The boosted 205 rat - pictures and video added (25.09.16)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The boosted 205 rat - pictures and video added (25.09.16)
quite a bit of weight in the battery. Would it be beter to put a metal plate in the bottom of the box?
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2016, 06:02 PM)ginge191 Wrote: Bolted down battery box, drilled hole for power cable and fitted grommet.

And got hold of my cable with the spades fitted at each end .
[Image: attachment.php?aid=28876]

That is the most ridiculous looking battery box I have ever seen, functional for sure - but that colour combo!

agree with sam, spread the load on your fixing bolts as they're likely to pull straight through the plastic in a crash. big washers even will help.

Oh and that hole placement for the cable is atrocious - deffo not a plumber then?

<3

[Image: 80s_fitness_shorts.jpg]
[Image: 817cdc301f458f363ec937af8835aa95.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Reason why the cable couldn't go closer to the box was because the rear beam and movement in the trailing arm would mean fouling the cable (as the cable is running outside for ease.

Secondly, the hole was already there so would be mad to drill more than was needed

Thirdly, the securing of the box was as instructed; it is seriously secured down and I'd be surprised if it was to rip out, and if it did, being tied shut, its again secured.
This is perfectly safe, if a garage/MOT says otherwise I'd be more than happy to take their guidance.

As for the battery box, it's a generic leisure battery box, collected from my local chandlery. As you do when living around boats lol
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Yeh I know it's a marine one as I've got an identical one myself. I don't think it's much consolation that the two halves of the box stat together when it flies at you.

Boats don't crash like cars funnily enough so I'd definitely look at spreading the load.
Thanks given by:
FLOL! 10kg of battery during 1G of braking force means it'll be exerting a force of 650N on that battery box... That's like a person standing on it... Maybe won't rip it off.

But say you have a crash at 30mph and you hit a dead stop in 1ft, that's a deceleration of 294m/s^2 on a 10kg battery that's a force of 2940N = 299kg - that's like hanging two XUDs from the battery box...

Read: The battery is joining you, probably clonk you on the back of the head with roughly the same force. However that won't be decelerating within 1ft, more like 0.2 foot... Meaning a deceleration rate of 1474m/s^2 on that same 10kg battery means it's gonna hit your head with a force of 14740N = 1503kg.

Get some bloody washers on those bolts, you might have a chance of it not smacking you in the back during a crash.

Hate to say it too, I wouldn't trust most garages/MOT stations to wash my pants, let alone give me advice on whether a mounting for a battery in the interior is safe or not...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
#d*cksoutforginge
Thanks given by:
I love you Ruan! #sciencebitch
Makes absolutely no sense to me, but, there are washers on top. Underneath there a spring and normally washer on the nuts.

Going by Ruan's calculations, it's as dangerous as having a tool box in the boot, surely?

What I can do then, is get another strap, put in across the box and secure to the back of the boot, below where the bootlid sits. If it does have any chance of ripping itself firstly from bolts, secondly from the first strap, thirdly from the cables, then it'll fourthly need to break a second strap, and make its way past the rear seats and/or parcel shelf ....
Thanks given by:
Update:

More welding done
Turbo clocked for location

Next job on Saturday
Bleed whole brake system again
Weld turbo exhaust and mount the damn thing
Send off to get oil line made up
Thanks given by:
Update:

Matt came round today so we wrestled with the power cable and got it installed as well as fitting the earth cable in the boot etc.

All in all, pleased with how it is so far

Turbo has gone home with a friend after realising the oil return was going against gravity and not being able to clock it to any position, it'll need redrilling/tapping to be able to screw the compressor side back down.

Bled the brakes again also; bled the MC, no air.
Had a lot of air in the NSR cylinder - it was also coming out a very dark colour...
haven't tested it yet as was in rush !
Thanks given by:
Wiring for the battery - starts fine, cranking is sometimes a struggle... may need to up the ampage. Cable runs through grommit in wheel arch, as does the cable which will need pinning back to keep out the way.

[Image: 3bB8zyE.jpg]

[Image: etGpegu.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Turbo has been drilled and tapped for clocking. Next challenge - mounting the actuator.

Oil lines will be made up soon - just got to measure the length needed once turbo is in situ

[Image: Fz3y6Yu.jpg]
Thanks given by:
UPDATE:

1) Test fitted exhaust
2) chopped and welded
3) found an issue
4) repeat from step 1.....

Sums up the weekend nicely...
Thanks given by:
Productive day all in all.

Began by getting the car up and securing the power cable..

[Image: B2la5Kd.jpg]

I did use a second P clip lower down but didn't photo that - all out the way and tidy

Then got set inside and sorted/fitted gauges and the cheap-tack-tastic pod holder...please don't judge - why anyone went to the effort of hydrodipping this crapppy tacky carbon i have no idea

[Image: VbtCvem.jpg]

and finally made large progress with the manifold

- got the pipe to turbo fairly sorted
- made first mount for the turbo
- got adapter pipe for the exhaust side ready

And excuse the gaps on the corner - it's a tight bend at the end - but by the end of the evening, it's all filled and ground back to reveal a nice seal all the way round

New position of turbo

[Image: nv4jxwa.jpg?1]

[Image: L1iRWAv.jpg]

[Image: 1ND7MUY.jpg]
Thanks given by:
backyard engineering at its finest with that manifold. id do the same. where did you get your plates made??
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(20-11-2016, 05:47 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: backyard engineering at its finest with that manifold. id do the same. where did you get your plates made??

They're the only part which has been 'professionally' made - they were laser cut by a local metal works
Thanks given by:
(20-11-2016, 06:26 PM)ginge191 Wrote:
(20-11-2016, 05:47 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: backyard engineering at its finest with that manifold. id do the same. where did you get your plates made??

They're the only part which has been 'professionally' made - they were laser cut by a local metal works

currently trying to figure out how to get mine done this time round when i get to them as last time i was able to make them but i no longer work where i did and lack certain facilities now. may have to look into this
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(20-11-2016, 08:29 PM)bashbarnard Wrote:
(20-11-2016, 06:26 PM)ginge191 Wrote:

currently trying to figure out how to get mine done this time round when i get to them as last time i was able to make them but i no longer work where i did and lack certain facilities now. may have to look into this

I hadn't two made up for me; £40 each or so. But, they need to be perfect
Thanks given by:
Back to the battery, I watched a crash test years ago of a small toolbox in the boot of a car during what IIRC was a 30mph crash into a solid block. It broke through the back seats and split open firing tools at nearly 30mph at the occupants of the front seats.

I'm sure it was 5th gear that did it but I can't find the video. I'd be making sure I was very happy with how secure my my battery was even behind the back seats.
Thanks given by:
What a great update - nice work dude.
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2016, 08:34 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Back to the battery, I watched a crash test years ago of a small toolbox in the boot of a car during what IIRC was a 30mph crash into a solid block. It broke through the back seats and split open firing tools at nearly 30mph at the occupants of the front seats.

I'm sure it was 5th gear that did it but I can't find the video. I'd be making sure I was very happy with how secure my my battery was even behind the back seats.

I'm happy that the battery is not going to be going anywhere... I'll even make a bracket to go between the two sets of bolts. 

But, the battery boxes are made to specification. After speaking to the chandlery i got it from, they were more than confident that it wasnt going to go anywhere when fitted with the supplied bolts and washers..

(23-11-2016, 10:16 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: What a great update - nice work dude.

Cheers  Smile
Hopefully this weekend will see the mounting of the turbo and the start of the exhaust also... 

Oil line will be sent off to be made this weekend also.
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2016, 08:34 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Back to the battery, I watched a crash test years ago of a small toolbox in the boot of a car during what IIRC was a 30mph crash into a solid block. It broke through the back seats and split open firing tools at nearly 30mph at the occupants of the front seats.

I tried to find that same video but gave up. My Google Fu is obviously stronger today tho Smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbBahHohHjc

11 mins or so in. It changed the way I transport certain things after I saw the episode I can tell you!
Thanks given by:
wow that videos really good. nice to see the 180 in there as well.
Thanks given by:
Erm, this weekend saw me driving it around and fitting the interior back in and the boot lining.

No welding unfortunately. But pipe should be on the way for IC

Next week, i SHOULD have a working turbo
Thanks given by:
How are you driving it round without a working turbo? Just open wg?
Thanks given by:
(27-11-2016, 07:43 PM)Eeyore Wrote: How are you driving it round without a working turbo? Just open wg?

Sorry, detached manifold... just keeping I ticking over, only up and around the yard

It's still MOT'd but currently SORN
Thanks given by:
Nice work, I'm doing the same conversion and it's pretty much going to be the twin of your car by the look
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2016, 09:44 PM)BashRacing Wrote: Nice work, I'm doing the same conversion and it's pretty much going to be the twin of your car by the look

Scabby and boosted?  Rofl

Give me a heads up if you get stuck along the way
Thanks given by:
Thumbs Up 
Yeah my paintwork looks like it's spent the last 19 years in the desert sun, 
I might give it a paint and roller job though to ''smarten it up'' [Image: thumbsup.png]
Thanks given by:
nice project, always fancied a 205 .....
Thanks given by:
Today saw a lot more work.

- Installed piping for boost gauge and fuel pump
- Fitted the oil feed (return line is on the way)
- Finished welding manifold to turbo
- Welded up the flange
- Began cutting and welding for exhaust
- Fired it all up (with oil drain into a bottle) and all is well

[Image: kWMvBim.jpg]

[Image: ccqgrRX.jpg]

[Image: AvBFZPN.jpg]

[Image: wlLsys7.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Project "KEV"....boosted Mini Piggy 59 18,324 24-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  Joey the VNT boosted 205! Tom 1,012 510,076 05-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard