House moving cost

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House moving cost
Been quoted £2500 for a 60 mile move, including full packing for a 3 bedroom house.

Seems excessive, but the 15 previous companies were totally full.

Is this too much?
Thanks given by:
When did you pass your test? If you have the right license, hire a 7.5t and do it yourself.
If you only have a 3.5t license, hire the biggest luton van you an find and do it yourself.

Bear in mind it is a massive pain in the arse and will have you pulling out your hair.
£2500 does seem a bit steep, how much time do you have till moving date?
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
How many blokes are they sending and are they packing the day before, are they unpacking too?

If it's 5-6 blokes and 2 days from a big insured company it's not terrible (with hertfordshire/south east wages) although it would seem they have you by the short and curlys if they are the last place left.

You could always get a couple of local man with van services together but would you trust them?

IMO best bet would be a 3.5T box van and do it yourself, your missus boxes stuff up while you do shuttle runs, you should get 3 runs done in a day.

I've been looking a little into it and I reckon I could Just about get my house and workshop into a single 3.5T van load
Thanks given by:
Main problem is moving heavy items like fridge-freezer or washing machine on your own, I'd just do it yourself otherwise!

We paid proper removal guys for the main bulk of my Nans stuff to be moved to her flat (large dresser, wardrobes, 3 pc suite, oven etc) and tbh the removal men were useless! Didn't bring tools to dismantle things, wouldn't disconnect the oven and didn't tell us that previously, damaged things etc. I'd honestly have rather done it myself but didn't have anyone to help lift large items on the day.
Thanks given by:
Last time I moved I only used a Berlingo van.  Rofl

O.K it was only 5 miles and there were a few questionable items strapped to the roof, but as Dum says, a big 3.5t luton van will fit loads in.
Just depends how long you can contain your temper. Moving sux balls.

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
We moved the contents of a 3 bed semi that had been lived in for the last 13 years in 2 trips in a 3.5t Luton.

I wouldn't dream of paying that amount. Luton for a day round here is £110 & they provide sack barrows, blankets, ropes etc.
Thanks given by:
Passed in 2006, so only have A B1 and B on my licence.

Can I drive a 3.5ton Luton van with that?
Thanks given by:
(27-07-2016, 07:20 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote: Passed in 2006, so only have A B1 and B on my licence.

Can I drive a 3.5ton Luton van with that?

Yup.
Thanks given by:
Thought i was limited to Trannie sized vans!

Coolio! but a local company just quoted me £900 for same move! Including full packing. Need to have a conversation with the other guy tomorrow!
Thanks given by:
£900 is far more reasonable. As above, it wont be just one bloke so with wages, boxes and diesel taken into account, as well as the fact they need to make a profit, that's not too bad.

Luton van is less money, hore hassle.

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
I'll chip in where I can! But I am far happier with £900. They say theyll use a luton as well.

Hiring, fuelling a luton van would probably set me back £200, not to mention the hassle of actually packing!
Thanks given by:
(27-07-2016, 06:56 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Main problem is moving heavy items like fridge-freezer or washing machine on your own, I'd just do it yourself otherwise!

We paid proper removal guys for the main bulk of my Nans stuff to be moved to her flat (large dresser, wardrobes, 3 pc suite, oven etc) and tbh the removal men were useless!  Didn't bring tools to dismantle things, wouldn't disconnect the oven and didn't tell us that previously, damaged things etc.  I'd honestly have rather done it myself but didn't have anyone to help lift large items on the day.

You likely wouldn't be moving on your own. I'd certainly be roping in friends and family.
Thanks given by:
All white goods are staying! Rented house already has them!
Thanks given by:
(28-07-2016, 08:42 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote:
(27-07-2016, 06:56 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Main problem is moving heavy items like fridge-freezer or washing machine on your own, I'd just do it yourself otherwise!

We paid proper removal guys for the main bulk of my Nans stuff to be moved to her flat (large dresser, wardrobes, 3 pc suite, oven etc) and tbh the removal men were useless!  Didn't bring tools to dismantle things, wouldn't disconnect the oven and didn't tell us that previously, damaged things etc.  I'd honestly have rather done it myself but didn't have anyone to help lift large items on the day.

You likely wouldn't be moving on your own. I'd certainly be roping in friends and family.

That only works if you have friends and family... Tongue

My Dad wouldn't lift anything in case he hurt his back so that was it lol.

When I moved to my flat I did it all with the Focus, but the only large item I brought was a reclining arm chair...which I could get into the car but not up the stairs lol, Rowell came and helped get it up lol. White (well, silver) goods were delivered new the next day...no idea how I'm gonna move those down the stairs without paying 'professional' removal men when the time comes!
Thanks given by:
(28-07-2016, 08:52 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(28-07-2016, 08:42 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote:

That only works if you have friends and family... Tongue

My Dad wouldn't lift anything in case he hurt his back so that was it lol.

When I moved to my flat I did it all with the Focus, but the only large item I brought was a reclining arm chair...which I could get into the car but not up the stairs lol, Rowell came and helped get it up lol.  White (well, silver) goods were delivered new the next day...no idea how I'm gonna move those down the stairs without paying 'professional' removal men when the time comes!

My Dad, at 62, still thinks he's 25 I'm sure. Helpful in these instances, even with the f*cked back.
Thanks given by:
(28-07-2016, 08:52 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Rowell came and helped get it up 

Oh did he?
Thanks given by:
(28-07-2016, 08:52 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Rowell came and helped get it up lol.   goods were delivered new the next day...

TMI

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
We did the move ourselves - 60 mile move - contents of big 3 bed house and workshop into LWB transit and Meridian Estate over 2 days. Cost £200 inc. fuel and van hire.
Thanks given by:
If I had ANYONE who could help, i'd do it myself!
Thanks given by:
Leighton buzzard eh? Not too far away.
How good are your bacon sandwiches, and is your Mrs fit?

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
(29-07-2016, 07:30 PM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: Leighton buzzard eh? Not too far away.
How good are your bacon sandwiches, and is your Mrs fit?

Awesome and yes!

But I have a mover now!
Thanks given by:
If you time it right I should be able to help at this end
Thanks given by:
(29-07-2016, 07:44 PM)thododd Wrote: If you time it right I should be able to help at this end

Cheers! But i'm paying these guys enough, I plan to do absolutely nothing!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oh bugger dog house tonight cully 10 3,115 14-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  House electrical question cpikey316_ 6 3,042 15-11-2017, 06:42 AM
Last Post: cully
  Moving fag charger location Mac22 7 1,677 24-12-2016, 10:33 PM
Last Post: Mac22