Balancing centreless

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balancing centreless
Just thought I'd share my experience.

In the 16 years of owning my car and having centreless alloys I've hated them as I could not find any where that could balance them properly until now.

I think ever since the first tire change I've always had a shaky car, through ether buckles or in most cases badly balanced wheels. That also includes deal tire shops.

Once a tire shop had lost one of the arms of the adaptor and still tried to balance my wheels with massive amounts of lead. I told them it won't be balanced. They said it will be fine, as soon as I drove it you could feel the car shaking at low speeds. I couldn't be arsed going back and took the lead off when I got home and found that the tires weren't to bad with no weights on and then the next couple of years at other tires shops as soon as I see them put 30g or more on I would remove the lead and found it to be better.

Some places say they calibrate the machine once a week and service the machine once a month but I don't think they calibrate with the adaptor so their always out.

I picked up a set of alloys that were straight but a tatty a few years back and I refurbed them. When I had tires fitted on them to my disappointment I found them not to be smooth. 

When I had the tires changed on the estate, which is on Swallows the tire shop I went to did a great job on balancing them I thought I'd get them to do the Cyclones. Got them to do the front first, they got them better, not as much shake on the steering wheel so thought the rears might need doing. Got them done and guy said the car should be smooth as but I still had a bit of shake. I called them up and they said to bring the car back. They calibrated the machine there and then, redone the fronts to begin with. The journey home I was surprised at the difference so had the rears done again and now the car is so smooth. I can't remember a time that the car was so smooth perhaps only the first year of buying it but that's just a hazzy memory now.

I've also notice the engine feels like it pulls more freely and a improvement in MPG.

The guys did two lots of re-balances for free and were very helpful and accommodating when I went back so I think I'll make another visit with a load of beers for the guys as a thank you for being so great. Most places I've been back to normally just get arsey.
Thanks given by:
It's always a chore with cyclones but last time out I used ats in slough because of time restraints an all 4 wheels feel amazing. My bro has a garage in West Sussex that I use if I'm down that way and he is fab too :-)
Thanks given by:
Last time I used ATS was for a puncher repair and they took chunks out the bits that bulge out on the spokes of the wheel when removing the tire. There was a bolt that stuck out of the bit the feeds the tire bead off the rim. The c*nt said that was where I kurb the wheel. I had to call the manager down to show it was done by their machine. The car was only two years old at the time and I was proper pissed off. They repaired the wheel but I couldn't believe the fitter tried to deny the damage.
Thanks given by:
Think sometimes it's pot luck bud. I took a chance with them and they were actually quite good , it's always nervous times using places like that thou
Thanks given by:
I've had so many bad experiences with garages I try to keep away from anyone else working on my cars as much as possible.
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2016, 12:06 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: I've had so many bad experiences with garages I try to keep away from anyone else working on my cars as much as possible.

I'm lucky my bro in law has a garage so 9 times out of 10 I go there
Thanks given by:
Apex tyres in Peterborough. Never ever ever had an issue with my cyclone balance and I went through a lot of tyres.

They have a standalone balancer for centreless that's never broken down for centred wheels.

Can't rate them highly enough for people nearby.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wheel balancing simo2007 2 1,741 28-02-2019, 01:28 PM
Last Post: simo2007
  VIBRATION- balancing and tracking done thealphanoob 0 1,031 22-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Last Post: thealphanoob
  Dynabeads - Wheel balancing Daniel306 14 3,377 18-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Daniel306