump. The control on that pump isn't the same as on the standard but the one on the fuel rail should be similar.

Sendt fra min A0001 med Tapatalk
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peugeot 309 16v TU Petrol Project mr_fish 30 17,438 30-08-2018, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Danny Wideboy
  Peugeot 309 d turbo project adampug 30 12,853 04-12-2016, 10:03 AM
Last Post: adampug
  peugeot expert project davidfarrellt 2 2,201 16-09-2015, 07:54 AM
Last Post: davidfarrellt