Hard wring a dashcam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard wring a dashcam
Morning All Big Grin

Gonna be hard wring a dash cam in over the weekend, any suggestions on which live fuse to piggyback off?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
prob the one to the stereo tbf, as you dont want it running when ignition is off, or you will flatten the battery Smile .

that would be the easiest way to do it, and depending upon its position in the car, if it is truly dash mounted, not far from the camera too, but if you have one of those window mounted ones, i would go somewhere from behind the fuse box and run the wires up the driver side pillar
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
It depends if your dash cam has a parking feature? If it does you'll need a permanent live.
Thanks given by:
Has a parking feature which I wanted to use, so a permanent live is needed.

As for draining the battery, has a cut off sensor, if the battery drops below a certain voltage the cam powers off.
Thanks given by:
What camera did you get?
Thanks given by:
(03-06-2016, 01:49 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: What camera did you get?

Nextbase 512G: http://www.nextbase.co.uk/dashcams/in-ca...-dash-cam/

..but not at that price!!
Thanks given by:
I just got a switchable set of ciggy lighter sockets wired in to where the origional one used to feed from and then plugged it into that can switch it on and off when needs be, my front one is built into the mirror and if you look closely you'll see the sneaky rear one that plugs into the top of the front one.
[Image: 03ab27a08766bec12deaae6c950979f4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
thats simple then, just take the feed for the cigarette lighter Smile mine is on permanently.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
I have my camera running off a secondary cigarette lighter hidden behind the centre console (Thanks to JJ0063 for the idea Wink ), means the 12v adapter in the ashtray is free for phone charger or similar should it be needed, but the camera always has power. Smile
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(03-06-2016, 07:21 PM)P-Courty Wrote: I just got a switchable set of ciggy lighter sockets wired in to where the origional one used to feed from and then plugged it into that can switch it on and off when needs be, my front one is built into the mirror and if you look closely you'll see the sneaky rear one that plugs into the top of the front one.

There's a boot that's just asking for a break in, no wonder you've got a rear cam! lol

Mines on a switched live using a proper piggy-back fuse in the Focus. Just have to make sure it's one that can take the extra power.
Thanks given by:
(03-06-2016, 08:57 PM)Toms306 Wrote: There's a boot that's just asking for a break in, no wonder you've got a rear cam! lol

Mines on a switched live using a proper piggy-back fuse in the Focus.  Just have to make sure it's one that can take the extra power.

Screw that noise, just twist and tape, job's a good'un! lol

/epicbodgery
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(03-06-2016, 08:57 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(03-06-2016, 07:21 PM)P-Courty Wrote: I just got a switchable set of ciggy lighter sockets wired in to where the origional one used to feed from and then plugged it into that can switch it on and off when needs be, my front one is built into the mirror and if you look closely you'll see the sneaky rear one that plugs into the top of the front one.

There's a boot that's just asking for a break in, no wonder you've got a rear cam! [emoji38]

Mines on a switched live using a proper piggy-back fuse in the Focus. Just have to make sure it's one that can take the extra power.
It does have a parcel shelf to sit over it when out and about, most cars come with them Wink
Thanks given by:
I got a Nextbase 402G a couple of months back, it was pretty simple to wire up to the fuse box in the drivers foot well. Did need to remove a fair bit of trim off - The sun visor, A Pillar plastic shroud and then the interior drivers door rubber seal.

When installing, the wire can be wedged down the side of the dash and fed in to the fuse box from underneath. There is just enough room for the little AC adapter and any additional wiring to fit inside too. On my Phase 3 there was also a hole already in the roof liner from factory so I didn't need to tamper or cut anything.
Thanks given by:
If you want to hide the wire going into the boot it's a pain getting it through the rubber, takes time and alot of swearing (for me anyway lol)
heres a better pic of mine, at the minute the mirror one is in the focus so cables just plugged to the 12v socket.
[Image: 0eed6e5c7ed882922a84eb9e624eae46.jpg]
[Image: 6e4b87647c2e4d6c06a30476749b78b4.jpg]
Thanks given by: mackat
Thanks Chaps -

Sorted, piggybacked of the hazard warning lights for a permanent live, but the camera never turns off even with the auto-shutdown etc turned on. Moved it to the reverse light fuse and works a treat Smile

Routed it up into the overhead lights, across to the left and down the A-piller, negative goes through the bulkhead to the battery and positive goes under the dash to the fuse.

Now to buy the rear camera :p
Thanks given by:
the hazards are permenant when ignition is off so would constantly be on charge whereas the reverse light power is off an ignition supply, least its all in and sorted now, just need to get some good footage on it [emoji106]
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2016, 05:58 PM)P-Courty Wrote: the hazards are permenant when ignition is off so would constatly be on charge whereas the reverse light power is of an ignition supply, least its all in a sorted, now just need to get some good footage on it [emoji106]

Was recording all the time with the permanent connection, but happy with the ignition supply.

Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Just don't go record your own crash eh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYdS3hLbOHE (Don't worry, car was back on the roads 3 days later and nobody was injured Smile )
Thanks given by:
horrible when the sun hits in such a way, i was working in the lake district and going through a wooded area the sun kept shining through gaps and all i would see is a reflection of my dash on the windscreen and nearly hit a post, glad you and everyone else were ok.

How come your cams in km/h? Certainly looks like your in the uk Wink
Thanks given by: