Lightweight battery

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightweight battery
Hi all just a bit of info really, I'm thinking that the battery in my 6 really needs replacing sometime soon. Question is they weigh a ton so will be looking to find a lighter replacement, anyone done this before an which battery? Cheers
Thanks given by:
odyssey pc680 is a good choice
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
It won't be long till lipo batteries will replace the lead acid in cars.
Thanks given by:
(31-05-2016, 01:43 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: It won't be long till lipo batteries will replace the lead acid in cars.

They already exist but there approx £600 but they weight 1 or 2 kilos!!! Quite lush but bit expensive for now
Thanks given by:
and very dangerous.

I use many lipo batteries, and have to charge mine in an old ammo box to make safe. your charging system needs to chut off when the battery has reached optimal voltage, or you will quite literally blow up the battery........... have you ever seen a lipo fire. if not just hit up youtube and you will see how much potential danger is in one of these batteries. And yes i have about 12 of them for my RC planes that i build.

(I RETRACT THE ABOVE STATEMENT IN LIGHT OF NEW FACTS DEALING WITH CAR LIPO BATTERIES)

The weight difference is insane, but i would be very cautious about putting one where i cant keep an eye on it.

There are other light weight batteries out there, but as long as they hold the same amp/hrs and cranking amps, it will be a good replacement Smile
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
(31-05-2016, 05:10 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote: and very dangerous.

I use many lipo batteries, and have to charge mine in an old ammo box to make safe. your charging system needs to chut off when the battery has reached optimal voltage, or you will quite literally blow up the battery........... have you ever seen a lipo fire. if not just hit up youtube and you will see how much potential danger is in one of these batteries. And yes i have about 12 of them for my RC planes that i build.

The weight difference is insane, but i would be very cautious about putting one where i cant keep an eye on it.

There are other light weight batteries out there, but as long as they hold the same amp/hrs and cranking amps, it will be a good replacement Smile

Yeah bud my mate has lithium polymer batteries in his R C cars! Quite awesome but these are car batteries so was thinking to give them a go but silly money is putting me off
Thanks given by:
It is a little steep for a battery, but the weight difference is insane.. Smile
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
(31-05-2016, 05:10 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote: and very dangerous.

Only dangerous if abused! Easy to do with R/C lipos but the car battery replacements have all the safety circuitry to prevent these issues including low/high voltage cutoff, over current cutoff, etc. The charging circuit is integrated too.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
that will be why they are so damb expensive then Smile

i didn't realize it was all built in. With that in mind it is much safer than i originally thought, and thus retract my previous statement  Nospeak

Rofl
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
Still fooking expensive thou, I am putting a kidney on eBay tonight please bid generously lol
Thanks given by:
That and car batteries are usually lifepo4 varients.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
I found the battery to be quite cheap but it's everything else that bumps up the cost.
PC680 about halves the weight.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Ultracapacitors + LiFePo4 setup is nice and cheap, reliable and reduced that risk of lithium fires.

Otherwise Ultracapacitors (http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Ma...e2ICx7HjQJ) and a smaller lead acid battery.

Or the ultracaps and a huge lead acid battery like I have!
Thanks given by: Xsikid

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flat battery/ can't open at to charge battery Aaron _d95 18 7,833 01-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Last Post: C2K