Toe in

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toe in
The Haynes manual states 1mm +/- 1/2mm toe in for our estate, ph3 2 litre hdi power steering, is this correct please??

Also, how much toe in would be achieved with one complete turn of a track rod, turned so as to lengthen the track rod please.

The tyre wear on the outer edges suggest too much toe in, more outer edge wear on the o/s/f compared with the n/s/f, about twice as much, with some feathering across the whole tread, but mainly and more pronounced on the outer edges ( toe ing in more under braking?? ) . The p bushes and wishbone etc.  seem all ok.

I have a simple trammel gauge ( like very large calipers ) to do a basic check and will measure this afternoon, after the match. JNo one in our area does a "free check" and charge about £30 for a check and adjust, well they did the last time and wear has increased since then, so I don't really trust them.
Thanks given by:
remember that the outsides will naturally wear faster just because they take the load and wear on roundabouts and corners etc. I thought that tracking was pretty much straight as standard and toe out slightly for better turn in if its a track car.
Thanks given by:
You won't get a free check without being 'obliged' to have it for adjusted due to the time it takes to setup the equipment. £30 isn't bad but most places can't do it well!!

Slight toe in is normal on a road car, particularly with 'light' PAS, it makes it easier to hold a straight line.

You can buy 'DIY' laser tracking gauges for about £50 iirc. Though personally I'd rather have it done once and done properly for the cost of tyres and the annoyance of wonky wheel lol.
Thanks given by:
is the haynes manual correct tho?

any idea about one turn of the track rod result at the wheel?

old school says toe out on turns and for front wheel drive a slight toe out

match starting very soon
Thanks given by:
I don't know if the Haynes is right, it isn't usually lol. Need someone with autodata to confirm it. I don't know about turns vs mm either I'm afraid. I did look into the DIY tracking stuff but it just seemed like it was something best left to pro's with expensive equipment. I do know one turn is quite a lot though, from refitting a track rod one turn out lol.

Toe out gives you a better turn in but a looser/skittish feel on fast straights. Also makes it easier to steer slow speed on a non-PAS car. Toe in helps keep a straight line at speed but will lose some turn in, it'll be more difficult to steer slow speed but it doesn't matter with PAS putting the effort for you.
Thanks given by:
1mm toe-in is correct, remember it's a combined value, ie 1/2mm each side. That said, tracking dead ahead is fine. You will find it tracks the camber of the road a little more, but i prefer it for the improved drive.

A full turn of the track rod gives you about 2mm toe adjustment ISH, but i'd seriously recommend measuring it properly. Also worth remembering the measurement will change slightly as you tighten the lock-nut, so measure again once you've finished and adjust a little if required. I think Cully has done a guide on the "bits of string" method, which is perfectly accurate if done carefully.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
cool, will have an other look in the guides section. my trammel is toooo bendy to give an accurate 1mm toe in, so may make a better one.
Thanks given by:
I tend to set it slightly toe in, about 0'06" combined
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
anyone used the trackace laser unit, seems good, about 75quid?
Thanks given by: