206 will not start

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
206 will not start
A friend has a 206 sw estate? about 04 ish reg 1.9 turbo diesel hdi that looks very similar engine to the 2l hdi in our estate.

The problem started some time ago, about six months now.

The car was running great he said before he parked it up. During that time ( several weeks i think ) the battery went flat ( no energy in the battery ) .

He fitted a new battery and tried to start the engine. No go. it would crank but not start.

He fitted an new key battery ( the little black chip is in there, i saw it today ), still no go. He has the owners book so has followed the info in there to the letter?

He has had some block look at it with a snap on diagnostics, still no go.

He knows that the tank fuel lift pump does not run via the key, as he cannot hear it. The black lift pump cover is off so if it does run we will hear it easily. He has run a "hot wire" to the lift pump and it does work.

This has been going on for weeks.

Since i have pp now, i hooked it up to the car this afo, after some basic checks under bonnet.

Some faults came up ( pp showed the vin number that tallies, but the rp code on the d/door pillar sticker was obliterated, so we used the screen vin number 4418 from memory ) such as dash fault, abs fault and ecu not responding.

I am still a tyro especially on 206 and pp. How can pp be made to display fault codes?? presumably ecu needs to "talk" for this??

He has checked fuses visually, and now will check them electrically ( they may look ok, but may not be electrically ) and has gone thru the routine for disconnecting and re connecting battery, as well as for key battery.

Where would be the double relay for fuel lift pump be, would a red crash inertia switch ala 306 be fitted and where?

Have seen on similar post to check that the ign switch is working properly, which wire would supply the ecu? I have told him to attend to earth from g/b ( battery to g/box ok as engine cranks over ok, if a bit sluggish ) to chassis rail, and fit an extra earth from battery earth to close strut bolt.

Will try and find info as to earth points and "black box" locations.

The car is quite damp inside, with the carpet under the heater area passenger side being wet.

All/any help greatly appreciated. thanks.

If he cannot get this car to run, and mot'd, he will break it for spares.

We would like to buy it but it has to run and have an mot, would be good car for the lad/lady, to get to work etc.

The engine sounds as if it is trying to start on one cylinder, but maybe thats 1 good compression and 3 bad, or visa versa, the cam does turn when engine cranked so cam belt probably ok, timing wise.
Thanks given by:
if you dont put the correct rpo number in pp wont load the correct driver set for the car selected
you can get the RPO for the car from service box by entering the VIN number and looking at the build info

once you have this look via planet at the car and see if the immo is unlocking

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
thanks cully, wilco
Thanks given by:
If its a turbo I'm pretty sure it's 2.0 HDi, the 1.9 diesel is NA. Don't think PSA ever did a 1.9 HDi!

Have a look at the BSI (fusebox essentially) under the bonnet and check this plug in particular for burning or corrosion, this is the fuel pump pin as I had the same fault on this 206 HDi, fuel pump wouldn't run on the key. Would be a coincidence if it worked fine before he took it off the road though I guess.

[Image: IMAG3900_zpsb6ee0687.jpg]

[Image: IMAG3898_zpsdeb1f7c5.jpg]
Thanks given by:
cool, thanks, wilco and report back, will see him tomorrow late afo
Thanks given by:
Checked that red plug/socket in under bonnet fuse box, which was ok, as are the other 2.

Saw about oil level sensor being an earth for speedo stuff, as speedo /dash was showing faults on pp, will check that next.

Turns out it is a 2litre dw10 engine after all.

Have vin number again ( lost the bit of paper ) so will get rp code for next meeting.
Thanks given by:
Does anyone know if the immobiliser runs through the clocks on these? It does on modern Vauxhalls and Fords so when the clocks break the immob gets stuck on which is fairly common due to 'eco friendly' solder used in them lol.
Thanks given by: Xsikid
pp did show a dash problem and the centre dash bit lights up as economy mode, so could be a dash problem?? will note down more accurate info on next meeting with car. is there stuff under the passenger glove box area like on a 306, as that area is damp and the carpet wet??
Thanks given by:
Oh economy mode is just a battery saving thing, it's not as serious as it looks lol, that'll go as soon as it runs.

Note down, or picture, all fault codes just in case they are of use.

Is it coolant on the floor? Leaky matrix maybe? I can't remember if there are any plugs under there though I'm afraid.
Thanks given by:
Thanks tom, will check about wet carpet and coolant.
Thanks given by: