Tom's Sanitary towel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom's Sanitary towel
(24-08-2016, 05:18 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Well there we go, reply from DVSA!

Dear Tom,

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 23rd August 2016, concerning the above.

In the method of testing in the MOT Manual it does not mention the tilting mechanism. The method of inspection is that they must check the drivers seat position can be adjusted forwards and backwards and can be secured in the selected positions.

Wink

Told you bro
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Oh I wasn't suggesting you guys were wrong lol!! In fact, I haven't found another person that agrees with this tester so far from about 30 odd people now, 5 of which are testers, one is an ex-VOSA inspector. lol I just wanted proof from the DVSA that he is in the wrong.

Also I've had another look at the brake pipes, one side looks ok to me, advisory maybe but shouldn't have failed imo. Confused
Thanks given by:
Also told you so lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Mine failed on my rear alfa seats for same reason not secure in upright position yet they were on the peugeot brackets (granted adjusted a little to fit but still as solid as standards) with a steel bar that clicks into the little release hooks near the rear windows. I never found them unsecure or falling down/wobbling when i drove also had people in the back and they never thought they were unsecure and didn't fall into the boot on acceleration lol, in the end removed them, if they aren't there they can't be tested meaning they can't fail. m.o.t just stated "rear seats missing at time of test" and passed.

Going off that surely if your seat is in a secure upright position and can't be pushed up or down by hand then they should pass it.
The handle to adjust to another upright position can't be tested as it's not there so they can't fail anything considering the seat is secure in the position you have left it for the test.
Thanks given by:
Not sure I can just leave the drivers seat out for the test lol. Wink

But yeah as above, even DVSA have confirmed it's not a fail!

I also realised last night (sleepless night with the heat and this MOT shite bouncing round my brain) there is no 'passenger side fore and aft movement' fail on the manual. So if it was the tilt handles to let people out of the rear, there would need to be a passenger side one as well!
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2016, 04:09 PM)Toms306 Wrote: So brake pipes weren't unexpected.  Although apparently they shouldn't actually be a fail unless they're leaking, just an advisory (according to a Ford MOT tester).  However they do obviously need doing so I'm not too bothered by that.

So from what this ford mot tester is saying brake pipes shouldn't fail unless they are actually leaking? Best choose who you listen to if that's the case IMO. I've had brake pipes pop on me when moting and they haven't looked that bad, you can't take any risks with brake pipes IMO.
Thanks given by:
He said the actual fail is if the pipes have lost a certain amount of thier wall thickness, which can't be tested without cutting the pipes open obviously. It should be advised unless leaking, but if you haven't noticed they're leaking I dare say the rest of the car would be passable!! lol

As I say I'm not bothered about that, one was advised last year and does look well past it now tbh. I don't know why they aren't made better to start with though, I didn't expect to have solid pipes crusty at 8 years old!! Confused
Thanks given by:
You can't really take any gamble with brake pipes though, as you can't be sure sometimes how bad they are as in how much of the wall thickness is left. It just seems a really odd thing for a mot tester to say that they should only fail if they are leaking.

As for brake pipes lasting it all seems like luck of the draw. Different makes of cars tend to use different quality of brake pipe i expect and depends what conditions the car has been in.
Thanks given by:
So I decided to see how badly I could cock this up this evening. Turns out the Mk6 pipes join just by the tank so isn't too bad a job. Access is always a pain with anything under the middle of the car though!

Old pipe removed

[Image: YJ1GyIZ.jpg]

[Image: VLr7gdH.jpg]

New one made up...I'm really not good at this shit, rather buy something ready made! lol

[Image: xjmjkDs.jpg]

Fitted then moved onto the otherside...at which point it got dark so no more pictures. Dark early and too much heat, literally my least favourite time of year! Bled all round in the dark, seem to have a pedal and brakes. Have left it on a 'clean' space for tonight (as opposed to the space it usually has with remnants of GTi6 everywhere!) and will check for leaks in the daylight.

Will probably ask if Bash will just look over them for me as well lol, don't trust myself! lol
Thanks given by:
Do ford not sell the pipes ready made and bent to shape, Peugeot do and they are pretty cheap (£15 for a rear hard pipe on the rallye) and saves alot of faffing about IMO.
Thanks given by:
Not sure. I did ask a Ford tech on the Ford forum and he said they only ever make up the pipes in the workshop so wouldn't be stocked but might be able to order them in. Fordpartsuk don't sell them but I suppose they'd get damaged in the post.

Tbf though, I already had everything to do it except male unions so it only cost £4 or so for a pack of those from Halfords. No point ordering anything for postage on a bank holiday weekend lol.
Thanks given by:
So, I was right not to trust myself!! Scary thing is the brakes worked fine. Confused

So had to tighten the awkward union this morning, re bled and seem to be no leaks so far... Confused

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Always worth getting someone to start the car and push the brakes hard for like 10 seconds to see if there is a leak lol

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Who!? We don't all have a surplus of local people lol!! Sad

Tbf, it was dark and I did it all by feel by the end (need a decent light!) so I'm not surprised it leaked. I'm just surprised how well the pedal felt with a leak, thought it would immediately be spongy but it wasn't.
Thanks given by:
MOT passed this afternoon... Took it to a different station as I can't take the agro of arguing with the other one.

They didn't even mention the tilt handle lol, I expected it to be an advisory tbh!

However they did give an advisory on this tyre...not sure how thats near the limit but meh, I couldn't care less about advisories lol.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
yayyyy
Thanks given by:
So, last few weeks of the ST now, got about 150 miles of petrol to burn in a fortnight, and will be for sale towards the end of September if anyone's interested, £2.5k asking price. Will obviously make a proper ad with specs when the time comes.

But for now, here's Fiesta in a Field Friday...I forgot it was Friday so should've been 'Front End'... lol

[Image: fyc1B07.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Why you selling Tom? You'll do well to get 2.5k for it, and most people on the forum here know how much you (kinda) paid for it aha Tongue Does look clean though so GLWTS when the time comes buddy Smile
Thanks given by:
I paid a 306 for it, which owed me considerably more than the price I asked for it, I would've lost a hell of a lot if the '6 had sold. By the end of September the ST will owe me exactly £2.5k (taking the GTi6 costs into account) which is why it's being sold. Simple as that, purely financial reasons, I may get 2.5k for it through the fb groups, but definitely won't get any more that that. Smile
Thanks given by:
If it owes you £2.5k you MUST be including every penny you've spent including tax, insurance, fuel, modifications, MOT cost plus any work you've done on it?
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2016, 09:21 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: If it owes you £2.5k you MUST be including every penny you've spent including tax, insurance, fuel, modifications, MOT cost plus any work you've done on it?

Of course, it's all money lol! All comes from savings as I obviously don't 'earn' enough for a second car. The interest rate on the account is now 0.3%, £2.5k over 6 months would've earnt £7.50...might as well use it and have some fun with it rather than leave it in there, even if I lose a couple of hundred I'd say it it was worth it. Smile
Thanks given by:
Would've earn't £3.75 Tom
Thanks given by:
Oh really? Maths isn't my strong point! lol
Thanks given by: