steering wheel not straight after beam change/new tyres

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
steering wheel not straight after beam change/new tyres
I'm not going to do anything to the car in a while, to stop thread spamming Tongue

But after I changed the beam, the steering wheel isn't straight. Have to turn a bit left to go forwards. By eye sight wheels front and rear point forwards when the steering wheel is a bit to the left. I got a tip that maybe the rear beam isn't adjusted on the mounts. But I thought it wasnt adjustable? When its in the 6 holes its ok? No mention of this in any of the guides. I also got new tyres on the front wheels that I haven't used before the beam got on.
It has been standing on stands on the rear for a while, and also a couple of days only on the left side front and back. Could this have f*cked up the tracking? Car does not pull to any sides. And when turning, the steering wheel goes back to bit left when I let go of the wheel(A bit slowly).
Thanks given by:
It will probably be the beam, there is a small amount of adjustment in it. Loosen the nuts and give it a good shove to move it over.
Thanks given by:
Loosen all 6 nuts and shove it(On the groung or jack it up)? Will it align itself? I pushed the mounts as far back as I could on the beam itself where the rear ones can be adjusted.
Thanks given by:
It will need to be jacked up unless you are the hulk! But yeah just loosen those nuts and shove it.

It won't align itself no, you may have to do it again if it's still not right.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom Smile
Thanks given by:
No worries, I had exactly the same problem after my first beam change haha! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Jacked it up, and loosned the 6 bolts. Can't say it feels like Im adjusting anything. Maybe loosen the ones under the rear mounts as well. If steering wheel has to be turned to the left, then left side of beam forwards and right side backwards? Tongue
Thanks given by:
I said a good shove, you need to put some effort in lol!

I always get confused with directions but you're probably right. lol
Thanks given by:
Still can't wrap my head around this. Stupid me Tongue
Do I push on it and hold it while someone else tightens the nuts? Or do I loosen it, and kick it a bit so that it seats properly? Not sure if its supposed to be adjustable or if its just not seated properly on the mounts?
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2016, 07:10 AM)Iaitoo Wrote: the steering wheel isn't straight. Have to turn a bit left to go forwards. By eye sight wheels front and rear point forwards when the steering wheel is a bit to the left.

The bold text suggests that the tracking is out to me.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
if its had a beam change and thats the only thing thats changed its going to be the beam.

I would suggest both. Kick it around a bit into place. If you have to steer left then the beam is too far forwards on the right and too far back on the left. Push the left forwards and right backwards. Kick it about then get someone to bolt it in.
Thanks given by:
Could you use a ratchet strap to hold it in place while you do the bolts up? Just an idea is all. Never tried it because Iv never done a rear axle swap !
Thanks given by:
Aye, only thing I've done is a beam change. Using loads of force but don't think it moves much. But going to try again, and play around with it. Well, I've also changed to summer wheels which got new tyres on the front. But steering wheel was straight last time I used those wheels.
Thanks given by:
There isn't much movement in it, doesn't take a lot to change the steering angle though.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Pulled so hard on it, that I moved the car on the stands. I've tried 4 times now. And the steering wheel is exactly the same. Not less, not more.
But I just remembered that the old summer tires on the front were smaller than the ones on the rear. 185/60 vs 185/65. Not sure if that has anything to say. But they were very unevenly worn on the front. New ones are ofc 185/65 as the rears. So maybe that as f*cked the tracking and that it's not the beam. Maybe I should just get new track rods and tie rod ends and then an alignment? Can't find any service logs with this changed since 94 Tongue Probably has been changed once but who knows. Car has done 300 000km..
Thanks given by:
Have a read of this.
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?...#pid292948
Thanks given by:
Uneven tyre wear can change the steering angle/effective tracking, most likely the tracking has always been out and the tyres wore to accommodate it. Should have asked if your old tyres were straight before, wasn't really thinking.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear beam change LironTurbo 11 2,983 21-07-2017, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  had my tracking done again today , and my steering wheel isnt straight jjenn20 22 4,857 10-04-2015, 07:15 AM
Last Post: welshpug
  Changing rear beam/ Steering wheel problem E_KEL95 3 1,291 13-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Toms306