Tom's Sanitary towel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom's Sanitary towel
I really like this shape of fiesta obviously I think the blue tinted dash top is horrid and the stripes are chavy but ford owners like that sort of thing.

IIRC Mk3 mondeo calipers and ST170 discs apparently make a great brake upgrade.

There is an article on these in this months PPC magazine too if you are interested. Actually I could probably photo it and post it up if you wanted.

(02-06-2016, 05:14 AM)procta Wrote: A good deal there tom, about time you got a little pocket rocket. 150 bhp in a car that size isn't to be laughed at, but I think the 150 bhp from a 2 litre engine is a little disappointing,

"de-tuned" from the factory mate to make the gains from dealers offering the Montune IIRC upgrades seem greater (like Peugeot being very pessimistic on the XSi power to make the GTi6 look faster)
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2016, 06:38 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: IIRC Mk3 mondeo calipers and ST170 discs apparently make a great brake upgrade.

If you join the Fiesta ST Owners club then you'll see my 'How to Guide' on fitting the Mondeo brake upgrade
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2016, 06:38 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I really like this shape of fiesta obviously I think the blue tinted dash top is horrid and the stripes are chavy but ford owners like that sort of thing.

IIRC Mk3 mondeo calipers and ST170 discs apparently make a great brake upgrade.

There is an article on these in this months PPC magazine too if you are interested. Actually I could probably photo it and post it up if you wanted.

(02-06-2016, 05:14 AM)procta Wrote: A good deal there tom, about time you got a little pocket rocket. 150 bhp in a car that size isn't to be laughed at, but I think the 150 bhp from a 2 litre engine is a little disappointing,

"de-tuned" from the factory mate to make the gains from dealers offering the Montune IIRC upgrades seem greater (like Peugeot being very pessimistic on the XSi power to make the GTi6 look faster)

Cheers Chris, the stripes have grown on me, it's obviously not 'professional' for an office manager but on a fun car I think they work. I don't really understand the blue tint on the dash though, doesn't add anything at all!

If it's not too much trouble I'd be interested in that article, I don't get any car mags lol.

And yeah they are detuned, and also purposely restricted by the exhaust so I keep being told lol.

(02-06-2016, 06:45 AM)Silky Wrote:
(02-06-2016, 06:38 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: IIRC Mk3 mondeo calipers and ST170 discs apparently make a great brake upgrade.

If you join the Fiesta ST Owners club then you'll see my 'How to Guide' on fitting the Mondeo brake upgrade

The car already has stickers on it so I guess I should join that forum! Might even find an old project thread detailing how to paint the dash badly and fit a worse stereo... lol

In other news, this is now taxed, insured and ready to go. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Got the key sorted this morning, amazingly I got the code right first time... lol

£8 for a plain key cut there and then at Ford, not bad imo. Can now open the boot so well worth it, was worried about getting a flat tyre and trying to get the spare out through the rear seats lol.

In future I may put the original ignition barrel back in, and have this blade copied onto a blank RCL blade to swap onto my fob so that all locks are the same.

Took the Fiesta down there and I've gotta say I'm pretty impressed. Got stuck in solid/crawling traffic for 15 mins (forgot the Suffolk show was on!) and it didn't overheat or burn the clutch out. Got a little over zealous when I got out the traffic and it pulls well too haha. The '6 would have it top end, but it'd be damn close 0-60! But the best part for me is the forgiving ride, even on those daft tyres. Also sounds nicer at speed too, not deafening like the Magnex'd '6. Tracking is out though - don't think I've ever bought a car where it's not, how do people put up with wonky steering wheels?? Confused And it makes a mess of dropping to idle sometimes, drops too far to like 500rpm, then up to 1500rpm before settling, not sure if that's a fault or if it's just something to get used to, might even be that I'm not giving it enough revs on low speed manoeuvres and its trying to compensate. Also found out it has an MPG computer, didn't even know any mk6s did lol, it reckons it's doing 32mpg avg atm but I'll reset it when I fill up and see what it does with me. So all in, I much prefer it to the '6 and am glad I swapped. Smile
Thanks given by:
Decent! I'd do that if I were you. I take it you managed to build the barrel back up and the new key fits it and it still functions?
Thanks given by:
(01-06-2016, 11:53 AM)lolsteve Wrote: Would really like one of these if the engine wasnt so disapointing
150 from 2.0l isn't brilliant

147bhp and approximately the same weight as my gti6 as well so yeah, not that quick in a straight line at all as standard. They do tune well, and they do handle nicely.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Go to fiesta network and you'll find my guide for fitting those 300mm brakes to the front of a festa lol

Ford have always been slightly underpowered compared ro rivals...
But the chassis is where the money has gone. Epic chassis...can use all the power, all the time.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2016, 11:34 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: Decent! I'd do that if I were you. I take it you managed to build the barrel back up and the new key fits it and it still functions?

I haven't had a chance to rebuild the old barrel yet. But the new key works in the door and boot so no reason it shouldn't in the ignition barrel...unless I mess up putting it back together lol. I'm not that bothered by a separate key tbh, it'll just look better when sold if it's all one key

(02-06-2016, 11:49 AM)RetroPug Wrote:
(01-06-2016, 11:53 AM)lolsteve Wrote: Would really like one of these if the engine wasnt so disapointing
150 from 2.0l isn't brilliant

147bhp and approximately the same weight as my gti6 as well so yeah, not that quick in a straight line at all as standard. They do tune well, and they do handle nicely.

Only because you have a ph1 '6 lol! Tongue The ph3s are quite a bit heavier tbf.

The ST weighs 1165kg on the V5 and 147bhp - 126bhp/tonne
Ph3 GTi6 weighs 1215kg on Parkers (doesn't say on the V5) and 167bhp - 137bhp/tonne
Focus weighs 1357kg and 140bhp - 103bhp/tonne

But it's a different drive from the '6 as well, not all about the power figure, power comes in sooner, which does hamper the top end I admit but most of my driving is B roads where I prefer the power a bit further down. Personal preference really. I certainly don't feel as if it's slow enough to make me want the '6 back, or that it's not faster than the Focus enough to be more fun. Smile
Thanks given by:
So apparently the idle issue is normal... What kind of crap ECU can't cope with a bit of coasting!? lmao

http://fordfiestast.co.uk/ubbthreads.php...d/1#import

http://fordfiestast.co.uk/ubbthreads.php...d/1#import

But on the plus side, it didn't show any faults at all on Forscan. Smile
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2016, 08:39 AM)Toms306 Wrote: If it's not too much trouble I'd be interested in that article, I don't get any car mags lol.

I might do it tomorrow if not after FCS.
Thanks given by:
Had a cleaning day at Rowells yesterday and made it a bit too shiny to photograph...

[Image: lqL73zU.jpg]

[Image: LRN70dR.jpg]

[Image: AQPLR2N.jpg]

[Image: dRar0a2.jpg]

[Image: HxvQf3M.jpg]

[Image: O9g4mXZ.jpg]

[Image: 5wnlm0T.jpg]

This evening I gave it a proper check over as I'd just been driving it since the swap, it had been used daily so I assumed it'd all be pretty good with the odd niggle, and was right tbf.

Was given a pair of new droplinks with the car as there is a lot of knocking over rough ground so changed those. The ones on there didn't look all that old but one of the ball joints out found was knackered. Cost me nothing but hopefully that's cured one knock!

While I was down there I noticed these shocks and springs, are either standard? I didn't think it'd been lowered but looks like it has?

[Image: HIdVemg.jpg]

[Image: nLmnpZa.jpg]

Had a good poke around with the pry bar as I'm sure there's more than one knock. All the usual culprits (TRE's etc) seem solid but the lower ball joint on the nearside seems to have a small amount of up & down movement. It is such a small amount I'm wondering if I'm imagining it lol. The BJ is riveted one so looks like a new wishbone if so, but I'm also wondering if it could be an issue with the hub ovalling or the wrong size pinch bolt used? Just don't want to buy a wishbone and find it's not that at fault. Tracking needs doing though so I want this sorted asap first.

[Image: dvMli7Q.jpg]

Whilst in that area, I also noticed the wheel bearing sounds rough. Can't feel any movement in it, and I can't say I've noticed it on the road either, but that's definitely the bearing, right? Easy to change or not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_joQVJzFNO0

The lower engine mount is laughably dead...can move the entire engine with a little finger from underneath...that'll be partly why I'm making a fist of pulling away lol.

[Image: 2aa9qrE.jpg]

What is it with me and gear oil leaks lol. Might clean that up at some point! (PS easiest oil filter ever lol)

[Image: k1gWN8V.jpg]

Whilst the front was up I checked what I could of the air con system as that's currently not working. All looks ok and I cant see any dye so 'may' just get away with a regas.

And then this happened. FML. Sad I wasn't sure if these were 95Nm or 110Nm torque...either way, it didn't make 95! Not that fussed about changing them, the Focus actually has the wrong ones atm, so will buy the right set for the Focus and put the old ones one here. Problem is I have no idea how to remove this now. All I can think is remove the others, then hammer the key onto this one as well as possible and hope it takes it off even if it chews it more. With the spinning outer I'm not sure how else to remove it!?

[Image: PiSZB8X.jpg]

Noticed a bit of dampness around the NSR and worried it was brake fluid for a few minutes, then saw it was just a leaky shock which is much easier to deal with lol. That'll need replacing though!

[Image: mhi0ICx.jpg]

Yesterday Sam let me know a brake bulb was out (typical, checked all the others lol) so replaced that with a spare I had, free fixes ftw.

[Image: egHmNoe.jpg]

As the boot was open and I hadn't found anything loose round the rear I decided to strip that out to find yet another knock...found it! I guess that pouch isn't standard, would've come with a polystyrene organiser thing originally surely? Not much I could do about it except wedge the pouch under the wheel so hopefully it cant move over bumps...we'll see lol.

I don't really have much budget for this so trying to get it sorted as cheaply as possible. Just to recap -

Soon as possible fixes:
Ball joint/Wishbone
Wheel bearing
Tracking
Lower engine mount
Locking wheel nuts
Rear shock

Would be nice fixes:
Air con regas
Service (inc pipercross panel filter maybe)
PAS fluid change (its cooked lol)
PCM Update (should fix the wanky idle, I'll need an IDS interface though)
Dash change
Stereo change
Paint calipers (red I guess)
Gear surround change (purchased from TD Dan)
Boot popper (As above)
Drivers mat clips
Rim kerbing touch up (are they in Ford Sea Grey?)

That's it for now! Gonna be interesting sorting that all cheaply lol.
Thanks given by:
I have no idea why but I really really like this, think it looks great. It's well known that I hate mudflaps so I'd have to lose them but the car really is nice.
Thanks given by:
Yes its lowered for sure... Standard ST sits much higher than that!
BJs can be ground/drilled out, but thats easier with wishbone off
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2016, 12:16 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: I have no idea why but I really really like this, think it looks great. It's well known that I hate mudflaps so I'd have to lose them but the car really is nice.

They're actual useful on Fords to stop the paint coming off the doors! lol However one is already missing (I didn't notice until Friday!) and they can't really be cleaned as they're not solid like the Focus ones so they may all come off. Not sure yet.

(05-06-2016, 06:51 AM)Piggy Wrote: Yes its lowered for sure... Standard ST sits much higher than that!
BJs can be ground/drilled out, but thats easier with wishbone off

Oh! Confused It's still far more comfortable than the '6, even with the rubber band tyres, not sure how that's possible, do you know if those front shocks are standard? Or what brand the springs are? Seems too comfortable to be Spaxx or something!

I don't have the tools to remove BJ's like that. Only have a dremel or a crap battery drill with blunt bits lol. Could ask Bash to do it but I know he's busy with house stuff atm.
Thanks given by:
ref locking wheel nuts. there are kits to remove them.
ie. http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p81815?s...20nut%20re
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by: fgrc76
(05-06-2016, 09:39 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: ref locking wheel nuts. there are kits to remove them.

I have one of those kits. But these have a separate spinning outer part purposely so people can't use removal keys on them. Sad

Though I imagine with enough brute force and ignorance I could smash that outer ring off maybe.
Thanks given by:
I do like these - honestly, when I saw this I genuinely put my head in my hands and went "oh no..." because, as most said, the engines are seriously underpowered.

Love the shape and drivability though! A nice upgrade! Good work!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2016, 09:47 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 09:39 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: ref locking wheel nuts. there are kits to remove them.

I have one of those kits.  But these have a separate spinning outer part purposely so people can't use removal keys on them. Sad

Though I imagine with enough brute force and ignorance I could smash that outer ring off maybe.

mmmm, bummer! grinder?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Don't take the other nuts off first, they need to be tightened otherwise it's doing more work not less. If they're mcgard you can order replacement keys iirc as you'll have the no on it.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2016, 09:50 AM)ginge191 Wrote: I do like these - honestly, when I saw this I genuinely put my head in my hands and went "oh no..." because, as most said, the engines are seriously underpowered.

Love the shape and drivability though! A nice upgrade! Good work!

I'm getting really bored of hearing 'seriously underpowered'... If the figures weren't written down you wouldn't even know until illegal speeds. Wink

But thanks, I agree on the looks and handling. Big Grin

(05-06-2016, 10:00 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 09:47 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 09:39 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: ref locking wheel nuts. there are kits to remove them.

I have one of those kits.  But these have a separate spinning outer part purposely so people can't use removal keys on them. Sad

mmmm, bummer! grinder?

I don't like grinders, I'm clumsy enough with manual tools let alone power... But I don't think itd work without wrecking the wheel though.

(05-06-2016, 10:01 AM)C2K Wrote: Don't take the other nuts off first, they need to be tightened otherwise it's doing more work not less. If they're mcgard you can order replacement keys iirc as you'll have the no on it.

My poor wording there, I mean remove the other locking nuts first in case I ruin the key! The key still works atm but has about 2mm of play in it lol.

I do have the wheel nut key code that I can order from Ford (or McGard as well?) but it's not just the key, they nuts have been rammed on with an impact gun as they all look a bit dodgy.

As I say though, I have a set of wrong ones (2 piece 110Nm) on the Focus where the wheel bolts are single piece and 130Nm. So either the lockers have to be overtight or the normals have to be a bit lose atm lol. Really not ideal and I can only assume they were replaced before my ownership. However they haven't been munched at all so will buy a new set of one-piece lockers for the Focus (been meaning to for the last month) and put the Focus ones on the Fiesta.
Thanks given by:
Oh yeah forgot to mention this shape of fiesta eats bulbs constantly. lmao
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
People said that about my Focus... I've changed one brake bulb and one sidelight bulb in 20k... lol

I seem to get fairly lucky with bulbs, very rarely to have to change them on any car even though a lot of my driving is rough B roads. Focus is auto lights as well which people reckon is terrible for bulbs lol.
Thanks given by:
Quick update, the passenger side is still very knocky so I'll swap the wishbone. £40 for a Delphi (same as whats already on there) saves a lot of time and hassle trying to remove the BJ separately. May try and sell the old one for a tenner for someone else to swap the BJ if they wish.

Also found out it doesn't have traction control, eager pull away just resulted in spinning up both wheels on a dry road... lol Seems odd on a car like this though.

In other news, bought a boot popper and lower dash trim from td_dan which Rowell collected at FCS so thanks to both of them. Have fitted those bits just now (after many anti-bac wipes on the dash, I hope that was just coffee lol), now the boot pops off the key and the dash button, yay, and the dash doesn't move when changing gear...and isn't a stupidly shiny blue lol. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
for the locking wheel nut, cut some little nicks in the bit that rotates, then fill it with weld, this will fuse it to the locker, then you can use the tool to remove it Smile

Job done.

I am not a massive fan of the new shape fiestas, anything past Mk2 Sad

but yours is growing on me slowly   Tongue
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
No problem tom, and sorry about the state of that literally removed it and threw it in the boot, i also hope it was just coffee lol

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
So I haven't checked any of these photos for quality but they should be OK and they are all in the correct order. Obviously this is just a preview and if you like you should buy the mag as small mags like Practical Performance Car struggle to survive these days with the internet.

Thanks given by:
Nice one Chris, cheers. Smile

I'll have a read through later!
Thanks given by:
You can break of the spinning part of the locknut, If you hit it with a chisel a couple of times, then use the irwin tools.

Front wheel bearing it just a a bearing not a unit so a press is the handiest way.

Looks well btw Tom.
Thanks given by:
So I'd better update this with all the latest f*ck ups, fed up of doing one job and causing another 3 tbh! Rolleyes

So new bopper works well

[Image: mYMoWET.jpg]

Current fleet

[Image: 7ftWICk.jpg]

Finally replaced the ruined foam in the Halfords box, no more socket rattle!

[Image: 43EBKcj.jpg]

[Image: JnsOzFa.jpg]

Some parts came yesterday

[Image: 67N4WbX.jpg]

I further ruined the broken locker with a chisel before finding a much easier way to acquire a new set of alloys. Wink

[Image: ogfbdyE.jpg]

Swapped lower engine mount - Bilstein not as good quality as Ford

[Image: bBAJsyl.jpg]

[Image: nxmYMqL.jpg]

Painted calipers with Hammerite Oxford blue - had it left from the China GTi6 lol

[Image: mNdtAYj.jpg]

New set of lockers turned up, about £8 inc postage next day, no damage to lockers or key

[Image: HrAKKaK.jpg]

Fitted new wishbone. This has cured the knock but was a complete arse to remove from the Q bush (may have just made that up but its not P shaped lol) they were so tight I bent one removing it! Dissimilar metal corrosion I assume.

[Image: i4Lgd57.jpg]

Fking shock leaking oil all over the carpark...guess it'll go nicely with the '6s gear oil. Dodgy

[Image: dNEayUp.jpg]

Then I completely ruined removing it so it's still leaking all over the car park. Sad

[Image: XSioQzb.jpg]

Just been out and buggered a stupid sidewall on a pothole...how anyone gets on with low profiles I have no idea. Stopped at the petrol station to fill it up to get me home...and notice this has happened to my freshly painted caliper.

[Image: vYCFQAQ.jpg]

I honestly give up!!
Thanks given by:
Had a slightly more productive day today lol...

Bought this...

[Image: 0S4rpjk.jpg]

Found the LP port

[Image: NZWv5ca.jpg]

Slowly added gas until the compressor kicked in, but it kept coming on and off so bridged the pressure switch to keep it running and filled to the correct pressure. Now has ice cold air con! Big Grin

[Image: jI66fsi.jpg]

How long for? Who knows lol! But it's icy cold for now and really cheap as well, only used about half a can, so works out as £10 of gas after I do Dads Mondeo and return the empty can. The adapter & gauge was £15 on trade but is obviously reuseable and works as a test even without the can attached. Good value for money imo.

Followed up with an air con bomb to freshen it up inside and then added a blue Jelly Belly as fed up with magic trees that only last half an hour. Theyre also on offer in Tesco atm so the Focus got a black one lol.

[Image: GoL14Vh.jpg]

Also swapped the green 'someone was gullible enough to pay for nitrogen in their tyres' dust caps for some black ones as the green kept drawing my eye in annoying way, added an extra colour that didn't match anything. Black ones for now anyway, you all know I like chavvy dustcaps haha.

[Image: Vb4DUOB.jpg]

Give it a quick wash...single bucket, watering can, window cleaner, quick detailer and tyre black. Tried the Sea Grey touch up on an alloy...they've very much NOT sea grey though so quickly gave up there lol. Then yellowed the fogs with some amberlight that I had spare. Not sure how bad they look now as it rained shortly after but we'll see I guess lol.

[Image: lYbplKM.jpg]

[Image: m6ICgRM.jpg]

[Image: tFZVMej.jpg]
Thanks given by: