NA to Turbo - now needs more heat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NA to Turbo - now needs more heat
I replaced the broken NA engine with a turbo - goes great! very pleased and almost as economical too.
Only thing is it needs heat EVERY time to start it. Even in hot weather. The NA didn't, just a few secs on a cold morning.
This one needs 10 seconds from cold and then stats lie a bag of nails on 2 cylinders, coughs a bit and then onto all 4.
is this normal? I've searched and searched but no-one seems to be reporting this behaviour.
Cheers.
Thanks given by:
Glowplugs?
Thanks given by:
Glow plugs working very well - took them out and tested them
Thanks given by:
air ingress then? leaking back to pump maybe ...

check return lin eon fuel pump with clear line for bubbles ...
Thanks given by:
I found mine was like that if the pump was too retarded, add some advance, started without plugs at all apart from winter lol

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Tbf the XUDT will generally require heat on every start unless its just been running that second, and even then wont normally fire right up without heat, the NAD runs higher compression than the turbo engine, and it is noticeable, the NAD will fire up alot easier from warm with little or no heat...

That said if its running really bad / lumpy it would deffo be worth checking the plugs / diesel lines etc for air intake.

As above also, a little extra injection timing will often make a tired XUD alot happier over the years...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Could be tired glow plugs - mine always needs at least 6/7 secs of heat to start,glow plugs easiest place to start - you can check them with a multi meter for resistance - should be no more than approx 1.0 ohm.
Thanks given by:
or if you don't know when they were last changed then just replace them anyway.
Thanks given by:
My turbo 306 needed heat every time too. I got used to it as I also came from a NA XUD.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
I've noticed it varies lots, a late ph1 DTurbo with lucas my brother had would be a fucker when warm, mum's bosch 405 barely needed any glow when hot, as evident by the much shorter time the light was on for.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(24-06-2016, 11:18 AM)welshpug Wrote: I've noticed it varies lots, a late ph1 DTurbo with lucas my brother had would be a fucker when warm, mum's bosch 405 barely needed any glow when hot, as evident by the much shorter time the light was on for.

Bosch vs lucas vary massively on cold starting due to the change in timing, also later XUD's with EGR etc have different timing again, the biggest factor to colding starting IDI is injection timing on start....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
is the cold start advance working as intended?
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Also check your +12v on the glowplugs has a solid rail. I have found dodgey connections there before.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-06-2016, 12:11 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote:  the biggest factor to colding starting IDI is injection timing on start....

But a good starting point is testing/replacing any iffy glow plugs !If they are in really good condition then one would have to look into it more deeply

(24-06-2016, 08:20 PM)toseland Wrote: is the cold start advance working as intended?

My cold start unit/waxstat does not work at all and my car still starts ok,although when it is very cold I do keep a little throttle on manually for a few seconds after start.
Thanks given by:
(24-06-2016, 12:11 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote:
(24-06-2016, 11:18 AM)welshpug Wrote: I've noticed it varies lots, a late ph1 DTurbo with lucas my brother had would be a fucker when warm, mum's bosch 405 barely needed any glow when hot, as evident by the much shorter time the light was on for.

Bosch vs lucas vary massively on cold starting due to the change in timing, also later XUD's with EGR etc have different timing again, the biggest factor to colding starting IDI is injection timing on start....

Been meaning to get around to replying for a while now -
Thanks vey much for all these answers. I checked everything mentioned. I added as much advance as I could to the pump and now it starts up ver y much quicker than before.
Only worry is maybe its too much and I could be doing some damage ..?
cheers
james
Thanks given by: