sticking caliper

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sticking caliper
Question 
I think i have a sticking caliper

fitted new pads and discs all round about 5 months ago, the OSR pad has already worn down already! i've noticed if i leave my handbrake on over night, sometimes the pads get stuck :S

has this happened to anyone else before?? easy fix or am I going to need a new caliper??
Thanks given by:
Common enough issue for the brake to drag slightly and prematurely wear the pads.

Check that the sliders move freely and that the handbrake is correctly adjusted. If they're OK, more often than not freeing the piston by winding it in and out will normally fix it.

If it doesn't, easiest thing is to replace the caliper - you can rebuild them with new seals, but it's a bit fiddly re-assembling the handbrake mechanism.

You can normally tell if one brake is dragging by checking the heat of the brakes after driving - if one side is noticeably hotter than the other, it's probably dragging/binding. Careful, as if you've been braking a fair amount then the disks will probably be too hot to touch!
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by: PocketFighter
quality info mate thanks for that! would this also make a lot of noise when braking? i get a very loud squeal only when i brake and i can't for the love of me pin point where it comes from, its definitely not a bearing!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tricky sticking it in..... Uberderv 4 1,894 03-09-2017, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Uberderv
  Brakes sticking on rear sparkysparks 12 2,406 06-07-2015, 11:17 AM
Last Post: sparkysparks
  brakes sticking Harky 3 1,309 08-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Pebbles167